2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
alans Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was practicing really well with a great new teacher but even though I’m triple vacced I think I still caught the virus and my body has been going crazy.
I’m hoping to start again tomorrow. For a week I couldn’t even think of going near the piano. I really hope lessons don’t return to zoom again,I really don’t like that form of learning.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes. It has been stressful.

Learner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Yes, my progress has slowed significantly due to lack of motivation since the beginning of the pandemic.

Kawai K500
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
My daily schedule is rather unorganized. I still practice music and go for group piano lessons every week. Since I'm spending more time at home, practice time can be early in the morning, afternoon, evening or very late at night into the early hours of the next day. I'm not exactly a night owl. Some days I'd be in bed early after dinner while other days I'd stay up all night.

Progress is about the same as before the pandemic lockdown. I'd be working on 1 - 3 pieces at a time. The days when my energy level is way down, I'd practice for an hour and stick to the piece I know well. Other days I'd put in more time and work on the newer piece.

After 2 years we anticipated the C-19 virus would be under control and the world start to reopen. Along came the latest variant before the holidays forcing some countries into lockdown again. Not a lot we can do but get vaccinated regularly and be patient.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I also adopted a puppy in July 2021, so that has changed my ability to focus.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We spent less days visiting friends and family, or strolling through Stockholm and having coffee in a cafe, so I have a bit more time for practising, but otherwise the pandemic hasn't changed much.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
An understatement. I am okay to share that I was already dealing with mental health issues, burnout and delayed grieving…the pandemic took me into a tail spin..and only this year, am I starting to see light and yes, professional help is essential and for that I am grateful.

Piano lessons turned towards zoom, and it is my preferred choice. Focus was tough , but playing the piano calms me down. I did pass 3 exams, which surprised me. I am allowing myself grace if I take some days away from piano. Pandemic was a curse and a blessing. I discovered new art projects that I wouldn’t have had the time to look into. Looking ahead, I am looking for balance, not intensity.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The pandemic affected other activities in my life but not the piano. I had piano lessons with zoom and I continued to practice every day.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
As my day (& night) job is in the front line, I was trying to stay safe (not to mention stayin' alive - sounds like a song smirk ), and quite often, would be utterly exhausted mentally if not physically when I managed to get home. Piano would then be a means of taking my mind off what I'd seen and been through that day, so learning difficult new rep went out of the window, and just playing through stuff I already know and love took over almost completely for most of the last year, and the early part of this year.

I really only started to feel somewhat 'safe' when I got my vaccinations (and obviously, I was in the priority group to get them). How I managed not to get infected at all until then seems like a minor miracle.....and while I'm indulging in pensive rumination, how lucky we are that this is 2021, not 1918, and that science was able to come to our rescue so rapidly.

And my monthly recitals of course were also cancelled, so there was no real need for me to learn anything new to perform. Instead, I spent most of my time at the piano playing through some of the stuff I hadn't played for a long time (not since I was a teenager, in fact) - almost sight-reading them, because many were completely forgotten scores. As well as actual sight-reading of pieces I'd never heard or played before, from various sources like Pianist Magazine. Some people might be surprised that my idea of playing music that would take my mind off the stresses of my job is not slow gentle 'relaxing' pieces, but fast & furious stuff with lots of notes which keep all my fingers busy, which is also the kind of pieces I like to perform (though I do usually throw in one or two slower, gentler pieces in each recital, of course grin). It's only when I'm warm and sweaty from my workout at the piano that I feel ready to wind down and get ready for bed.

Through many of those dark days, piano was like my lifeline to sanity, and avoidance of burnout.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
For much of last year the local conservatory got students on Zoom. Since September the administration allows in-person lessons for people with proof of vaccination with the Zoom option available. Local schools will be going back to Zoom / online learning in January. Still waiting to hear if the conservatory is going to lockdown in January meaning all the students will be on Zoom.

Local stores are open but limit the # inside. Some popular stores have lineups outside. Younger people still find a reason to go out everyday even to a coffee shop. Seniors tend to stay home due to mobility and health reasons.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
For much of last year the local conservatory got students on Zoom. Since September the administration allows in-person lessons for people with proof of vaccination with the Zoom option available. Local schools will be going back to Zoom / online learning in January. Still waiting to hear if the conservatory is going to lockdown in January meaning all the students will be on Zoom.

Local stores are open but limit the # inside. Some popular stores have lineups outside. Younger people still find a reason to go out everyday even to a coffee shop. Seniors tend to stay home due to mobility and health reasons.

As what would be called a senior, I don’t stay home for mobility or health issues, but because of soaring Covid-19 infection rates and more transferability than with past variants. My friends feel the same.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission