2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Esstepp Offline OP
OP Offline
E
First, thanks to all of the contributors. I recently discovered this site and have learned a lot. I am in the market for a hybrid piano to upgrade an old Roland. My research points me to either the Yamaha N1X or the Kawai NV10s. Unfortunately, only the N1X is available to try in my area. One store does have a NV5S. Do I just go for the N1X if I like it? Is there any way to infer my preference (or lack thereof) for the NV10S based on the NV5s? Any other suggestions? It seems this product availability issue won't be solved for months, as one store told me they are only getting shipments of pre-sold instruments. I'm not in a huge rush, but the sooner I make the purchase, the sooner I can enjoy it and stop wasting time on YouTube comparisons. I'm in a position to afford either, but it's a big investment so I'd like to make the most informed decision I can. I'm sure I'd end up thrilled with either since it's such a big jump in quality, so maybe I'm overthinking things. I'm an intermediate player, but I'm serious about practicing and want to enjoy the best instrument that fits my lifestyle. I'm not considering acoustic pianos because I need to be able to practice quietly, and I also like the low maintenance requirements of hybrids. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
When it comes to hybrids, the action is really paramount. But you have to like the sound too. Sounds like you can test the N1X for both. For the NV-10s, I believe the sound engine is exactly the same as in the NV-5S or in the latest CA-79 and CA-99. So you might want to sit down at one of those pianos to see if you have a clear preference in the sound engine between Yamaha and Kawai. Bring a good set of headphones (ideally what you will be using when playing at home) as both pianos have special headphone outputs that are different from what you'll hear out of the speakers.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
Esstepp Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you, Gombessa. It makes sense that the action is paramount. I may just need to be patient since that seems impossible to compare at the moment. I'm leaning toward the NV-10S based on your posts and those of other members, but it feels a bit flippant to buy something of this magnitude sight unseen. I've come this far with my trusty Roland FP-7F. I'm sure it can get me through another year if needed. Thanks again!

M
M
Originally Posted by Esstepp
I may just need to be patient since that seems impossible to compare at the moment.

Deliveries might be delayed, but that shouldn't necessarily affect availability in store showrooms. If you want to test the action, you can also do that with NV10, AFAIK the only difference to NV10S is new software/sound. Personally, I'd probably go with NV10(S) because Yamaha AvantGrand series put one of the smallest grand actions in their models, which is really nuts considering those things weigh 3 digit kilograms anyways.

Last edited by Marc345; 12/01/21 08:57 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
E
Esstepp Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you, Marc. Surprisingly, I can't even seem to find an NV10 to try. I live in Chicago - a decent sized market, I would think. I've called the area Kawai dealers, but maybe I should try other stores for a used model to try. I might just go for it eventually if this persists. I appreciate your insights.

M
M
I live in Chicago - a decent sized market, I would think.

I live in Berlin. I only know one (digital piano) dealer here with a decent showroom. But even he seems to simply have no space left for the biggest models like N3X and NV10. Maybe try some regular acoustic grand store? They are often also interested in selling silent alternatives, which includes the NV10(S).

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
E
Esstepp Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you all for the advice here and throughout this forum. I am pleased to report I just put down a deposit for the NV10S. I have not tried it, which I realize is a risk. There is simply nothing in the area, and I am very impatient to move on from my current digital piano. I was able to test an NV5 (not S), and thought it was quite satisfactory. The grand action is a fantastic bonus and worth the premium to me. I briefly considered an acoustic and would love one someday, but my humidity is extreme, volatile, and so far refuses to be managed. If I get that sorted in the future, perhaps I will add to the family. A huge thank you to all of the NV10S posters who shared reviews, recordings, etc. My demands are modest by comparison and I'm sure I will be thrilled by this instrument. It is such a relief to set aside worries about tuning stability and maintenance. Now the wait begins. I'm told it will arrive between March and June, beyond which I am able to cancel. Again, thank you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Esstepp,

Thank you for the update, and thank you for deciding to order the NV10S.

Hopefully you do not have to wait too long to recieve your piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you all for the advice here and throughout this forum. I am pleased to report I just put down a deposit for the NV10S. I have not tried it, which I realize is a risk. There is simply nothing in the area, and I am very impatient to move on from my current digital piano. I was able to test an NV5 (not S), and thought it was quite satisfactory. The grand action is a fantastic bonus and worth the premium to me. I briefly considered an acoustic and would love one someday, but my humidity is extreme, volatile, and so far refuses to be managed. If I get that sorted in the future, perhaps I will add to the family. A huge thank you to all of the NV10S posters who shared reviews, recordings, etc. My demands are modest by comparison and I'm sure I will be thrilled by this instrument. It is such a relief to set aside worries about tuning stability and maintenance. Now the wait begins. I'm told it will arrive between March and June, beyond which I am able to cancel. Again, thank you!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it. Buying sight-unseen is definitely a risk (I've done it before twice and had good results, but not for an expensive hybrid), but you can take heart knowing that the NV10S arguably has the best action of any DP. I've had my NV-10 for nearly 4 years now and I still absolutely love it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I briefly considered an acoustic and would love one someday, but my humidity is extreme, volatile, and so far refuses to be managed.

Congrats with a fantastic hybrid piano! In contrast to a full acoustic your piano your piano will not go out of tune when humidity changes, which is a big plus. Note though that the action is fully 'acoustic' and that acoustic actions in general, especially new ones, can get 'sluggish' when humidity is too high. We have seen such reports here on PW more then once, and especially the NV5 but also its acoustic equivalent the K300 seems sensitive to this. If that is the case this can be managed by a dehumidifier to prevent the high part humidity range, which is a good idea for your own health too. Fluctuations in the normal and low-very low range shouldn't matter for a hybrid.

E
Esstepp Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Pianogabe, I appreciate the information. I had not seen this. I will keep it in mind and can get a dehumidifier if needed. Thanks all!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission