2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Good evening,

I own a es920 and some iloud mtms hooked up to it, I also use vsts through it all. I've come to grow to love the kawai samples inside the es920, so much so that i am abandoning the use of vsts all together.

Now here's the thing, do i get a CA79 as the next logical step up, i mean in terms of overall playing enjoyment? I like the GF3 action more than es920 action, and I'm guessing the built in speaker system on the CA79 will be an overall pleasing experience.

You may ask why not just keep the es920 set up if you're liking it so much, well i dont like the action as much as the CA79 GF3, no where near, although it's probably faster it feels quite bad compared to the longer pivot GF3.

So my question basically is, would a CA79 be an improvement sound wise compared to my es920 piano with iloud monitors? Is the sound system on the CA79 very good, i presume the cabinet and speakers would make a more involved experience, or could they just make the sound boxy and not open like i currently have with the iloud mtms?

Its my understanding a cabinet speaker system is always going to be superior when considering piano as opposed to monitors just hooked up to a slab piano, and I'm not referring to vsts etc...

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Try it.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
D
D
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Try it.

Sound advice, if you can’t find a dealer with both I might be tempted to take my mtm’s into a dealer which had the ca79 and try them with that.

However I don’t think most people are paying the £750 over the cost of an MP11SE for better sound, I’d suggest it’s for the form factor. A single elegantish piece of furniture. That may or may not appeal.

For me I like what the MP11SE gives me. I like layering sounds (default piano with a hint of pad 2 is my favourite), and like the fact it has a flattish top for my computer monitor (used mainly for displaying sheet music but sometimes YouTube lessons/tutorials).

D
D
Originally Posted by mwf
Its my understanding a cabinet speaker system is always going to be superior when considering piano as opposed to monitors just hooked up to a slab piano, and I'm not referring to vsts etc...

I’m not sure that’s true. There’s a bunch of constraints when designing a speaker system to put in a piano - cost, size, position, power. With monitors the skies the limit.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf
Good evening,

I own a es920 and some iloud mtms hooked up to it, I also use vsts through it all. I've come to grow to love the kawai samples inside the es920, so much so that i am abandoning the use of vsts all together.

Now here's the thing, do i get a CA79 as the next logical step up, i mean in terms of overall playing enjoyment? I like the GF3 action more than es920 action, and I'm guessing the built in speaker system on the CA79 will be an overall pleasing experience.

You may ask why not just keep the es920 set up if you're liking it so much, well i dont like the action as much as the CA79 GF3, no where near, although it's probably faster it feels quite bad compared to the longer pivot GF3.

So my question basically is, would a CA79 be an improvement sound wise compared to my es920 piano with iloud monitors? Is the sound system on the CA79 very good, i presume the cabinet and speakers would make a more involved experience, or could they just make the sound boxy and not open like i currently have with the iloud mtms?

In my opinion, maybe don't. The gap between digital actions compared to the gap between digital and hybrid actions is noticable but small IMO.

It's a lot to pay to get the CA79 with limited gain. Instead, I would start saving for a hybrid. If you want better sound, I would argue that decent monitors are an investment. IMO, iLouds MTM aren't the solution. Midrange monitors that might be better and would cost around the 'Focal Alpha 50' level of expenditure. If you want really nice sound, the amount to spend goes up to monitors like Neuman KH120A. I would not do that either, as it's nearly £950 for monitors that good. However, they would last at least a decade.

I would instead consider waiting until the new MP series comes out. If you still want an upgrade, sell the ES920 for what ever replaces the MP11SE, so that at limited increase in expenditure, you get the sound quality level of the ES920 but with the grand feel action.

If you do that, the monitors or a good set of cans would complement an MP12 and get you an action upgrade without breaking the bank.

However, if money is less of an obstacle, why not go for the ca99 or straight for a hybrid or silent piano.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
P
One of the factors in getting the optimal sound is the sound of your room. There are rooms that make a good piano sound glorious and other rooms that make a glorious piano sound awful.

If your room sounds good then you might want to go with a sound system that throws the DP sound widely. The CA79 touts ‘360 deg sound’.

But if your room doesn’t sound good, then you might want to go with quality studio monitors that sit close to your ears and somewhat minimize the room effect.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
One of the factors in getting the optimal sound is the sound of your room. There are rooms that make a good piano sound glorious and other rooms that make a glorious piano sound awful.

If your room sounds good then you might want to go with a sound system that throws the DP sound widely. The CA79 touts ‘360 deg sound’.

But if your room doesn’t sound good, then you might want to go with quality studio monitors that sit close to your ears and somewhat minimize the room effect.

Probably, it would be possible to alter the acoustic properties of the room if you have the luxury of a dedicated practice room.

Probably the only way to determine if the room is retarding the sound experience would be to try your instrument in a few different rooms.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
M
mwf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for replies, the room acoustics can be adjusted to with the calibration from the mtms which i haven't done yet. I think I'll wait for a MP11se successor tbh.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission