2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (AaronSF, 13bwl, beeboss, Boboulus, Alex C, Animisha, Beemer, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 903 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3168030 11/02/21 11:30 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello, I've been learning for a little over a year, had to stop lessons because of the pandemic and at this point I'm mostly studying by myself while I get ready to go back to in person classes. I just got a digital piano and since my old keyboard had key sensitivity I thought I wasn't too behind on that but boy was I wrong, I'm having a hard time adjusting, specially fingers 4 and 5 are all over the place, either I play too hard or too soft. Is there any exercises to help with that? Thank you.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
TheLadyBee #3168042 11/02/21 12:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Hi LadyBee! Welcome to Piano World and ABF. smile

This Spring I switched from a digital piano to a VPC1 which is a controller with rather heavy action, and just like you it took me quite some time to adjust. One of the things I did was playing scales and work with dynamics. I started playing legato, trying to make every note equally loud, approximately mezzo forte. Then the same thing non-legato. Then playing scales first piano, then mezzo piano, then mezzo forte, and then forte, once again first legato and then non-legato. Then scales with a gradual crescendo when going up, and a gradual diminuendo when going down. And finally, the other way around, a gradual diminuendo when going up, and a gradual crescendo when going down.

I did not only play scales, but they certainly helped me a lot to adjust to the action.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
TheLadyBee #3168049 11/02/21 12:45 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Can't say adjusting to the keyboard action alone solves the problem of controlling dynamics.

I've been watching a few online tutorials for beginners. The first thing a teacher would do is get students to focus on using the arm weight to play the keys. Beginners have a tendency to rely on the fingers for playing. Some fingers are stronger than others so it's harder to control dynamics. The fingers should be loose and they only sit on the keys. It's the arm weight that push the keys down.

TheLadyBee #3168125 11/02/21 06:11 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
As far as exercises, just plain old scales work well. 4 octaves, hands together, so you have plenty of time to get louder and softer. Make up your own pattern - start soft and get louder or vice versa. I visualize lifting up the arms to play softer. Thinking about pushing down never really worked for me. Or course, I am not really lifting the arms, just thinking about it. Sort of suspended. Normal arm weight is mf, less to play softer, more to play louder.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
TheLadyBee #3168176 11/02/21 11:38 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by TheLadyBee
either I play too hard or too soft. Is there any exercises to help with that?

An easy technique to improve your dynamic is only focus on dynamic.
What I mean is...
Select a reasonably interesting piece that is not challenging, that you can play fairly well, that you enjoy playing.
Play the whole piece with the same dynamic, start with as soft as you are able to maintain the same dynamic for the whole piece.
Don't change the dynamic.
Record yourself, and listen to it. You'll be shocked at how much the dynamic changes when you're trying really hard not to change it.
Play the same piece, again, at a louder dynamic, keeping that dynamic.
Do it again, louder.
Keep doing this until you play it at the loudest dynamic as you are able to maintain for the whole piece.
Repeat the whole process but at a faster tempo, starting at a low dynamic.
Repeat the whole process at an even faster tempo.
Do this until you've had enough.
It should get about as tedious as scales, but the improvement happens when all you can think of is how tedious it is.
You'll be amazed at how your dynamic control improves.

Last edited by JohnnyIssieBangie; 11/02/21 11:39 PM.
TheLadyBee #3168189 11/03/21 12:53 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by the LadyBee
. . .I just got a digital piano and since my old keyboard had key sensitivity I thought I wasn't too behind on that but boy was I wrong, I'm having a hard time adjusting, specially fingers 4 and 5 are all over the place, either I play too hard or too soft. Is there any exercises to help with that? Thank you.

To be clear:

. . . What make/model was your old keyboard?

. . . What make/model is your new instrument?

If the new one is sold as a "digital piano", it will probably have keys which are "weighted" or "hammer-action". If the old one had "key sensitivity" or "touch sensitivity", it might have had either "weighted" keys, or "synth-action / spring-action" keys.

Going from synth-action (unweighted) to weighted keys can be quite a shock. The fundamental technique of pressing down a key is different, and you'll have to adjust.

Something like Sam_S's suggestion is a good one. Just play scales (including those with lots of black keys) slowly, concentrating on getting the sound to be even, note-to-note.

If you're going to re-start lessons, make sure your teacher understands that you're not used to weighted keys, and that you need some remedial work on "using arm weight", and evening-out your dynamics when using different fingers.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
TheLadyBee #3168193 11/03/21 01:18 AM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Talking about exercises, Hanon's no. 5, 11, 12 are good for training fingers 4 and 5 to begin with. You may play it increasing loudness with each pattern or playing one pattern pp, then the next mf, then p, then f, then mp, then ff.

TheLadyBee #3168216 11/03/21 04:47 AM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I'm not sure if this will make sense over text, but here goes:
Practice lifting and dropping fingers 4 and 5 properly. Try to ensure that the knuckles of each finger do not collapse while pressing a note. Gradually increase the pressure you put on the finger.

TheLadyBee #3168400 11/04/21 03:16 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I am of the opinion if you are a beginner forced without a teacher to self learn it's best not to practice incorrect technique. I am not sure the advice is all useful. you may just practice incorrect technique with no guidance of new exercises. I therefore would avoid piano exercises entirely to avoid practicing incorrect technique. I would suggest you try to find appropriate level music until you get back in person lessons. It was my tactic but I went back to online lessons. Most teachers now do face to face so it's a good reason to restart. You can learn to control the sound by pressing keys speeds with any music really and I would just play previously learnt music and if you can manage then one year of lessons is enough to play simple music. Good luck

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,112
Posts3,192,233
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission