2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 47 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 46 47
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobby Simons
As someone who has been planning to get the VPC-1, I hate this oft-reported C-D key gap thing, and am hoping it as been rectified. How many of you owners have the same situation? I can't believe they would ship such a glaring physical defect. Am I just OCD?

I'd love to see photos of your keys to ease my mind.

On my unit, a 5/2016 one, bought used in 7/2020, there are some very small irregularities on some key gaps, but not on C-D but in some other keys. They are really small and I don't find them to be a sign of any problem. I guess the felts and wood have some small tolerances, as will probably happen on acoustic pianos after some use.

I am very picky, but those slightly different gaps don't bother me. I don't know either if they are same way since new, but can say they have not changed visibly on my year of ownership and daily playing.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
G
G
My own device is bran-new. I can see some small irregular gaps between the keys. Personally, I don’t see it as a problem but a feature: in case the wood keys get some small expansion related to the environment relative humidity. You can slide left-right the keys by hand in the gaps. I’m not too worry about it.

Current: HP-307, A-88, VPC1, Garritan CFX
Before: D-20, HP-1700, HP-236
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Here’s something that may be of interest to VPC-1 owners that are struggling with the default 3 way pedal(s) that comes with it;

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=8778

And the device used;

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I haven’t used this personally so cannot deny nor confirm how well it works..

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Yes that can be of help!

For more on this, see:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...-kawai-vpc1-owners-club.html#Post3141162

Cheers and happy pedaling,

HZ

Originally Posted by jamiecw
Here’s something that may be of interest to VPC-1 owners that are struggling with the default 3 way pedal(s) that comes with it;

And the device used;

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I haven’t used this personally so cannot deny nor confirm how well it works..

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Meanwhile, my default pedal is starting to become another instrument "gunk, gunk, gunk" it would go, if I use the sustain pedal and change it. What I'm saying now is -- it's no longer silent.

Well, if it still functions as a 3-pedal unit should, I'm not going to do anything about it, as it's hard to get parts these days... smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw

I read : Just have to say, I'm currently loving my new setup: the Kawai VPC-1 with both the Roland RPU-3 and DP-10 foot pedals plugged into an Audiofront MIDI Expression iO. … it is not really a VPC1 with the default 3 way pedals that comes with it. I guess a VPC1 with ITS pedal set would be more straightforward.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
R
R

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by David Lai
Meanwhile, my default pedal is starting to become another instrument "gunk, gunk, gunk" it would go, if I use the sustain pedal and change it. What I'm saying now is -- it's no longer silent.

Well, if it still functions as a 3-pedal unit should, I'm not going to do anything about it, as it's hard to get parts these days... smile

Unless something is dead or broken inside, VPC pedal problems can be solved by opening, cleaning and lubricating. I have mine VPC for 7 years and my pedal also had a problem with both unpleasant sounds and calibration because the gears inside moved and the pedal did not respond well. But both problems can be solved without special knowledge and tools. After that (two years ago), the pedal still works like new.

Last edited by slobajudge; 10/14/21 09:04 AM.
M
M
Out of curiosity: is anyone able to get a MIDI velocity value (key down/note on) of 127 out of this controller using the normal (flat) velocity curve?

Last edited by Marc345; 10/14/21 06:48 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marc345
Out of curiosity: is anyone able to get a MIDI velocity value (key down/note on) of 127 out of this controller using the normal (flat) velocity curve?

I am afraid of breaking something to reach that level... Usually extreme values are not that useful

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
118 is as high as I go. I set my velocity curves to end at 118.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Sweetwater just received a shipment of VPC1's. They're currently showing 7 available, in case anyone was looking for one...

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
M
M
Originally Posted by Tyr
I am always amazed at how long you have to drive in North America to get an Instrument. Here in Germany there is a store every few miles where you can play and buy pianos. smile

Random pianos, yes, but don't try to find a store to test-play a specific one...

Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Sweetwater just received a shipment of VPC1's. They're currently showing 7 available, in case anyone was looking for one...

Yeah, they are re-appearing everywhere during the last few days, it seems. Retailers in Germany/EU mostly said you'd have to wait until next year before that.... haha.

Last edited by Marc345; 11/12/21 08:29 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
A
A

Last edited by aphexdisklavier; 11/13/21 08:37 AM.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
Quite a large price difference for the VPC1 between Germany and the U.S.: €1,299 (about $1,500) from Thomann, $1,849 from Sweetwater (and every other major U.S. retailer).

I believe Thomann's price includes VAT, while Sweetwater's price does not include local sales tax, which they charge on shipments just about everywhere in the U.S. now.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
T
T
Hello fellow VPC-1 owners,

I have no acoustic piano experience so I can't set the VPC-1 a way that the VST should touch / sound similar the actual instrument.

If the VPC-1 is set to red (default straight line) in velocity, can you share your settings on VSL, Garritan, Pianoteq and similar VST?

Thanks

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 & Casio CT-S1 - VSTs: Boesendorfer 280VC (VSL), C. Bechstein (PT7+) & HB Steinway D, Steingraeber, Bluethner & K2 (PT8.2.0+) - Ableton Live Lite - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD6xx - iloud micro monitors]
R
R
I set my VPC1 velocity curve to green for Pianoteq. I believe that is the recommended setting.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 7
The only VST I own is Pianoteq so, like Ralph1, I use the (recommended) green velocity curve.

M
M
Hello, VPC1 owners and enthusiasts,

I've posted about this on the main digital piano channel and someone directed me here. I'm working my way through the whole thread, but meanwhile here's the problem I'm having:

Most USB cables don't work with my VPC1. I have tried at least eight different cables (both type-B to type-A AND type-B to type-C), and only one has worked, which happens to be the shortest, so it limits configuration options. It doesn't seem to be an insecure port at either end — the cable that works always works without issue. With the others, the computer recognizes the controller by name but that's it, no note signals.

I have not yet tried a MIDI to USB cable, because the replacement power cord I ordered hasn't yet arrived. But the one USB cord working among all those that don't is baffling. If the MIDI cable works, that may be a useful backup, but having the USB option seems pretty important.

Has anyone else experienced similar cabling issues with a VPC1? Or another MIDI keyboard for that matter?

Otherwise I'm loving the keyboard so far. I'm still pondering which software to choose. Since I'm quite new to piano, I'm drawn to Pianoteq's ease of use, but that still leaves the instrument selection. Current frontrunners are the Steinway D and upright packs.

Cheers,
Matthew

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
MM Tango,

How long are the cables that you are trying to use (which are failing) and how long do they realistically need to be?

Also, why not simply use the cable that does work?

Finally, have you tried connecting the VPC1 to other computers (e.g. a Windows-based laptop)?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 33 of 47 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission