2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I am looking for suggestions here since I hope to buy a rebuilt piano abroad and move it to Asia.

N
N
Where are you located now?

T
OP Offline
T
Right now in Canada, but will soon move to East Asia. Rebuilt pianos are expensive in Asia, so I am hoping to buy one from a good rebuilder anywhere in the world and ship it to Asia.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
If you will be somewhere that is considered tropical, you may want the piano rebuilt to be suited to that climate.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Are you aware of the rules regarding transporting pianos internationally with ivory keys? Many older pianos have them.

Air freight is expensive, and I can only imagine how complicated or delayed shipping things via container will be, for the foreseeable future. Unless you’re headed somewhere with no piano dealers, it sounds like a headache in the making with lots of opportunities for damage to occur…and responsibility passed around between the various entities that would have possession of your piano.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tommyhaha
Right now in Canada, but will soon move to East Asia. Rebuilt pianos are expensive in Asia, so I am hoping to buy one from a good rebuilder anywhere in the world and ship it to Asia.

Do I understand from your post that you are willing and able to travel "anywhere in the world" to find the rebuilt piano before you arrange to have it shipped? How are you going to determine that the piano is one you are going to like if you don't try it out? That would suggest travels to multiple destinations.

Why must it be a rebuilt piano?

This plan doesn't sound like a good one, to me, unless you have lots of time and lots of money in the search even before you have the piano shipped. Finding a reliable shipper in the country where the rebuilt piano is finally found may not be the least of your worries!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
At riskof being shot down in flames I would mention that there are large numbers of rebuilds done in Poland. The prices represent a very good bang for your buck and I have heard that the work is done to a very high standard.

I wish I could get back to Eastern Asia.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
At riskof being shot down in flames I would mention that there are large numbers of rebuilds done in Poland. The prices represent a very good bang for your buck and I have heard that the work is done to a very high standard.

I think there is a certain snobbery about this especially from rebuilders/tuner-techs in the UK. I have spoken to several dealers here in the past when I was looking for my grand and they usually say something along the lines of "casework great, replacing hammers/felts fine but regulation dodgy". The dealers/techs I have spoken to mention SAP most often. There's the hassle of having to shipping and added complication of trying the piano before you commit to the rebuild. Here's a gorgeous example though that caught my eye

https://saprenovation.com/our-work/for-sale/gaveau-sap-6338/

N
N
Sending a PM

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Aritempor

I think there is a certain snobbery about this especially from rebuilders/tuner-techs in the UK. I have spoken to several dealers here in the past when I was looking for my grand and they usually say something along the lines of "casework great, replacing hammers/felts fine but regulation dodgy". The dealers/techs I have spoken to mention SAP most often. There's the hassle of having to shipping and added complication of trying the piano before you commit to the rebuild. Here's a gorgeous example though that caught my eye

Actually there *was* a certain snobbery regarding SAP renovation in Poland and other Polish rebuilders amongst the technicians and rebuilders in the UK, but that has changed in the past five years. It seems that the trade is now looking more seriously at Poland because the quality of the work is much higher than it has ever been.

The rebuilders I know about who are highly regarded:

SAP Renovation Poland, Piano Restorations Ltd UK, Cunningham Piano Philadelphia USA, PianoCraft Maryland USA, Piano Perfect LLC Columbus Georgia USA, Steinway and Sons London UK. I'd add Blüthner UK to the list but since they sold their restoration department it became Piano Restoration Ltd, although you can still request a factory restoration from Leipzig through their showroom for a very large fee.

YAMAHA Artist
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Aritempor

Actually there *was* a certain snobbery regarding SAP renovation in Poland and other Polish rebuilders amongst the technicians and rebuilders in the UK, but that has changed in the past five years. It seems that the trade is now looking more seriously at Poland because the quality of the work is much higher than it has ever been.

I don't know the "was" is really true yet. I discussed this with a couple of dealers/rebuilders around the south west (oxford/herts) in the last 6 months (because I've been bitten by the piano bug and two grands are always better than one!) and whilst they were definitely receptive to sending the piano away to SAP, they pretty much said that they'd "had to redo the regulation" for pianos they had received back as it wasn't good enough/up to their standards. How much of that is true is hard to tell. However, given my experience and what I hear, I wouldn't be averse to sending a grand to SAP for rebuilding. I would simply reserve a portion of any budget for engaging a top concert technician to go over the regulation again. I know it sounds crazy but there's regulation and then there's regulation carried out by a concert tech.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission