2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Sorry - long time lurker here and i've pretty much been leeching off the forums and gotten most of my answers there.

1. I'm want to buy an MP11SE but cannot find one in stock (USA). It appears that it will be made available in Sprint 2022 (at least according to the sites I've been to).
2. Tried looking for a VPC1 and still cannot find one that will ship it (if in stock).
3. I have an option to purchase to an RD-2000 from a friend and its at a great price (almost half of what he paid for).
4. Purchase a Nord Grand (I get it... , people hate the over priced brand here but its still an option).
5. Anticipation of VPC2/MP12 (pipe dream maybe?)

Me - classically trained pianist who still cannot sight read to save my life. Don't currently have a slab. I'm looking for a keyboard that will act as my main controller and I will never be moving for gigs so portability is not an issue. Would like something that feels like a piano when playing (GF series seems like the way to go).

Would you wait or just purchase the RD2000 now ?
Money is not and issue here but at the same time, I don't like accumulating stuff as i find it a pain to resell electronics

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Try the RD2000, it has a good action, good price, and helps your friend. I would not make any assumptions on when the other slabs will be back in stock or revised. It shouldn't be too hard to resell depending on price. . .

I didn't think the Roland had the very best action or sounds. And had a lot of buttons.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
If you haven't tried the RD-2000, do that first.

If you find it acceptable, buy it.

Don't be put off by the knobs, sliders, and buttons. You don't have to use them, if you don't need them. Volume, and on/off, and selecting the main piano sound -- those are necessary. All else, you'll learn as you need them.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
J
another voice for getting the rd2000 if you like it.

in 9 months, you could have 9 months of enjoyment of a quality DP under your belt, or be writing here weighing up the latest release against a potential new model ...

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Don't be put off by the knobs, sliders, and buttons. You don't have to use them, if you don't need them. Volume, and on/off, and selecting the main piano sound -- those are necessary. All else, you'll learn as you need them.

The OP mentioned "controller" so the first thing that came to my mind was a VST, in which case the knobs, sliders and buttons can be of use. smile

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
D
I’ve tried two RD2000 models (one used, one a floor model) and both felt way too light for me, closer to a synth action than a piano. Yes, you need to try one yourself! (To be fair, I had also come from a Yamaha action, which is generally considered on the heavier side. I’m currently playing a Korg D1 (with computer VSTs) and love it.)

Numa X Piano GT, Korg D1, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Garritan CFX, PianoTeq 8, BIAB, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 12, Symphobia 1 and 3, Spitfire BBCSO Core
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
In case you do not like the RD2000, you can look for the used market.
I sold a NU1 recently and found it more difficult that I initially thought. A quick cg search a few 100s miles from where I live turned out https://cosprings.craigslist.org/msg/d/fountain-kawaii-vpc1-midi-piano/7413845167.html

In any case, definitely do not stay without an instrument, even if it's a compromise, unless it's really a bad compromise.

Best of luck in your musical journey!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Can’t speak for the action of the rd2000 but can speak for the behavior and sound of Roland pianos in general from the fp10 I had. With headphones at least.

They feel alive and are a delight to play

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mta88
Can’t speak for the action of the rd2000 but can speak for the behavior and sound of Roland pianos in general from the fp10 I had. With headphones at least.

Wow - thanks everyone for the comments here and its given me a ton of thought about to approach this.
Thanks to @Mta88, I combed the social sites and found an MP11 for sale and will be picking it up tonight.
Its appears to be dented on the outside (looks a little banged up from the pics) but the owner says that its cosmetic but the price seems pretty reasonable. He owns a grand piano and said he bought it but has not used it much.

For those MP11 owners here, should I worry about it being this old and that there could be servicing issues with the keys that need to be addressed?
Here are some pics - There is a large dent on the top of the unit (in fact there are two).

[img]https://imgur.com/a/FE4viFI[/img]

Last edited by Gong & Serunai; 12/21/21 02:55 PM.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gong & Serunai
Originally Posted by Mta88

Wow - thanks everyone for the comments here and its given me a ton of thought about to approach this.
Thanks to @Mta88, I combed the social sites and found an MP11 for sale and will be picking it up tonight.
Its appears to be dented on the outside (looks a little banged up from the pics) but the owner says that its cosmetic but the price seems pretty reasonable. He owns a grand piano and said he bought it but has not used it much.

For those MP11 owners here, should I worry about it being this old and that there could be servicing issues with the keys that need to be addressed?
Here are some pics - There is a large dent on the top of the unit (in fact there are two).

[img]https://imgur.com/a/FE4viFI[/img]

Seems like a gigging keyboard and those are all transportation damages. I personally would never buy a keyboard in this condition.

MP series hold their value really well. I'd only have one suggestion for you if you can afford a new MP11SE, go for the new keyboard. I'd purchase something cheaper (e.g. MP7SE) or save more money to buy the MP11SE. IMHO, it's difficult to sell these kind of keyboards in a normal/healthy used market situation.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You could get an ES110 and cheaply sell it when your chosen piano arrives . . .the piano's super but the action is light and the speakers only ok for a small room

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Your friend's RD-2000 is a much better unit, plus comes from a trustworthy seller. The MP11 action is different but I'm not sure it is better.

That MP11 looks like it took a trip down a flight of stairs...but you might not know about any damage to the mechanics right away.

Assuming the MP11 works fine on test and all keys play smoothly without sound, I would pay $500 (any damage and/or refurbising costs you don't identify during the purchase inspection would be at your expense, alas). Surely the seller will not take that in this crazy market. You will have difficulty reselling any instrument in such poor condition.

The MP11 has 2 popular design flaws.
- Rubber pads can unstick on each key; that can be fixed but it takes a lot of time. There are threads here on grand feel clinic

- The pedal unit pot goes wonky. You can replace the pedal unit or do a joe flaherty mod which is documented here. The pedal unit was upgraded in the MP11se

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Abdol
Seems like a gigging keyboard and those are all transportation damages. I personally would never buy a keyboard in this condition.

MP series hold their value really well. I'd only have one suggestion for you if you can afford a new MP11SE, go for the new keyboard. I'd purchase something cheaper (e.g. MP7SE) or save more money to buy the MP11SE. IMHO, it's difficult to sell these kind of keyboards in a normal/healthy used market situation.

There are no MP11SEs around and not till Spring of 2022 - money is not issue, i'd pay retail price for it but i can't find one at the moment.

This one is going for around 1300 so if it is good working condition, i think its a compromise :-)

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
There are no MP11SEs around and not till Spring of 2022 - money is not issue, i'd pay retail price for it but i can't find one at the moment.

This one is going for around 1300 so if it is good working condition, i think its a compromise :-)

There are two scenarios here:
1- You need a keyboard right now and it has to match the specs of MP11+, and this is the only option you have, then buying this makes sense to me.
2- You don't need a keyboard and you're just too impatient to wait few months...

Brother Gong & Serunai, develop some patience man... it goes a long way laugh once you get the new keyboard it will be even sweeter!

Last edited by Abdol; 12/21/21 05:05 PM.
G
OP Offline
G
1- You need a keyboard right now and it has to match the specs of MP11+, and this is the only option you have, then buying this makes sense to me.
2- You don't need a keyboard and you're just too impatient to wait few months...

Brother Gong & Serunai, develop some patience man... it goes a long way laugh once you get the new keyboard it will be even sweeter!

Damn man - ok.. thanks for the words of 'wisdom'.
I'm backing out of the transaction.
I've just gone without a keyboard for 6 years (owned S90 and sold it when I moved)- running out of patience because i read so much about the phantom MP12 when i should have just gotten the MP11SE and now.. this :-/

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

I've just gone without a keyboard for 6 years (owned S90 and sold it when I moved)- running out of patience because i read so much about the phantom MP12 when i should have just gotten the MP11SE and now.. this :-/

I'd offer the $500 you've been suggested to the MP11 -- if every key work correctly at any level that you can try (at least pp, ff and mp/mf). At worse the owner will say no.

If that fails, I'd go with the RD2000 or another compromise which is acceptable to you. It's good to have patience but life is short and there will always be something better around the corner, so what are you going to do? Wait until your last day? Six years is already too much.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Let me do some math for you:

- You have waited 6 years, that is 12*6 = 72 months
- If you order now, let's say you'll get the keyboard in 4 months

4/72 ~= 0.06 that's only 6% of the 6 years laugh you waited this long and can't handle 3-4 months? There is also the chance that you get it earlier than promissed too!

N
NXR Offline
N
- You have waited 6 years, that is 12*6 = 72 months
- If you order now, let's say you'll get the keyboard in 4 months

4/72 ~= 0.06 that's only 6% of the 6 years laugh you waited this long and can't handle 3-4 months? There is also the chance that you get it earlier than promised too!

Math, meet Reality. smile

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...h-delayed-shipping-club.html#Post3109239

I also expect that prices will continue to increase because the demand is there and companies have learned they can charge more for the same product.

Tomorrow is promised to no one. Only the OP can make the determination as to how much longer they are willing to wait for what they want, whether they want to buy something for the interim and then sell it or what.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
I just checked the specs on the RD-2000:
. . . PHA-50 action
. . . 2 Mod wheels, and Roland's Pitch/Mod lever
. . . 8 knobs, 9 sliders

And stuff you won't need if you use VST's:

.. . . both sample-based and modelled "SuperNatural" tone generators, with individual-note tweaking.
. . . A bunch of effects, EQ, etc.

You could do a lot worse.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Whilst thos conversation goes nowhere, I contnue to enjoy my ES110 . . . .just learned two (old) songs for Christmas.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission