2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bruce In Philly, AndyP, BlackKnight, anotherscott, bob@pei, 36251, Alex Hutor, 13bwl, 15 invisible), 557 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Are Speakers in budget electronic pianos designed specifically for accurate and realistic acoustic piano effect or are they just a fairly ordinary speakers with the difference of being positioned downwards and that's the main difference.

So then would I plausibly get a better piano sound accoustic effect for less buck if instead of digital piano the purchased item would be a budget keyboard (with all octaves that piano has) connected to two stereo speakers (existing speakers in the room), question regards comparing in general budget digital pianos/keyboards (without stuff like acoustic chambers built into them digi pianos).

N
Online Content
N
My experience is yes -- you will almost always get better sound from a pair of decent stereo speakers than the ones built into the piano, even using the pianos own sounds, and especially with a good vst

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I would suggest purchasing a DP that has an external output jack.
My thought is internal speakers on less expensive DP's are for personal playing, rather than filling a room.

nada
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1. You will get better sound if you use external studio monitors vs. the built-in speakers. If you want the most accurate sound, good studio monitors are the better choice.

2. Personally, I prefer to use both the built-in speakers with an external amp or PA speakers. For me, that setup gives more of an acoustic piano effect where the sound surrounds you and also fills the room; so you get the up close sound of the piano, with the less direct sound from the larger speakers bouncing off the walls/floor/ceiling.

It doesn’t work in every room, but properly placing and orienting the large speakers properly can be very effective.

Last edited by Groove On; 11/18/21 11:59 PM.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mick Champs
. . .
So then would I plausibly get a better piano sound accoustic effect for less buck if instead of digital piano the purchased item would be a budget keyboard (with all octaves that piano has) connected to two stereo speakers (existing speakers in the room), question regards comparing in general budget digital pianos/keyboards (without stuff like acoustic chambers built into them digi pianos).

You're missing a step:

Between the keys (and their sensors), there's a "sound generator" that takes the key-movement data, and generates electronic waveforms that simulate the waveforms an acoustic piano would generate, if its keys were played in the same way.

The output of that sound generator feeds amplifiers and loudspeakers, built into the digital piano's case.

If you use a budget keyboard, and you keep its sound generator, and add "outboard" amps and loudspeakers:

. . . You'll get louder sound, over a broader frequency range,
. . . . but the sound quality will still be limited by the low-budget sound generator in the budget keyboard.

I did that, with my PX-350. It's an improvement, but not as much as you'd hope.

To replace the sound generator, you could use a computer that takes the key-strike data, and has a piano emulator (a "virtual piano", or VST (I forget what the letters stand for). That piano emulator generates waveforms that you feed to the (new) amps and speakers.

The problem we face, is that good (= expensive) keyboard actions (that feel like an acoustic piano) tend to be packaged with good (= expensive) sound generators and good (= expensive) amps and loudspeakers.

It's like upgrading the engine in a car. And then upgrading the suspension, and the brakes -- and then asking:

. . . "Should I have gotten the more-expensive model to start with?"

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

You're missing a step:

Between the keys (and their sensors), there's a "sound generator" that takes the key-movement data, and generates electronic waveforms that simulate the waveforms an acoustic piano would generate, if its keys were played in the same way.

The output of that sound generator feeds amplifiers and loudspeakers, built into the digital piano's case.

If you use a budget keyboard, and you keep its sound generator, and add "outboard" amps and loudspeakers:

. . . You'll get louder sound, over a broader frequency range,
. . . . but the sound quality will still be limited by the low-budget sound generator in the budget keyboard.

I did that, with my PX-350. It's an improvement, but not as much as you'd hope.

To replace the sound generator, you could use a computer that takes the key-strike data, and has a piano emulator (a "virtual piano", or VST (I forget what the letters stand for). That piano emulator generates waveforms that you feed to the (new) amps and speakers.

The problem we face, is that good (= expensive) keyboard actions (that feel like an acoustic piano) tend to be packaged with good (= expensive) sound generators and good (= expensive) amps and loudspeakers.

It's like upgrading the engine in a car. And then upgrading the suspension, and the brakes -- and then asking:

. . . "Should I have gotten the more-expensive model to start with?"

. Charles
M
OP Offline
M
I am interested in using both the built-in speakers with an external amp - can it work simultaneously if the built in speakers (in digital piano) have their own built in amp and the two external speakers would have their own external amp. I mean what about the delay in sound processing etc?

C
C
You don’t even need a budget digital piano with internal speakers or a sound generator. Even a budget midi keyboard (it produces no sound at all) connected to a VST app on your computer and really good external speakers will give you some amazing acoustic piano sounds - MUCH better than you would get with the vast majority of digital pianos. If it is all about the sound, this is your best bet. The neighbors will totally swear you went all out and bought a grand piano, LOL!

But sound is half of the equation. Depending on your needs, you may feel that the action is totally lacking to get the nuances a top digital or hybrid piano can produce. It is with the second half of the equation (keyboard action) where things get pricey very quickly.

M
OP Offline
M
What a good idea that last one - midi keyboard connected to laptop with free VST aplication , that connected to amplifier and speakers. Do you know any midi keyboard with all octaves that imitates well the feel of real piano when pressing ?

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Even if you pay for your vst software, they are so much better than anything you find in the internal sounds of digital pianos, and (mostly) so cheap in comparison, that it's still a good deal.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What a good idea that last one - midi keyboard connected to laptop with free VST aplication , that connected to amplifier and speakers. Do you know any midi keyboard with all octaves that imitates well the feel of real piano when pressing ?
What's your budget ?

. Charles
M
OP Offline
M
I would be looking for around a $500 midi 88 keyboard or 700 standalone 88 keyboard (the latter in case the laptop would not function properly). It is supposed to be used most times by a 7-year old so it should all work smoothly

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Are Speakers in budget electronic pianos ... or are they just a fairly ordinary speakers...

Budget electronic piano -> budget amplifier -> budget speaker -> sounds like "budget". I mean it sounds, something comes of the speakers but the volume of sound and its quality is also on a budget, so you won't hear much detail because you didn't pay for it.

There is nothing even remotely realistic about the word "budget" itself.

Last edited by Abdol; 11/21/21 10:02 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have owned a budget instrument when I was a student and I knew how bad it sounded.

It's hard to handle... just like when you listen to a realistic-sounding instrument.

It's how you play it and not how your instrument sounds.

I just wanted to sound realistic.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I would be looking for around a $500 midi 88 keyboard or 700 standalone 88 keyboard (the latter in case the laptop would not function properly). It is supposed to be used most times by a 7-year old so it should all work smoothly

Please pardon my delay ---

Given what you want to spend, and that the "target user" is 7 years old:

IMHO you'd to best to buy an "entry-level" 88-weighted-key DP:
. . . . Yamaha P115 (out of production?) / P125 (current) / P105 (older, similar action)
. . . . Casio PX-S1000 /S1100 (previous models PX-150/PX-160) (there's a Sweetwater sale on the PX-770, similar to the PX-150/160
. . . . . . with a minimalist wooden stand)

. . . Kawai ES110 (maybe ES120 has replaced it?)
. . . Roland FP10 / FP30(x)

I don't think there's an obvious "best choice" among those. Any of them will support a kid's musical education through "intermediate level", IMHO.

All of those have MIDI-over-USB, if you want to use them to drive a PC-based virtual piano.

I don't know if they have "Line Out" jacks, but they all have headphone jacks -- usable for driving an outboard amp/loudspeaker system (either "hi-fi" or powered monitors). Plugging something into a headphone jack (on most DP's) mutes the built-in loudspeakers -- no great loss, if the outboard loudspeakers are substantial.

The Casio PX-S1000/S1100 are (I think) the only ones that support "string resonance". The only downside to them is the widely-reported "short pivot", which makes the touch harder as your fingers move toward the fallboard. I think that's something that a player would adapt to. I found it noticeable, when I test-played one, but not upsetting.

Get the basics running first. Then, experiment with virtual pianos, outboard speakers, etc, as money and GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) allows.

Good luck, to you and your son --

. Charles

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,160
Posts3,193,254
Members105,329
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission