2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase a used Kawai RX-3C. I've played on it and fell in love.

Kawai RX-3 Conservatory
6'1" - 186cm
Polished Ebony
N°2451497
16000€ (= 18300 US$)
Apparently in good shape (checked and tuned by professionals)

Do you think it's a good deal for this price ?
The seller says the action is ABS Carbon, but from my understanding this mechanic has been added from 2004 along with Millenium 3 confused and piano has been built in 2002...

Cheers,
Luis

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hello makaveli,
You are correct about the full Millenium 3 action not being installed in Kawai RX grand pianos until 2004. However, the action is mostly made of carbon ABS parts in a 2002 RX-3.
As it seems that you are very happy with the piano, the absence of the full Millenium 3 action is not an issue.
I am unfamliar with piano values in France, but that pricing may give you some room for tactful negotiation.

Good luck!
Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 11/14/21 04:43 PM. Reason: typo
D
D
I just bought a 2004 RX-3 about 4 months ago. It is is great condition and has full millenium action. Paid $16000 USD in New Mexico. I think I could have negotiated it down a bit. My tech says (who also tunes for the local piano store) says it was a decent price considering the condition of the piano. I also really wanted a piano that was local and acclimated to the very dry climate here.

So, I don't know how to compare that to prices in France. I really wanted Full Carbon action and did get that in this piano, so you would have to decide how much that is worth to you. As I was researching age and serial number, a member of this forum who knows Kawai well advised me that there is not a clear cutoff in terms of installation and evolution of the millenium action, so you could have most or some of the Carbon fiber. Easy to see if you see black parts in the action.

So I agree with Robert, probably room for negotiation if it is local. Just remember to factor in moving costs and tuning after it is moved, it will likely need a touch up in any case. I very much like the tone of this piano and find it has fairly full bass sound for its size so if you like it, you are not far off in price.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Perhaps compare prices with other locally available pianos of similar size and year. Even if you find better deals for those pianos but still want the RX-3 (you fell in love with it after all 😍), you can use them as leverage in your negotiation.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
K
K
Hi Makaveli,

It's great that you found an inspiring instrument. Are you buying from a private seller or a business? Was the evaluation of the instrument's condition by an independent technician or by the seller? What other pianos have you been interested in?

To me, the price seems a little on the high side, but it depends on the condition of the instrument and if it just happens to be a brilliant piano in its own individual right. I would expect an RX-3 to sell for the same as or a little less than a Yamaha C3 from the same year. Last time I saw a used RX-2 in good condition at a piano vendor in Denmark, the asking price was 12100 EUR, perhaps with room for a little negociation. Here's a link to that shop, with prices in DKK for comparison - there's no RX-3 but many Yamahas: https://www.vilhelm.dk/.

If I was in your situation, I would perhaps test new Feurich pianos as well, such as the 179 model, which are a little bit cheaper than the RX-3 you found. I've recently tried a specimen that was surprisingly nice.

Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach and Berg
2017 Shigeru Kawai SK-2 (grew up with a 1950'es Zimmermann upright)
D
D
Here in the US the yamahas seem to command a higher price, especially the c3.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for yours replies! smile

It's actually a business and the evaluation was made by the seller. Would it be essential to hire a private technician ? My feeling it that this company is honest.

I haven't been able to try that many piano yet, unfortunately Feurich are not common where I live.

I'm 28yo and I'm not sure about the best strategy :
- Invest into a brand new piano (like the Kawai GX-2 that i love)
- Try to get a good deal with used pianos like this RX-3

16k-18k is already the top of my budget. I'd need to borrow for more.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission