2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Everyone

wasn't sure where to post this particular thread
so I hope it makes the rounds on all the Forums

If you go into a users profile page, there is a button that says 'IGNORE USER'

It will remove all of a particular users comments from your view if they become excessively rude, annoying or insulting.

I have recently found it very useful and didn't know it existed
but wanted everyone to know it exists

thank you Administrators.

BRDWYGUY

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
FYI

Once you have hit the button 'IGNORE USER' you won't see anything that this user writes, and you may get very confused in a thread when somebody reacts on the user that you ignore, and you simply cannot understand what is going on.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
FYI

Once you have hit the button 'IGNORE USER' you won't see anything that this user writes, and you may get very confused in a thread when somebody reacts on the user that you ignore, and you simply cannot understand what is going on.

Yea, I kind of feel the same way. Not that this happens often, but when you use the "Ignore User" option, it is almost like giving another member free reign to talk bad about you or say derogatory things about you behind your back, because you can't read what they are saying about you.

I certainly don't like confrontation, and the Moderators usually don't tolerate it, if they know about it, but I'd rather know what someone is saying about me that the entire cyber world can read, in case I need to defend myself. smile

Just my .02 on the subject.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You can also "Un-Ignore" people.

Everyone is capable of growth; even persons who annoy at one time can become neutral in effect, and even charming, at another time.

They can even be gone, if the management deems their transgressions more trouble to tolerate than their content is worth. On the old bbs system--- what was its name---Oh! GeNie, wow, that's been awhile--- the Ignore flag had two settings: IG for a temporary IGnore timeout, which would expire if not refreshed, and Permanently IGnore, whose flag was PIG. Neither state was visible to users at large; probably the mods could see it.

The impoundment of guilty electrons....

Clef

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
One thing I will say besides “Thank You Moderators” is that a Forum is a bit of old fashioned social media so there’s typically much less arrogant poopyheads shouting at longtime members than Twitter or FaceButt. This is exactly why I much prefer the PianoWorld Forum. Also , absolutely none of my friends or family would ever read PianoWorld, so any insults received here are kept here. 😁

If I’ve been insulted by someone I just use my own “ignore user” button in my head and continue to enjoy reading other members posts.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm rather fond of the spam filter on my email, too

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Originally Posted by j&j
If I’ve been insulted by someone I just use my own “ignore user” button in my head and continue to enjoy reading other members posts.

Same here, j&j. I much prefer that "ignore user" button in my own head, although it is nice to have the electronic option here for those who prefer it. Not that I have a lot of enemies here on PW, but there are a few members here that I try to steer clear of as best I can (and, I have my reasons).

However, I've learned that Piano World is a lot like the real world; there are some who will launch a personal attack against you for little or no reason, although that doesn't happen here nowadays as much as it has in the past.

And, to think there was a time I thought everyone here liked me... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by j&j

Same here, j&j. I much prefer that "ignore user" button in my own head, although it is nice to have the electronic option here for those who prefer it. Not that I have a lot of enemies here on PW, but there are a few members here that I try to steer clear of as best I can (and, I have my reasons).

However, I've learned that Piano World is a lot like the real world; there are some who will launch a personal attack against you for little or no reason, although that doesn't happen here nowadays as much as it has in the past.

Rick

Everybody here does like you, Rick!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by j&j

Rick

Everybody here does like you, Rick!

Gee, thanks j&j! Not sure everyone feels that way, but we all like to be liked, as opposed to being not liked. smile

And, your comments remind me of some of the lyrics to my latest original Blues song, "Pride comes before the fall". I certainly don't want to be overcome with too much pride, or an ego as tall as Mount Everest.

Also, I've learned that we are all human and we all have our "quirks", as it were. However, it is nice to try and see the best in other people, as opposed to being too judgmental.

Rick

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
However, it is nice to try and see the best in other people, as opposed to being too judgmental.
Good advice for these troubled times.

Seiler SE-186

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I sort of wish the ignore feature really did make them invisible in the same way that a lot of social media sites work. The way it replaces the posts with a message that "you are ignoring this user" (or something like that) usually just piques my curiosity enough to click it see what they said! crazy

But I've only had a couple people on "ignore," and they've both drifted away anyway.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MrSh4nkly
However, it is nice to try and see the best in other people, as opposed to being too judgmental.
Good advice for these troubled times.
Especially during these stressful times of the pandemic where we walk around masked and we cannot do the things that we used to, to just keep ourselves"normal" (For a better word) Since we have been vaccinated we have started to return to.lives again.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have never felt the need for such a feature on any site or app. Perhaps I have a hide like an elephant.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I had no idea, until this thread came up, that the 'ignore' option existed and now that I do know I have no desire to use it.

I'm obliged to say however that in a fit of wistful melancholy I recently spent some time reading back through my own comments and I can't now help thinking that some sort of internal 'ignore' option mightn't occasionally have been a bad thing.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I have never felt the need for such a feature on any site or app. Perhaps I have a hide like an elephant.

Philip, I would imagine that living and working in different parts of the world, you have gained/acquired certain people skills that many of us do not have.

There have been times when I wished my skin were much thicker. But it is difficult to change who we are, or thicken our skin on the spur of the moment.

I've always enjoyed your posts and comments, and there was never a need for thick skin. smile

Rick

Originally Posted by Jean Claude
I had no idea, until this thread came up, that the 'ignore' option existed and now that I do know I have no desire to use it.

I'm obliged to say however that in a fit of wistful melancholy I recently spent some time reading back through my own comments and I can't now help thinking that some sort of internal 'ignore' option mightn't occasionally have been a bad thing.

Hello, Jean Claude,

I too have read some of my prior threads/posts here from years ago, usually by chance, or someone will revive an old thread I participated in, and it seems like I was some how a different person back then. But I know I'm not a different person, and hopefully, more polite, wiser and wittier than before.

I've always tried to be polite here on PW, and contribute in a positive way, but we all have bad days from time to time. And, some bad days are worse than others... smile

It is a good thing, however, to keep in mind that what we write here on PW, on the Internet, stays here. Unless a particular thread gets removed by the moderators, it remains in perpetuity, as does our comments.

When we stop and think about that fact, that in itself, can help us keep that "internal ignore button" on at all times.

Rick

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I wish I knew there was an ignore button. My eyes seem to be permanently fixed looking upwards with all eye rolls I’ve done over the past couple of years. Sigh…

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
FYI

That seems to be my default setting even without an ignore button.

Gary

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jean Claude

Hello, Jean Claude,

I too have read some of my prior threads/posts here from years ago, usually by chance, or someone will revive an old thread I participated in, and it seems like I was some how a different person back then. But I know I'm not a different person, and hopefully, more polite, wiser and wittier than before.

I've always tried to be polite here on PW, and contribute in a positive way, but we all have bad days from time to time. And, some bad days are worse than others... smile

It is a good thing, however, to keep in mind that what we write here on PW, on the Internet, stays here. Unless a particular thread gets removed by the moderators, it remains in perpetuity, as does our comments.

When we stop and think about that fact, that in itself, can help us keep that "internal ignore button" on at all times.

Rick

thumb

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
My eyes seem to be permanently fixed looking upwards with all eye rolls I’ve done over the past couple of years. Sigh…

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission