2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (DebraK, BillS728, Anglagard44, alexii, Bruce In Philly, brennbaer, anotherscott, BMKE, arlie, 13 invisible), 742 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
CWT Offline
C
Originally Posted by bennevis
I follow the advice of Beethoven's great predecessor, Mozart, who said to Joseph II, when asked why he used so many 4th fingers:"I use my 4th finger as often as I need to: no more, and certainly no less." smirk

BTW, are you sure that those fingerings are editorial? Beethoven was fond of his fourth fingers because he wore his rings on them, so he wrote fingerings for them.

13bwl Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by anamnesis
If you need a quick really simplified summary, it's basically that theory as most people are exposed it is rather clunky because it really only allows "two layers" of chord-tones and non-chord tones.

The reality is you can experience music as multi-layered nesting of "harmonies" interpreted as almost "mini-key signature like" areas that don't have to perfectly line up all the time.

--------

Normal chord theory only works in so far is that there seems to be an obvious "conspiracy of agreement" between lines at a certain layer of the music.

The Harmony textbook by Robert Snarrenberg linked to at the end is probably the most explicit treatment concerning the agreement of lines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/3f9lmy/books_on_composition/ctmo8cn/
That's extremely interesting. I will definitely look into it more. I always did consider the chord tones and non chord tones a bit limiting so I'm curious about getting to know what this is all like.

Working On:
Bach BWV 870
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
Chopin Op. 31 and Op. 10 No. 3
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
My 4th fingers never collapse. I use them very frequently because they can save stretching with the 3rd, and are much stronger (physically) than the 5th.

The muscles of the hand can get much stronger. I used to be able to close the captains of crush no. 2.5 gripper (237.5lbs), and I started off at the 80lb one. I used to have a finger exerciser where you push individual spring loaded plungers down with a maximum force of 8lbs (variable settings), I worked my pinky up from 4 ish to 8. Playing piano definitely felt easier in some ways back when my hands were stronger from constant training.

I've experimented with and practiced all the feasible fingerings in numerous passages with major and minor thirds in both hands and am not scared of any double notes. My hands are fairly big (I can reach A to C#) but the 4th finger is the most comfortable to use, partly because I don't have a very stretchable hand, partly because my 5th finger is a little shorter so it's awkward to use 3 and 5 together in a lot of situations.

Last edited by trigalg693; 12/30/21 05:39 AM.
S
spk Offline
S
My piano professor trained in the Eastern Europe/Russian school, and said the 4th finger is often referred to as the “ “singing” finger.

Not sure how true it is, but makes sense to me. But would definitely depend on the circumstance.

To play the main note of a smooth melodic line, probably wouldn’t want to use thumb or 5th finger. 2nd finger might feel awkward, 3rd might be too strong.

On the other hand, doing something like a 3-4 trill is difficult and you can use substitutes. But it is worth developing that ability. Sometimes you don’t have much of a choice. , ie Brahms Paganini Variations Bk 1 var 4.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,191
Posts3,193,862
Members105,345
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission