2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
There's a wonderful article in our local newspaper today about Mason & Hamlin - about a Mason & Hamlin grand piano being featured in the movie "The Power of the Dog."

https://www.eagletribune.com/news/h...f5a825a-590e-11ec-80df-5f6f5303a617.html

The newspaper reports M&H "has continued to turn a profit…and is enjoying a nice rebound in 2021."

This is Great News!

Mason & Hamlins are terrific pianos.

Long live Mason & Hamlin!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The director, Jane Campion, also directed the movie The Piano, which IMO was a fantastic movie that I never want to watch again! whome (I can't rewatch the thumb thing, if you've seen the movie, you know)

I wonder if there's a pianistic soundtrack in The Power of the Dog. The soundtrack for the Piano (by contemporary composer Michael Nyman) is often credited with inspiring a lot of people to take up the piano so they could play the main theme (the Heart Asks Pleasure First).

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
ShiroKuro:

The soundtrack that accompanied the movie "Piano" inspired, as you say, a lot of people to take up the piano. That's great!

A while back here on PW we were discussing ways that might help bring greater popularity to playing piano which would also of course help piano sales. One of my suggestions was for a tv series that is set around a piano teacher. Something along the lines of "Cheers" only set around a piano teacher theme.

Wouldn't it be great if someone at Mason & Hamlin or Steinway or Charles Walter or some other piano maker had contacts with tv/movie industry moguls and they teamed up and made this or similar idea come to fruition?!

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Definitely!!

I think rather than having it be about a piano teacher, it should be about a middle aged single person who takes up the piano, taking lessons and attending the teacher's recitals... and finds love in the process!

It's a Hallmark movie, it can have a happy ending with the hero or heroine playing the piano (like a pro, they go from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes) at his/her own wedding.

If it's Netflix, the hero/heroine takes up the piano, only to learn that their piano is actually a portal into alternate universes. As the main character's piano skills improve, the destination universes become more exciting and appealing...

If it's a network TV station, the main character is a cop in a city where the locals don't trust the police officers because of past problems. The main character holds a recital to encourage more positive relations with the townspeople, but will anyone attend??

If it's anime... oh nevermind, there are already animes with piano either as the soundtrack or as a key element, they don't need my ideas!

whome

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 12/19/21 12:57 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
ShiroKuro:

I say keep your ideas coming.

They sound great!

:-)

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Definitely!!

I think rather than having it be about a piano teacher, it should be about a middle aged single person who takes up the piano, taking lessons and attending the teacher's recitals... and finds love in the process!

It's a Hallmark movie, it can have a happy ending with the hero or heroine playing the piano (like a pro, they go from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes) at his/her own wedding.

If it's Netflix, the hero/heroine takes up the piano, only to learn that their piano is actually a portal into alternate universes. As the main character's piano skills improve, the destination universes become more exciting and appealing...

If it's a network TV station, the main character is a cop in a city where the locals don't trust the police officers because of past problems. The main character holds a recital to encourage more positive relations with the townspeople, but will anyone attend??

If it's anime... oh nevermind, there are already animes with piano either as the soundtrack or as a key element, they don't need my ideas!

whome

Come to think of it the movie “Groundhog’s Day” has Bill Murray learning to play piano by hiring the piano teacher to teach him piano over and over again. By the end of movie he can play professionally.
It’s quite the plug for “practice makes perfect” and it has a happy ending.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You know, I've never seen Groundhog's Day (nor Home Alone, fwiw).

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeanne W
ShiroKuro:

I say keep your ideas coming.

They sound great!

Thanks!

I mean, I would love to see some TV shows/movies like this!! grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
X
Xam Offline
X
Way cool, thx for posting I’m playing the heck out of my Mason 1915 A, today, yesterday.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Definitely!!

whome

thumb

If it's on YouTube, then there was a piano in King Tut's tomb, a piano sank the Titanic, and pianos cause cancer!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Definitely!!

Come to think of it the movie “Groundhog’s Day” has Bill Murray learning to play piano by hiring the piano teacher to teach him piano over and over again. By the end of movie he can play professionally.
It’s quite the plug for “practice makes perfect” and it has a happy ending.

You beat me to it! thumb

I was reminded of exactly the same scene!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If the company only sold 100 pianos this year or last year that is not a positive fiscal sign IMO, especially if that includes pianos in their less expensive lines. To the best of my knowledge sales of pianos in 2020 increased despite some industry professionals predicting they would decrease. One reason some pianos are in short supply is some makers decreased production because they thought the pandemic would decrease demand.

There are some mistakes in the article. For example, about the length of M&H pianos. Also, when one M&H person says the pianos were designed to be loud so they could fill a concert hall that doesn't make sense to me since very few pianos are used in concert halls.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/19/21 03:11 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
What Movie Inspired You to Play the Piano:

for me - The Eddy Duchin Story

I wanted to play this song/version so bad!

brdwyguy

PS the 1st Classical Piece I learned was yes, you got it. . . Chopin's E-Flat Nocturne!

Last edited by brdwyguy; 12/19/21 03:08 PM.

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I think that some of you need to rethink this idea of a TV series based around a hero, a middle-aged person, or some other individual going from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes.

This may have appeal to those of us who can't stay away from our pianos and from Piano World, but I think that the general public who watches commercial TV would not find much interest in such a series. Moreover, I think that any producer would be well aware that such a series would not be commercially viable. It just wouldn't attract sponsors to support an esoteric commercial enterprise whose main focus is someone learning to play or playing the piano for whatever reasons or goals.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Bruce, you must be fun at parties....

grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content

grin

grin
A gratuitous insult.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Oh well you see a mysterious photo is found hidden in the piano.There is also a name carved into the underneath part of the cabinet.So now you can finish the story!
Actually that came from a video series I found at the library, starring Meryl Steep.It was quite good but I cannot remember what it was called.The piano was either a Steinway or a Bechstein.So, sorry! You would be steeling from a movie!
😃

X
Xam Offline
X
This is really cool.. thx for posting!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Poor Rose, that's how I feel at recitals ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If the company only sold 100 pianos this year or last year that is not a positive fiscal sign IMO, especially if that includes pianos in their less expensive lines. To the best of my knowledge sales of pianos in 2020 increased despite some industry professionals predicting they would decrease. One reason some pianos are in short supply is some makers decreased production because they thought the pandemic would decrease demand.

There are some mistakes in the article. For example, about the length of M&H pianos. Also, when one M&H person says the pianos were designed to be loud so they could fill a concert hall that doesn't make sense to me since very few pianos are used in concert halls.

From the article:

The novel identifies the piano as a Mason & Hamlin.

That's great - and they would have been foolish to use another brand in the film itself.

The Mason & Hamlin factory, located on Duncan Street in a tall, red-brick mill building where shoes were once made, employs about 35 people, half the number they did in 2017.

Really? Down to 35 now?

The company sells about 100 pianos a year. Its six models range from about 4 feet long to 9 feet 4 inches, the length of a horse.

I guess the writer felt he had to put this in terms someone living in the wild west would understand (i.e., length of a horse). About 4 feet long is actually 4'11" for one of the Chinese built baby grands. I always thought the company produced around 200 pianos a year - before adding the Chinese built lower cost line.

Prices start at about $11,000 for the smallest upright (strings and soundboard vertical) to more than $150,000 for the largest grand (strings and sound board horizontal).

This one threw me...$11K? Then I realized the author was referring to the new Chinese built M&H Artist and Classic Series instruments - the least expensive of which is $8,294. Of course, there is a BIG jump in price between those pianos and the ones built in Haverhill.

The Mason & Hamlin has a distinctive, big, powerful American sound, rich in bass.

I question whether that would really apply to the new Artist and Classic Series pianos, but would be happy to be proven wrong. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission