2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (BravoRomeo, Buzz209, brennbaer, 13bwl, Brinestone, bob@pei, 18 invisible), 891 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I was cleaning the inside of my bottom piano compartment and I turn the damper pedal screw. After that it started to sound funny so I tried to turn the reverse of whichever way I did earlier and now my pedal just doesn't work. Does it make a difference if you step and turn the screw or not step and turn the screw? I think I might have stepped on the pedal one time I tried to reverse whatever I did.

Now when I step on the damper pedal, I can see the lever moving but the damper does lift and (hence) there is no sustain sound.

What happened? Is there anything I can try? I am trying to get my technician and I'm freaking out.

I don't always pick the right words when I speak. That's why I love music. I never have to worry about picking the right words with music.
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
First don’t freak out. You should try posting your question in the Piano Technician’s Forum. Also there are quite a few Piano Techs that read this forum so they should give you some guidance. I know it’s scary but acoustic pianos are pretty durable instruments. Best Wishes on this issue and getting it fixed.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
First don’t freak out. You should try posting your question in the Piano Technician’s Forum. Also there are quite a few Piano Techs that read this forum so they should give you some guidance. I know it’s scary but acoustic pianos are pretty durable instruments. Best Wishes on this issue and getting it fixed.

j&j gives good advice.

My thoughts? There are two possibilities. One, you initially turned the damper pedal adjustment screw so there is less travel on the rod, hence, less travel/movement on the damper system, which the rod actuates. The second possibility is that somehow, the rod came disconnected from the damper lever where the top of damper rod connects to it via a small metal dowel in the end of the wooden rod.

My best guess is that you got the damper rod adjustment screw out of adjustment, (not enough rod travel when pedal depressed) and when you tried to readjust it, you mistakenly turned it the same way instead of the opposite way, making it worse.

You could try again to turn the damper rod adjustment screw in the correct direction in order to add travel to the rod. Look carefully at the screw adjustment mechanism when you make the adjustment to insure you are turning it in the right direction, adding travel/length to the rod.

As j&j said, it is not something that cannot be corrected. Remember, the damper pedal connects to the damper rod, which connects to the damper lever on the damper action, which is part of the piano action. The damper adjustment screw either adds travel/length to the rod or removes/shortens length to the rod adjustment; too short, no damper, too long, too much travel between damper felts and strings, but plenty of damper, or, you have continuous damper, without depressing pedal. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You would have to turn the adjustment nut quite a few times to stop it from working at all, so the most likely is that the damper rod has popped out at the top. If this has happened you'll be able to wriggle the rod about from the bottom and it won't feel connected.

Your tuner will be able to fix it in a jiffy.

Meanwhile you have an excellent opportunity to develop playing without the use of the sustain pedal, which will be very good for you. Try some Bach.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
W
W
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
Your tuner will be able to fix it in a jiffy.

If indeed the damper rod has fallen out of its connection with the action, it is a very simple mechanical problem to fix, and something any piano owner should be able to fix on his own. Just follow the rod up and see if it is connected to the action or not. If not, stick it back into its proper receptacle on the action. Easy.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My dog broke mine. She was on the bench, jumped off and the stool fell. It hit the pedal and chopped the pedal in two. My technician rised it so neatly I can't see the break.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think it is quite beastly of you to blame that poor, innocent hound.

What does 'rised' mean?

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
S
S
rised = to rise (I think :D)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sorry braised. Autocorrect?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,158
Posts3,193,155
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission