2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Mr Sh4nkly: I might be wrong, but I think all the Seiler grands, including the ED Seilers, have full Renner actions. I know the ED 186 does. I have played one, and the action was delightful. And I think (though I could be wrong) the German made uprights also use a Renner action. Someone else here may know.

D
D
Congratulations on the Seiler piano! It’s sure to be a lot of fun.

Maybe I should go from being a collector of vinyl records to being a piano collector. This Seiler would be high on my list smile. Unique.

K
OP Offline
K
For those who asked me to post photos: I won't be taking possession of the piano until the beginning of February!!! (Good thing I'm a patient man. I've waited for years; I can manage a few more weeks.) We are moving house at that time and I don't want the piano to be shifted a second time. The last time we moved house, my Yamaha receive a little damage. I do remember, however, that it just had the word Kitzingen, not Made in Kitzingen.
I'll post photos once I have the beast.

D
D
Sensible decision. Better to keep the anticipation a little longer and then enjoy the piano for a long time.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by kiwiinkorea
Mr Sh4nkly: I might be wrong, but I think all the Seiler grands, including the ED Seilers, have full Renner actions.
That was my understanding and what appeared to be the case while having a look at my ED grand's. Based on what the Samick dealer told your wife, maybe it's different for the ED uprights. Whatever the case, I do trust them to know that they're doing and their reasoning behind it.

Seiler SE-186
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks Starre. I hope you, too, enjoy your piano.

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks, Zeitios. That 122 is a very different design from the ED 132. Making music certainly is fun, as we all know.

D
D
Originally Posted by kiwiinkorea
Thanks, Zeitios. That 122 is a very different design from the ED 132. Making music certainly is fun, as we all know.

Yes, you are right. In the video he says that Seilers normally have a very nice warm sound. This one is the opposite of it. So you can be looking forward to playing/hearing yours at home soon smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zeitlos
In the video he says that Seilers normally have a very nice warm sound.

I’ve played a lot of new Seilers over the years (pretty friendly with 2 of their dealers, attended a US dealer meeting/product launch, and play them in their room at the NAMM show annually) and “warm” is not the first descriptor I’d use to describe the ED/SE line. That’s not to say they’re incapable of making a warm sound—particularly when you get into their concert grand model…but the first thing I have always noticed about their tonal signature was a very distinct brightness that is a little unlike anything else.

Sometimes the folks in these videos need to talk less and listen more!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
D
D
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
but the first thing I have always noticed about their tonal signature was a very distinct brightness that is a little unlike anything else.

Sometimes the folks in these videos need to talk less and listen more!

Interesting. Thanks. That matches what he says about the reviewed Seiler piano in the video. Tones in the upper range that are completely different form any other piano because of their brightness. According to your judgement this is more or less a characteristic a lot of Seilers share. Unique and therefore very interesting.

Anyway, the TO has found his piano and he will have a lot of fun with it, that’s for sure. smile

P.S. The reviewer also played the Seiler Pianos at the NAMM show. Probably it all breaks down to personal preferences (as always :)).

Last edited by zeitlos; 12/25/21 09:05 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
…but the first thing I have always noticed about their tonal signature was a very distinct brightness that is a little unlike anything else.
It does now that you mention it. Crunchy in the bass. Sparkly in the treble.

Seiler SE-186
S
S
My Seiler is for sure quite bright and a sparkling treble just like in that video, a little too much for my taste but it is not very hard to soften it, I did that using a damping panel behind the piano. If you want to go further the hammers can be softened.
The bass is powerful and the mids sings very clean but are not exactly "warm" which blends in with the high treble. It uses a Renner action with Abel hammers. Seiler is not as expensive as Steinway, Blüthner, Bösendorfer so you can not expect to get the very best possible, but I am happy with my choice and it was the right price point for me buying new, a used Seiler can be found at very good price since the name is not very well known, I think you can get a fantastic deal if you find one in good condition.

Last edited by Starre; 12/25/21 05:05 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I thought to post this review even though it is mainly concerned with SMR action of the ED Seiler piano 132.
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/the-vertical-piano-is-not-dead/

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
Congratulations on your ED Seiler piano.Pianos of that height are often special for thier full tone.A number of years ago I tried the ED Seiler briefly.I remember a really lovely tone.The action was very light and responsive.So wonderful that you have found a beautiful piano!
My experience of this model piano was a number of years ago,
so my memory is not clear.I do remember thinking it had a very nice tone.I certainly would not have thought that if it was terribly bright.There are some U series Yamaha uprights I distinctly dislike for that reason.It is possible the hammers had been carefully voiced.That dealer does have very good technicians and services thier pianos well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission