2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (BMKE, ambrozy, Animisha, accordeur, anotherscott, bob@pei, 17 invisible), 686 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Definitely!!

I think rather than having it be about a piano teacher, it should be about a middle aged single person who takes up the piano, taking lessons and attending the teacher's recitals... and finds love in the process!

It's a Hallmark movie, it can have a happy ending with the hero or heroine playing the piano (like a pro, they go from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes) at his/her own wedding.

If it's Netflix, the hero/heroine takes up the piano, only to learn that their piano is actually a portal into alternate universes. As the main character's piano skills improve, the destination universes become more exciting and appealing...

If it's a network TV station, the main character is a cop in a city where the locals don't trust the police officers because of past problems. The main character holds a recital to encourage more positive relations with the townspeople, but will anyone attend??

If it's anime... oh nevermind, there are already animes with piano either as the soundtrack or as a key element, they don't need my ideas!

whome

thumb

If it's on YouTube, then there was a piano in King Tut's tomb, a piano sank the Titanic, and pianos cause cancer!
There was a real life situation where a man received a head injury and was suddenly able to play advanced Beethoven sonatas.It seemed he was hearing the music in his mind, and so could work out complicated chords and the structures of the music at the keyboard.I cannot imagine that he would have the technique to play like a pro.Perhaps having that kind of "hearing" would enable correct movements of the hand and arms..I do not know.He also started "composing" in a "Beethoven like style as well.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

M
M
The piano in the movie is a screw stringer. The movers' technique is rather unorthodox . . .

1932 Mason & Hamlin A9
1877 Blüthner 185 cm Patent Aliquot grand
1883 Henry F. Miller pedal upright
Edward L. Kottick double-fretted clavichord
Lyndon Taylor double-fretted clavichord

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Bruce, you must be fun at parties....

grin

Yep! A real blast! smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
This may be the earliest moving picture featuring a Mason & Hamlin:

I just thought people might like a comparison. I was reminded because a friend of mine was accompanying a piece by Zimbalist at a concert last week.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would say Baldwin pianos were known world wide with Steinway.There must be a movie featuring them apart from the (sigh) "bling one" about Liberace.There were a huge number of Baldwin artists including composers.Perhaps there are many and we have not noticed.😉
I have nothing against Liberace but his piano is always covered was with mirrors and gemstones.He himself was a most flamboyant creature with all his rings and candelabra.
I remember my aunt being fascinated by him and his TV shows.He was an incredible pianist but perhaps just did not want practice to be a serious concert pianist but instead become a showman, earn lots of money have fun charming ladies of certain age.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Bruce D's comments:

"I think that some of you need to rethink this idea of a TV series based around a hero, a middle-aged person, or some other individual going from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes.

This may have appeal to those of us who can't stay away from our pianos and from Piano World, but I think that the general public who watches commercial TV would not find much interest in such a series. Moreover, I think that any producer would be well aware that such a series would not be commercially viable. It just wouldn't attract sponsors to support an esoteric commercial enterprise whose main focus is someone learning to play or playing the piano for whatever reasons or goals."

Hi, Bruce.

It's always good to hear what people think, pro and con. I agree the idea of someone going from beginner to concert pianist in 12 episodes is a bit out there but ShiroKuro's idea IMO is an interesting one, and could be a hit depending on how it is handled. There are also variations on that theme.

A more mundane approach, what I'm thinking, is a tv series that revolves around one piano teacher and his/her students.

The piano plays a supporting, not a main, role.

The main focus of each episode is what is happening in each student's life (young and old) and the teacher's; it would be about their relationships.

Analogies could be drawn between each student's journey along his/her path in learning to play/master the piano and how it relates to his/her's everyday life. Scenes would alternate between the student and piano teacher at a piano lesson while sitting at a piano, to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the music studio.

There are so many tv programs that are just the same old story rehashed over again and again. I think something along these lines would be fresh and new and would appeal to all age groups.

Thinking some more about this, taking ShiroKuro's idea further, one of the teacher's students could be a prodigy pianist who could be included in the mix of more typical students. Might it be interesting to explore the social dynamics?

Another idea to add interest would be to set the time frame of the program in the early 1800 or 1900's; but it'd probably be better to set it in the present time so all of the things we are dealing with today could be explored.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=Jeanne W][i] Scenes would alternate between the student and piano teacher at a piano lesson while sitting at a piano, to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the music studio.

Who would shoot a piano teacher though?

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
Originally Posted by Jeanne W
[i] Scenes would alternate between the student and piano teacher at a piano lesson while sitting at a piano, to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the music studio.

grin

I think she means "shoot" the video! thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[i] Scenes would alternate between the student and piano teacher at a piano lesson while sitting at a piano, to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the music studio.

grin

Oh thank heavens for a minute I did not know what to think.Piano student shoots teacher because she phoned his parents to complain about his lack of practice.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

grin

Oh thank heavens for a minute I did not know what to think.Piano student shoots teacher because she phoned his parents to complain about his lack of practice.

Sounds like episode 1 ! whome ha

How to Upload Pictures

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
"...to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the studio."

I meant with a camera!

First I laughed: LOL

But then, a minute of so later, upon reflection, I began thinking the mistaken inference is not really funny.

But no offence taken.

It's funny how minds work.

And how things we say can be taken to mean something absolutely not was meant.

Guilty As Charged,

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

I meant with a camera!

But then, a minute of so later, upon reflection, I began thinking the mistaken inference is not really funny.

But no offence taken.

Guilty As Charged,

Jeanne W

It's funny sometimes how ambiguous language can be!!

It's good that we can all laugh at ourselves. thumb

How to Upload Pictures

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Scenes would alternate between the student and piano teacher at a piano lesson while sitting at a piano, to scenes of the students and piano teacher shot outside the music studio.

grin

Well, actually:

[i]Shoot the Piano Player; (French: Tirez sur le pianiste; UK title: Shoot the Pianist) is a 1960 French New Wave crime drama film directed by François Truffaut that stars Charles Aznavour as the titular pianist with Marie Dubois, Nicole Berger, and Michèle Mercier as the three women in his life. It is based on the novel Down There by David Goodis.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Bruce, I bet you are a lot of fun at parties! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I meant with a camera!

But no offence taken.

Guilty As Charged,

Jeanne W
Jeanne you must forgive me my "psyche is very alive" - you do not need me to write your happy serene video series.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I meant with a camera!

But no offence taken.

Guilty As Charged,

Jeanne W
Jeanne you must forgive me my "psyche is very alive" - you do not need me to write your happy serene video series.
It was an odd misunderstanding but I did wonder why you were so bland when you said the "teacher was shot" I have to confess that I have not been reading carefully either.(probably the real reason)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Who would shoot a piano teacher though?[/quote]

grin

I think she means "shoot" the video! thumb[/quote Retsacnal]
"Oh thank heavens for a minute I did not know what to
think.Piano student shoots teacher because she phoned his parents to complain about his lack of practice".[/quote tre corda]

Sounds like episode 1 ! whome ha[/quote Retsacnal]
😃

D
D
check out the Bechstein in Endeavour - Series 1 Episode 2 - towards the end. Masterpiece Theatre PBS. Too bad the actor is not really a pianist . . .

Kawai RX3
Yamaha CLP 785
Roland FP 30

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I suffered through a remake of the Poseidon Adventure tonight.

A highlight was a Baldwin grand that was hanging from the floor when the ship inverted. There was a kid trapped "under" it.

Usually names are obscured. I wonder if Baldwin paid for this product placement.

I snapped a picture of the screen:

[Linked Image]

How to Upload Pictures

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow that's awesome, scary(and perhaps tragic) for everyone.I thought the Poseiden was a submarine that got lost to the ocean or were they saved?
Strangely enough I watched The Hindenberg disaster.There was a an Art Deco looking small grand on the airship.Someone here wrote it was a Bluthner.(quite ugly looking,finished in what looked like yellow metal, perhaps alliminuim) or was it just the legs that were chrome? Not a good movie by the way except for the "concert"that was given.(if you are a die hard piano nerd)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
How To Become Best Sight Reader Ever?!
by joe3701 - 05/22/22 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,191
Posts3,193,851
Members105,344
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission