2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Colin Miles, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

As promised I remember you of the goals you set at December 2020……..find out what you have written…….
Your goals you set December 2020

And….did you succeed in what you wrote one year ago……have fun…. grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, I didn't set any specific goals (at least not publicaly grin) but I did achieve a lot of things this year. I played my first Chopin etude (op. 25 no. 2) my first Rachmaninov (op. 3 no. 2) and learned over 50 pieces this year (most of them much, much easier than these two). I think I made some good progress and things feel much more natural lately.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, I got 3 out of 3!

1) Take part in every ABF online recital and themed recital in 2021: I played in every online recital - all 8 of them.

2) Learn some Chopin: I learned and performed the Military Polonaise. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I'll take it.

3) Keep playing clarinet/piano music with Tootles, my wife: Five different pieces in 2021! This is where most of my piano study effort went. I seemed to be constantly trying to keep up.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I only participated in the last PW recital this year but managed to submit a piece I wanted to learn. It's an orchestral piece with few piano versions so worked on my own arrangement during the lockdown and finished the piece by November.

Normally I'd be too busy to arrange music but stick to piano pieces or the ones with a piano version at my playing level. I wouldn't be spending so much time on the computer moving notes around from bar 1 to 63.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

as the author of this thread, I'll check my goals..... grin
My goals for 2021 were:
1. Hopefully a cancer-free year...(has nothing to do with music, but important...)…….CHECK (not my credit of course)
2. More organ performances at my beloved Willibrorduschurch..……….CHECK
3. Back to work as volunteer at the National Organmuseum in Elburg - The Netherlands..…….CHECK (but now again closed because of Covid lock-down sick cry cry)
4. Working at my piano technic..…..CHECK

Today I will post a new topic to put the goals of ABF……
Have a nice third christmas-day, kind regards

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Here's how mine came out:

1. Join Piano World forum. That was sort of a given or I wouldn't have been able to post my goals on this thread. It was still a big step for me after just lurking for years. It's been great to join in the fun.

2. Improve condition of repertoire. Most of it needed either polishing, had fractures or even needed relearning.

I consider this one a mixed success. First of all, I culled it down by over half. I'd started with 25 pieces, attempting to follow Charles Cooke's Playing the Piano for Pleasure suggested starting number of 25. I discovered that I couldn't maintain them by merely playing them once a week. Increasing mistakes would creep in and the pieces got worse and worse. I ended up using a variation of a popular home organizer's question - 'does this piece spark joy?' and got the repertoire down to 11 pieces. Entering more than half of them in ABF recitals was incentive to get them in good order. Sadly, I haven't played most of them since mid November due to various other projects, so I have a fair amount of work ahead of me again for this goal.

3. More practice in music arrangement. I did spend more practice time on improved my skill, but I didn't complete any new arrangements.

4. Put my sight reading practice to good use by starting to read through my sheet music collection.

Only read through 5 of the easiest books from my sheet music collection, so that's clearly a start. Most of my collection isn't easy enough for sight reading practice. I ended up buying a bunch more beginner level sheet music books for sight reading.

5. Learn how to use the record feature on my new digital piano. Did it. That goal was probably too easy.

6. Submit at least one recording for the ABF Piano Bar.

Did it. There was only one Piano Bar (back in July). I claim extra credit on this one for submitting six other pieces for the Great American Songbook themed recital plus various others for additional ABF recitals and the holiday music thread.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Fine to see the results of other members……

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
2021 Goals

1. Work on a concerto piece (Grieg) with teacher. I think this is a unique opportunity, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

Did not happen smile

2. Challenge Piece - Sonata Pathétique. I learned Mvmt 2 and played it at my teacher's workshop, which was recorded. I'm happy to share if you want to review and trash ;0.

This I continued to work on, including Mvmt 1.

3. Continue with easier pieces, work on musicality, relaxation, reading efficiency (not sightreading!). Additionally, I feel like I have learn things over again with the new grand piano.

This I worked on the most, simply playing easier pieces with more relaxation. I found this year to be a breakout year in terms of speed and relaxation.

4. 1st quarter 2021 - Machine Learning II (SMU class) .. meaning I'll have less time to work on the above

And this as well consumed a lot of my time. I finish in April though. Capstone is on Quantification of EKG Instability prior to Cardiac Arrest in Patients with Single-Ventricle Physiology.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
2021 Goals

1. Work on a concerto piece (Grieg) with teacher. I think this is a unique opportunity, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

Did not happen smile

2. Challenge Piece - Sonata Pathétique. I learned Mvmt 2 and played it at my teacher's workshop, which was recorded. I'm happy to share if you want to review and trash ;0.

This I continued to work on, including Mvmt 1.

3. Continue with easier pieces, work on musicality, relaxation, reading efficiency (not sightreading!). Additionally, I feel like I have learn things over again with the new grand piano.

This I worked on the most, simply playing easier pieces with more relaxation. I found this year to be a breakout year in terms of speed and relaxation.

4. 1st quarter 2021 - Machine Learning II (SMU class) .. meaning I'll have less time to work on the above

And this as well consumed a lot of my time. I finish in April though. Capstone is on Quantification of EKG Instability prior to Cardiac Arrest in Patients with Single-Ventricle Physiology.

Hi Sharp(C)ylist,

Respect….you did good work…..

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Not to sound cheeky, but I really had one goal: stay alive as vaccines weren’t that widely available yet. But did end up passing 3 exams, unplanned. It’s been an erratic year to stay consistent. Better than 2020…and need to think about 2022…hoping for smoother sailing…

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The Goals:

1. Prepare and sit AMEB Level 4 Theory exam
2. Sit AMEB Grade 7 exam in the June/July sitting
3. Actively work on improving my sight reading; read daily and read longer pieces

The Excuse:

My father passed away in early July and I flew to Scotland to be with my family. What was to be a 2 month visit turned into a 4 month stay, as Australia cancelled my return flight and just about every international flight until 1st November.

The Reality:

1. I did not take the theory exam but did quite a bit of study
2. I did sit and pass AMEB Grade 7 performance exam.
3. I did return to regular sight reading practice in the first half of the year; until my best made plans took a turn.

The Bonus:

A four month break from the piano has proven to be something I needed, but hadn't realised I needed, I used my time in the UK to indulge another one of my hobbies by hiking two of the UK's most famous trails, The Cape Wrath Trail and The Pennine Way.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If it had said archived, rather than achieved I would have a contribution to make.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
My 2021 goal assessment
1. build scale speed and flow up to 88 bpm
*my scales are faster, smoother and more relaxed. Can work my way around the circle of fifths when I can't fall asleep
2. complete the RCM level 7 etudes (I'm halfway through the book)
*Not complete b/c I set it aside to work on other music
3. enter at least 2 ecitals
*I didn't make this happen but did record one Christmas piece for a group video at the end of the year
4. play for two zoom groups once per month
*I played with 3 groups this year on a monthly basis working up new pieces and playing them for each group. I gained confidence in playing for others. One group returned to f2f in fall 2021.
5. memorize one level 6 or 7 piece
*I didn't master memorization past a few lines but continue to believe that it is possible.
6. study theory
*I continue to gain knowledge on theory and acquired Mortensen's book on improvisation which is really theory put into practice. I'm still working on it but it's a slow go. I wish I had a group to work with on this.
7. find a new piano teacher when f2f resumes
*After my piano teacher died last December, there was a long period of mental transition and grief. I interviewed and found not one but two teachers to work with. One is available for weekly lessons and I'm enjoying her style of teaching. The other is available to me when another student is absent. She is an expert in Taubman technique. I'm learning a Haydn sonata with her.

8. Goals evolve as a year goes by. I've learned and performed more pieces this year than ever in my life.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Are there any more evaluations from 2021 to report? At the start of this thread you find the goals you set....

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Check your goals you set at december 2020……

JohanB

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

M
M
I'm sorry I am very late for this - I spent Christmas - Epiphany with family and am only just catching up.

It's exciting to see so many people having met their goals, especially when life made it particularly challenging.

I'm proud to have achieved mine for 2021. I worked diligently, and I have made some progress. My reading is more fluent, and my playing slightly less sloppy.

My main goal was to practice regularly, and indeed I only missed a couple of days when I was home. I listed a number of pieces I wanted to learn, and I managed them all and more besides thanks to the 40-pieces-a-year challenge. I even tackled my nemesis, learning some Bach Inventions! I did a considerable amount of reading, and I can feel the benefits. I even began to learn some theory - although there is much more to do.

I had said I wanted to learn the Pathétique. I enjoyed the work I did on it immensely, but eventually realised that my progress was slow and that Henle 7 is far beyond me. I may try again next year.

My main regret is not encouraging my son to make better progress. I am glad that he still loves the piano, but am very sorry that I have failed to ensure that he makes better use of his natural talent.

Thank you Johan for posting the initial thread and this opportunity to assess one’s journey. I have found it extremely motivating.

Now to set my goalposts for 2022!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks….You’re welcome……Monviso

Kind regards,
JohanB

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

S
S
I did not set any goals here, but I have acquired a piano on the new year, so I'll consider that my musical goals for 2021 fulfilled. 2022 may be a bit more ambitious than that. Fair?

Kawai CA79
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by steamrick
I did not set any goals here, but I have acquired a piano on the new year, so I'll consider that my musical goals for 2021 fulfilled. 2022 may be a bit more ambitious than that. Fair?

Hi Steamrick,
Kawai ca79….fine hybride digital piano…have fun at the keys….
Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So, I'm kind of (very) late in this self-assessment, but better late than never! 😊

My score for 2021 stands as follows:

• Learn (more precisely: memorize, and comfortably play) 475 measures of classical music
    This was overly ambitious; in reality 311 measures entered my repertoire, whilst another 70 were learned, but those pieces were dropped before being learned completely. All in all I am quite happy however, because my repertoire increased dramatically in 2021.
  • Learn two works at Henle level 6
    Sort of, maybe, nearly. I did learn one, and I did learn 75% of another one, but that only amounts to 87.5% completed.
  • Learn one Beethoven sonata movement
    No, I dropped that, but I did learn two Beethoven bagatelles, and 75% of another one. I am quite ok with this.
  • Re-learn three currently lost works
    Virtually, yes. I re-learned two works, and then learned one that I had almost learned earlier, but failed at the time to make into repertoire.
  • Listen to each of Schuberts impromptus and moments musicaux, while following along in the score, twice during the year
    Yes, did that.
  • Listen to each of Debussys preludes (book 1), while following along in the score, twice during the year
    Yes, did that.
  • Listen to each of Beethovens bagatelles (opus 33, 119, and 126), while following along in the score, twice during the year
    Yes, did that.

In retrospect 2021 was a fabulous piano year for me, the major achievement being adding many pieces to my repertoire (despite being burdened with a house move during the year, which was a stressful time unfavourable for learning new works).

Thank you, Johan B, for creating these yearly personal goal threads! They help me plan, and steer my progress.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission