2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
tre corda, in the early 2000s, there were no classic series grands yet, and the Konzert vs. Classic series meant something very different. It was a designation only for the uprights that largely separated the models, not by price or quality, but by the presence of duplex scaling or no. Essentially, newer design along side older or "Classic" design. I actually tended to prefer their Classic upright models at that time, with the C130 being my favorite of Schimmel's uprights.

The Konzert vs. Classic designation was re-appropriated under the direction of Hannes Schimmel-Vogel because Schimmel was greatly expanding their number of lines. The Vogel was a new line, first derived from the Meyer. This is before the May Berlin, which proceeded the Fredolin Schimmel line. The Konzert series grands were introduced and the previous grands were phased out for several years before being re-introduced as the Classic C182 and C208. It was the beginning of the greater variety of lines seen today.

It helps to know how different the lineup was from today, how the branding changed to expand, to then survive the global recession, and to adapt again under current management.

FWIW, the cost then for Renner vs. Yamaha parts was quite small at the wholesale level, and like all manufacturer's, in the fine print, *specifications subject to change.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have heard that the Konzert uprights are made on a very high level.That fewer are made, and that they are made in the same area of the factory where the Konzert grands are made.( from
music proffesionals here.)

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/schimmel/

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Happypuppy on your acquisition of this fine "mutt" of a piano. I love mutts. My last dog, god rest his soul, was the finest dog I've ever met, and he was a big ole mutt. Looks like your piano plays and sounds just as you would like, so what more do you need? Pedigrees are sometimes only worth the paper they're written on. I say go for performance!

Post photos of said mutt in its doghouse, and recordings if you can.

Woof!

Last edited by Emery Wang; 11/05/21 05:26 PM.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
tre corda, in the early 2000s, there were no classic series grands yet, and the Konzert vs. Classic series meant something very different. It was a designation only for the uprights that largely separated the models, not by price or quality, but by the presence of duplex scaling or no. Essentially, newer design along side older or "Classic" design. I actually tended to prefer their Classic upright models at that time, with the C130 being my favorite of Schimmel's uprights.

The Konzert vs. Classic designation was re-appropriated under the direction of Hannes Schimmel-Vogel because Schimmel was greatly expanding their number of lines. The Vogel was a new line, first derived from the Meyer. This is before the May Berlin, which proceeded the Fredolin Schimmel line. The Konzert series grands were introduced and the previous grands were phased out for several years before being re-introduced as the Classic C182 and C208. It was the beginning of the greater variety of lines seen today.

It helps to know how different the lineup was from today, how the branding changed to expand, to then survive the global recession, and to adapt again under current management.

FWIW, the cost then for Renner vs. Yamaha parts was quite small at the wholesale level, and like all manufacturer's, in the fine print, *specifications subject to change.
Thank you for your the clarification PianoWorksATL it does help! 😊
Happypuppie, Congratulations on your Schimmel grand!
From your description the piano sounds very nice.You have found a rather a rare Schimmel piano!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
I have heard that the Konzert uprights are made on a very high level.That fewer are made, and that they are made in the same area of the factory where the Konzert grands are made.( from
music proffesionals here.)

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/schimmel/
That information applies to the last ~12-13 years, and even then with some changes along the way. Prior to that, in the early 2000's, it was factually different. In fact, earlier editions of Fine's publications reflect some of that evolution of the Schimmel brand and manufacturing.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mr Fine himself has answered all my questions regarding the Schimmel K132 including that it has a full Renner action.This agreed with the information I receivedfrom Schimmel Apart from that a proffesional has answered all my questions about my piano., anyway I really did not know Piano Buyer was so out of date about its information..how about their piano ratings or staff picks?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I do not have the actual Piano Buyer book, so just have to rely on the internet version here.I appreciate your knowledge in all of this PianoWorksATL,While I am a trained amateur pianist I do not know much about manufacturing processes.(like my husband always says I am a bit if a dreamer) Most of all I meant no offense to anyone.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
tre corda,

There seems to be a misunderstanding that is dragging out. I was commenting on Schimmel pianos made during the years of ~2000 - 2006 and the series of changes made to the brand, manufacturing and marketing. More specifically, the period of time where Schimmel had to switch from Renner to some Yamaha parts for some of their upright production was less than a year. I don't recall which year.

Mr. Fine updates his information as he gets updates from manufacturers and other verified sources, so the information published today is as current as possible. Previous information gets replaced with more current information. It's only individuals that remember the evolution and history along the way. I was trying to share some of that history.

I'm not disputing what your K132 is, but the original K132 and original C130 were made side by side, with the same high quality of parts and manufacturing. In fact, the full retail price difference between the C130 and K132 in 2001, the first year the K132 was introduced, was less than $3,000. Today, that retail difference is over $11k. Also back then, both models spec'd with a Full Renner action. In later years, the 2 series were stratified and changes were made to specs and production that better fit with the changes to the company. The Konzert stayed at the top while the Classic became a tier down. In the introduction of the Classic series grands ~2006 or 2007, this was clearly evident. Still quite good, but no longer the same overall quality as the Konzert.

I have significant personal issues with the changes to the current rating system, so I will keep my comments brief. If you closely read and follow Mr. Fine's current "Map of the Market" in its entirety, the rating are most closely tied to price, not performance. Earlier "Ratings" were actually more like a traditional rating system that the average consumer might consume. One of his early rating systems contained star ratings for QC, Performance, Warranty, and Information (brand awareness) each as a contributing category to the overall score. And if you follow even further back, Mr. Fine was a bit of a crusader against waves of bad pianos that were brought to the market with little accurate consumer information in his 4 editions of The Piano Book. Those far more technical manuals included ratings that did have to be updated from time to time.

The "staff picks" section is actually tied to a more subjective, though well educated rating system. I appreciate that addition and structure, even if it doesn't offer the underlying reasons. Mr. Fine and his Staff are well educated professionals, some with sufficient technical knowledge to really assess these instruments build quality as it relates to their performance. I rarely find reason to disagree with models chosen as "Staff Picks" though I know that a cursory reading will, again, get the average consumer confused.

Some manufacturers do not report updates to Mr. Fine as often as he updates his publications, though I'm aware he does send out regular requests for updates. For example, one of our brands had not reported pricing updates to him in 2 years, so he continues to post the last pricing he received. I'm nagging the brand to send him updated pricing so that the general public will have an easier time finding it.

Sorry for going off topic. I hope that helps clear things up, tre corda.

Congrats again to the OP.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you ! 😊 I am sorry to have dragged this ssue out like this.I know you are a fine and knowledgeable dealer and I appreciate your patience with me and your explanation.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Sam, thank you for your input and participation on this forum.

If I ever move to the ATL area I know what store I would be buying my piano from.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
H
OP Offline
H
Received the grand today. Looks awesome!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Beautiful. At $8,500 that may be the deal of the year.

Seiler SE-186
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for sharing the photos! It looks beautiful in that space.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your Schimmaha!
It is beautiful in your home.

Learner
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your beautiful piano.That really is gorgeous!

You need to protect the piano from too much light from that window, mainly from sunlight which will cause the finish to fade or crack in time.Also buy a cheap digital hygrometer so you can watch the humidty.Best wishes Happypuppie you are going to love playing thatl Schimmel piano!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Schimmaha - nice one! Someone claim that domain, fast...
Congrats to the OP.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Congratulations on your Schimmaha!
It is beautiful in your home.
Perhaps you can work part time for Piano Buyer?😃

W
W
So glad you pulled the trigger. It looks absolutely beautiful and looks so neat that I am sure it sounds beautiful.
I am sure you would have regretted not buying it, like I do regret not buying 190cm Bluthner grand, that was available for USD 5000 from the year 1987. I could only hope that the this kind of offer will still be available to me in the future.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The fact that there are Yamaha or other parts is neither here nor there, just like it's not an issue putting Renner parts in a NY Steinway.

The only things that count are the geometry and measurements: Things like action spread, alignment, action ratio etc.
If the action is adjustable, and works, plays, and sounds good, it may not be an issue.

S
S
Lovely, congrats. By the way, do not buy a "cheap digital hygrometer", they almost all show the wrong humidity, go for a professional with relative humidity (REL %). And also place a rug under the grand, it will sound better.

Last edited by Starre; 11/07/21 04:56 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission