2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (Ek81, Alex C, Greta99, Damien PG, HZPiano, Charles Cohen, CraiginNZ, 4 invisible), 537 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3176985 12/12/21 09:43 AM
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm a pianist, not a technician. I just had my technician here for a tuning, and less than a week later I noticed this problem. I'm not blaming him for it, but he wants to charge me for a usual full tuning charge just to take a look at it. I doubt this is an hour and a half long piece of work. He did mention that he might have to open up the pedal box, though, which does sound like some work. Anyway, I want to try and see what I can possibly do myself before bringing him back.

The pedal WILL dampen if I release it quickly. But anything less than that leaves some or all notes ringing. Sometimes just the notes I was just playing, other times what sounds like overtones from all the keys. If I release the pedal slowly it happens in one sort of way. If I just press the pedal ever so slightly down and release, it happens in another way. The only way now that any ringing WON'T happen is if I press the pedal down all the way and release it very quickly (basically lifting my foot off the pedal completely).

This might be too big a question, but if there are any simple things I can do to try and get it to release more smoothly and completely, I would appreciate it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Grand or vertical?

toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
oops sorry. Grand. Estonia 190.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
This might be something you can fix, but it depends on what the actual problem is. If some of the dampers have twisted, so that they are not lined up with the strings, you will probably need the technician, unless you can twist them back yourself. Sometimes some of the wedge felt is not lined up with the strings and that holds them up, or sometimes there is remnant of cutting the wedge that was not removed from the felt.

But if the damper pedal is not releasing properly on all of the notes, there are two possible reasons for it: There is not enough lost motion in the damper pedal itself, in which case there is an adjustment at the top of the pedal rod to shorten its effective length, or that the pitman, the short rod that goes between lever under the piano and the damper tray above it, is not positioned properly, and you might be able to move this back into place.

Semipro Tech
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for this.

I guess I should have tried to be clearer. Although the lack of dampening (undampening?) seems to be occurring in different ways, it is definitely NOT on specific keys all the time. So I'm fairly sure this is not a case of twisted damper felt. And I'm well aware of that problem because it has happened before!

This is different from that. And again, when I release the pedal quickly it dampens effectively. That tells me the dampers are aligned properly (enough).

So assuming this later thing you mention, how do I get to that rod? Should I remove the keys? I know how to do this and have removed/reinstalled successfully a couple times before.

B
BDB Offline
B
The pedal rod is from the back of the pedal up to the pedal trap lever, and should be easily accessible. I am not sure whether the back of the pedal is open on an Estonia or not, but the adjustment is at the top, so that should not be a problem. Check to see whether the rod moves freely. It could be tight if there is an upper guide for it, in which case, a little lubrication there might help, although this is unlikely. If the back of the pedal is open, check to see if there is anything under it, and that the rod is properly seated in the socket. The dampers should not lift immediately upon pressing the pedal. If they do, then the rod should be adjusted so there is a little lost motion. How much is a matter of preference.

The pitman should be on top of the pedal trap lever, and it will go through a hole the keybed. Check whether it moves freely, and in its proper position. It should not move from side to side, nor front to back. If there is any problem, you may be able to get it seated properly, or you may require a visit. It depends on your mechanical ability.

Semipro Tech
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ahhhhhhh, I was focusing in the wrong direction. I see it. It is accessible top and bottom. It appears I have to first loosen a nut on the bottom of larger piece that it locks in place. I *think* I can get in there. Hopefully it's not too tight but I do have some good penetrating stuff, Kroil, that should loosen it if need be. I assume I need to LOWER that larger piece so that allows the dampeners to push up a tad bit higher.

I'll get to this tomorrow and if I have more questions (or it doesn't work) I'll post more. Otherwise thank you very much for this.

What I don't get is why this happened all of a sudden. I assume a change in humidity like everything else with a piano!!! (I have a damp chaser.)

toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Slightly new development, or new observation. I was just noticing one particular note ringing (louder than others that were also ringing). The A below middle C if that matters. So I stood up and while striking the note, I kept pressing down on the damper (no pedaling at this point) and I couldn't get the ringing to stop! I did this repeated: struck note, it rang, I pressed on its damper, it kept ringing. ONLY when I finally flicked the pedal, just once, did the ringing stop. What does this tell you?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Maybe an octave or two above was ringing? Did you press their dampers?

toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
No I didn't press the octaves, and of course now when I try and repeat that sort of ringing I can't!

B
BDB Offline
B
Tones that continue to sound could be from subharmonic lower notes not damping, as well. That is more likely.

Semipro Tech
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
ok BDB thank you again. I haven't yet gotten the nerve to make that adjustment you recommended trying. I'm a little nervous about making the problem worse. Plus the last time I got under the piano, I had trouble getting back up!. But I will get to it soon and post results.

B
BDB Offline
B
It gets harder for me to get up from under pianos all the time!

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,762
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission