2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (accordeur, 13bwl, btcomm, Animisha, C. L., APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, BeeZee4, 19 invisible), 780 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3171398 11/17/21 11:57 AM
G
Gregnfc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
This topic - “does your piano have an aroma” was introduced delightfully to the forum 16 years ago. As holiday season approaches with all its lovely aromas - I thought I’d introduce it again! In 2005 people wrote about everything from mice who had departed this mortal coil (under the key bed) and provided a not so wonderful olfactory experience … to descriptions worthy of a 1945 Bordeaux - complex combinations of felt, and wood, and hammer aromas that thrilled the owners! So what’s your experience? And technically - I wonder if a lingering smell of wood - spruce - in a piano 20 years old is a sign of good maintenance or too much humidity? Old British cars - with original interiors - also tend to maintain their indescribable leather aroma many decades later. Whats everyone’s aroma experience with their pianos?

Gregnfc #3171420 11/17/21 01:19 PM
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
We get a lot of pianos on trade, to repair, or to restore that have, err, some interesting aromas.

If someone's piano lived near their kitchen ( or believe it or not in their kitchen ), and they cooked often with fragrant oils and flavorings like sesame oil and garlic, you can really smell it.

Pianos that come from smokers bring that fragrance with. Sometimes it can be so powerful that it makes people sick.

And, sometimes, we get pianos that were damaged by smoke from a fire. Those can be quite intense.

The natural materials in pianos, unfinished wood, leather, felt etc can really absorb smells and often need to be completely replaced with new parts in order to fully make them smell neutral.

Sadly, I have never gotten a piano that lived in a bakery and brought those smells along with it. That would be nice smile

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Gregnfc #3171433 11/17/21 02:04 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
My piano inside smells a bit like lacquer/varnish, with maybe a slight stale odor or something. It has gotten less intense over the years. Part of the smell might indeed be the previous owner. Maybe the piano sat in dust for many years before it got restored.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Gregnfc #3171547 11/18/21 01:32 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I smoke very heavily. I do so only in my office or the snooker room. |Each room has a piano but they are covered. I hope that will prevent them from starting to pong.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Gregnfc #3171665 11/18/21 01:52 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I owned a Petrof upright for a few years that I bought used. It was made in 1989-1990. The person who was selling it was not the owner, he was someone who sold pianos "as a hobby" so to speak. He would find piano, purchase them, get them tuned up and in good condition and sell them at a pretty reasonable price.

But the point is, I went to see the piano when it was at in his climate-controlled piano shop, not in the home of the owner. I didn't notice any odor when I played it.

But after it was in my living room for a few days (maybe a week, I don't remember) I started to notice that it smelled like the inside of a cigar box. Not cigar smoke smell or cigarette smell, but that vaguely sweet smell that I always guessed was from the leaves?

Anyway, it was pretty subtle and not at all unpleasant. When I took the front panel off, I noticed it even more, but as soon as you replaced the panel, the aroma reduced to the point where you'd wonder if it was your imagination.

I actually wondered if the smell was from some material in the piano, glue or felt or some kind of wood.

Eventually I stopped noticing it, whether because the smell faded or my nose just got bored with the odor. But every now and then, say when the weather changed, I would notice the smell again. I kind of liked it.

I no longer have that piano. My new (to me) piano had only one owner before I got it. He was a signer and did not smoke. He had a dog, but I don't think he allowed the dog in his piano room.

This piano does not, to my knowledge, have a smell. Although I'll go check later (and probably get caught by my spouse with my head stuck in the piano sniffing, adding further fuel to his belief that I'm totally piano crazy! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gregnfc #3171778 11/18/21 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gregnfc
... complex combinations of felt, and wood, and hammer aromas that thrilled the owners!
Old British cars - with original interiors - also tend to maintain their indescribable leather aroma many decades later. Whats everyone’s aroma experience with their pianos?
I have a 33-year-old British car with leather seats, a 100-year-old piano and a 7-year-old piano.
The 'new' piano has never smelt like anything, the British car smells as you'd expect, and what amazes me is that the old piano still has a faint but distinctive aroma after a century. It's a musty old wood / leather smell, not anything the piano has absorbed from its environment. It's not unpleasant, just part of the instrument's character. Because of the history I have with the piano, I like the fact I can still detect its smell when I open the lid.

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
Gregnfc #3171837 11/19/21 05:28 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My project piano, from about 1910, had quite a distinct smell, mostly of hide glue, but also wool/felt/wood. I've encountered this aroma, not unpleasant at all, in many other pianos from that era.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
Gregnfc #3172049 11/19/21 07:19 PM
A
A
It's a darn good thing we have this forum to discuss such things, because the rest of the world would think we were bonkers! crazy

I crawled around sniffing (assisted by my 2 cats, who are generally in charge of sniffing things) and can report:

1. that my piano doesn't really have much scent. Just a slight musty, old-wood, comforting, piano-y smell, and

2. doing this research made me sneeze. grin

G
Gregnfc Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I love the description of you sniffing around! - and also think the rest of the world is quite bonkers with what THEY discuss on line! Pianos / music both rule in this crazy world for any of us lucky enough to play ;-)

Gregnfc #3172257 11/20/21 06:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No interesting smells to record on the old Feurich .....but I shall keep sniffing, 😌

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Three types of melodic characteristics in jazz
by Nahum - 05/18/22 01:13 PM
Onkyo’s bankruptcy and effect on Kawai Novus?
by fauxbourdon - 05/18/22 09:16 AM
Thoughts on sight reading practice
by BlizzardPiano - 05/18/22 04:56 AM
RIP Alexandre Toradze
by BeeZee4 - 05/17/22 10:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,127
Posts3,192,498
Members105,304
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission