2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (brdwyguy, 36251, accordeur, BlackKnight, BravoRomeo, bwv872, Boboulus, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 893 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Often the disasters I see are on pianos that never should have had the work done in the first place. But a couple of the pianos I have worked on recently have been a grand which had a fair amount of water damage, and a couple of the hammers had been replaced which were not a good match, and I think one was installed backwards. I was able to find reasonable matches. I also had to replace a bunch of knuckles that had been soaked, but I have a bunch left over from earlier knuckle replacement jobs—sets of 90 that had a couple left over. Then there was another that had new hammers that might have come from a couple of sets, and were in sort of random order, without a particularly straight hammer line. Neither of these pianos warranted rebuilding, or even redoing the work entirely, but I was able to sort them out well enough that it was worthwhile to the owners, neither of whom were high-level pianists. They both were pleased with the results.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I vaguely remember Chris posting this story before, and I thought near the end of the video there was a clip of the father and sons helping break the piano down (for disposal?). But I didn't see that in this one. Perhaps it's a different piano. confused

Are you thinking of this clip? antique piano flop dismantling (YouTube link)

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
I vaguely remember Chris posting this story before, and I thought near the end of the video there was a clip of the father and sons helping break the piano down (for disposal?). But I didn't see that in this one. Perhaps it's a different piano. confused

Are you thinking of this clip? antique piano flop dismantling (YouTube link)

Yes, that's the one!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
I heard a second hand account of a disappointed rebuild customer from a new piano salesman - does that count? wink

The last time I went into one of the old school (expensive) glasses chain stores, I was frustrated by the pushy sales and said something like "at these prices I should consider lazer surgery instead." Well, the obviously commissioned sales lady launched into a soliloquy that would have me believe that society was full of people blinded by botched surgeries and/or who at best "still need glasses anyway." Her advice, IMO, bordered on practicing medicine w/o a license, but the over dramatization and excessive emphasis on the risks was clearly FUD.

My point is that anti-rebuild advice from someone who doesn't offer the service is dubious, IMO. wink

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Well, the thread has run for the better part of a week. A few industry folks have seen some issues, but I thought we'd hear about more catastrophes.

Has anyone else ever experienced this disappointment? Or know someone who has?

How to Upload Pictures

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, the financial considerations on the "heirloom" path are different than someone who simply wants a nice like-new piano, but who might also like it to be vintage or historical, or just older. On the heirloom path, the financial constraints are simply these: can you afford it and is it worth it to you? (I think Peter Gray has expounded on this some recently.) For someone who just wants a nice piano, then already-rebuilt pianos factor into the equation like any other piano (what do you get for your money?).

Some people mix up "heirloom" with "old". I tend to find that these folks also are under the impression (as so many are) that a good piano will last a lifetime (in their mind it is their lifetime), when in fact the pianos lifetime (lifespan) is roughly 1/3-1/2 of that.

That said, I have no problem with restoring someone's emotionally connected family piece. I advise them that it is way beyond the "economic worth" of the piano, but if the emotional satisfaction is worth it to THEM, then it's worth it (as long as money is not an issue). I have personally witnessed the positive effect of this on several occasions). I personally would consider paying a significant sum (if necessary) to get back the Bechstein B that I learned to play piano on and learned to tune (provided of course th at it was still serviceable). Long story as to why I don't have it now.

I feel that prior to any rebuilding/restoration work, the person/firm being considered should be fully investigated with examples being tried (or at least discussed with present owners). I have learned too that if the present owner of the piano is inherently familiar with the pianos "sonic signature" by virtue of having known it for many years, I will do everything I can to PRESERVE that signature (if possible) in the restore process. (I have personally witnessed the effect of ignoring this important factor...fortunately I learn quick so as not to repeat major booboos).

Edit: Since I restore furniture too, this same issue comes up from time to time. I have had owners spend (happily) significantly more than the thing is worth to bring back a piece of furniture that is connected to a beloved family member.

Current .02

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 11/27/21 04:21 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
My 2 cents here,

I have also come by some really beautiful pianos that might sell for what a family put into the restoration - or might not. For instance, a couple of years ago we rebuilt a gorgeous little Chickering that really turned out beautifully. I may have posted this video before because I personally loved this piano. Here it is:

I am not sure the family could sell this piano at a profit, but it certainly performs really beautifully for its size.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
My 2 cents here,

I have also come by some really beautiful pianos that might sell for what a family put into the restoration - or might not. For instance, a couple of years ago we rebuilt a gorgeous little Chickering that really turned out beautifully. I may have posted this video before because I personally loved this piano. Here it is:

I am not sure the family could sell this piano at a profit, but it certainly performs really beautifully for its size.

My 2 cents,

What a delightful piano. What year was it built? I love the legs and the carved lyres. The instrument looks so light, like it is floating on air. How long is it?

To me, the decision to restore a piano would depend on the quality of the instrument when it was originally built. If it was a cheap, low quality piano when it was built, I would not restore it, no matter the perceived sentimental value.

I have found that doing the best thing, the right thing, often runs counter to earning a profit. I learned this firsthand when restoring my one hundred year old house. But, in the end, I got the house looking the way I think it should look, no matter that I will never make a dollar on it.

Last edited by LarryK; 11/28/21 04:27 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
My 2 cents here,

My 2 cents,

That piano was being worked on when we were at Cunninghams, five years ago, as I recall. To the right buyer, the case would probably make the restoration worthwhile.

Semipro Tech
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
A few industry folks have seen some issues, but I thought we'd hear about more catastrophes.
Has anyone else ever experienced this disappointment? Or know someone who has?

I think people are, as with the occasional new piano, or used piano purchase (particularly those that contradict good advice given on the forum grin), sometimes embarrassed to mention when they're disappointed with rebuilding results, or to get into specifics on a public forum. I'll sometimes hear about issues (particularly negative things) via PM instead of on the open forum.

I have seen/played/serviced a couple Steinways recently that were "completely rebuilt" where I don't think they tuned up or held their tuning particularly well for a performance. Whether that is a matter of how the pin block was drilled or fastened, issues with the capo bar or agraffes, or how the bridges were notched, if they were exposed to extreme humidity, or whether it's my tuning technique...is hard to say. All I know was I was disappointed with the outcome, considering the placement and intended usage of the pianos; but these weren't pianos that I own, and I don't know what was spent on the work.

There are a lot of rebuilds out there that look good, but don't perform particularly well. Most of their owners don't seem to care (so no harm, no foul)! Heck, we even see and hear videos like this here, but if the owner is happy, why should I say anything at all?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
What a delightful piano. What year was it built? I love the legs and the carved lyres.

I generally don't like double legs, but I like this one too. Nice case.

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Yes, the financial considerations on the "heirloom" path are different than someone who simply wants a nice like-new piano, but who might also like it to be vintage or historical, or just older. On the heirloom path, the financial constraints are simply these: can you afford it and is it worth it to you? (I think Peter Gray has expounded on this some recently.) For someone who just wants a nice piano, then already-rebuilt pianos factor into the equation like any other piano (what do you get for your money?).

Some people mix up "heirloom" with "old". I tend to find that these folks also are under the impression (as so many are) that a good piano will last a lifetime (in their mind it is their lifetime), when in fact the pianos lifetime (lifespan) is roughly 1/3-1/2 of that.

That said, I have no problem with restoring someone's emotionally connected family piece. I advise them that it is way beyond the "economic worth" of the piano, but if the emotional satisfaction is worth it to THEM, then it's worth it (as long as money is not an issue). I have personally witnessed the positive effect of this on several occasions). I personally would consider paying a significant sum (if necessary) to get back the Bechstein B that I learned to play piano on and learned to tune (provided of course th at it was still serviceable). Long story as to why I don't have it now.

I feel that prior to any rebuilding/restoration work, the person/firm being considered should be fully investigated with examples being tried (or at least discussed with present owners). I have learned too that if the present owner of the piano is inherently familiar with the pianos "sonic signature" by virtue of having known it for many years, I will do everything I can to PRESERVE that signature (if possible) in the restore process. (I have personally witnessed the effect of ignoring this important factor...fortunately I learn quick so as not to repeat major booboos).

Edit: Since I restore furniture too, this same issue comes up from time to time. I have had owners spend (happily) significantly more than the thing is worth to bring back a piece of furniture that is connected to a beloved family member.

Current .02

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Thanks for expounding a bit more, Peter. Sorry your name got spellchecked above!

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I think people are, as with the occasional new piano, or used piano purchase (particularly those that contradict good advice given on the forum grin), sometimes embarrassed to mention when they're disappointed with rebuilding results, or to get into specifics on a public forum.

You may be right about that.

How to Upload Pictures

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As I often tell piano buyers. If you want an investment, talk to your broker, not your piano dealer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,517
Members105,374
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission