2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Christian S, brdwyguy, 36251, accordeur, BlackKnight, BravoRomeo, bwv872, 11 invisible), 891 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I've been looking for a used upright piano under $5000 (located in northeast US). One that caught my eyes was a 48' Schimmel made in 1986. I'm pleasantly surprised by its condition - (to my untrained eyes) not a single scratch, no rusty strings, hammers not heavily grooved. There's no model number on the body but it has distinctive metal cross bracing in the back.

The other pianos I found around $4000-$5000 were mostly 46' and shorter Yamaha, Kawai, Boston and Young Chang made in the early 2000's. While they all sounded good, the deep tone of the Schimmel really stood out.

Obviously I will bring a technician to check out the pianos, but what do you think of a 35-year-old 48' Schimmel vs. 15-to-20-year-old 45' Yamaha, Kawai, Boston, etc? Is going with an older piano a huge mistake?

I consider myself an intermediate level player. I achieved level 10 15 years ago but then stopped playing altogether. After this very long hiatus I decided to pick it up again. I'm probably at level 6 currently.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Neither a 45- not 48-foot piano would fit in my house, nor could I reach the keyboard!

All kidding aside, pianos under normal usage will last sufficient longer than 35 years. What would matter is if they have been heavily played. If they are not played much, they will last 50 to 60 years without a lot of deterioration just from age. But it does depend on usage, as well as the conditions in which it has been in. If you like the Schimmel, by all means, have it checked out.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Pika
If you don’t know of a good tech in your area, you can find a member of Piano Technicians Guild by using the search function at PTG.org

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
The piano might be quite good. German uprights from that era can be pretty well made, and as long as the condition checks out, you like the piano, and you're happy to pay the asking price or negotiate a lower one, then it could be a good buy for you.

I can't speak to whether the price is good, I don't know the market in the US well enough to know if this is what would be considered a good deal, but the dealers will know.

YAMAHA Artist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Is the Schimmel being sold by a dealer or private seller?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Carey
Is the Schimmel being sold by a dealer or private seller?

It's from someone with lots of connections in the music world and has been fixing up and selling used pianos out of their house as a side gig. I was told they're selling 1 piano per month on average.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If it's in good condition the Schimmel sounds promising.Out of the others I would focus on the Yamaha or the Kawai.Only thing is a studio sized piano is much more likely to give you a better sound.Perhaps you could even restore the Schimmel in a few years time.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Without knowing more about each piano, we really aren't able to give you sound advice. The Schimmel uprights of 1986 were not the same quality as their "top shelf" piano of today, but they were still good.

I think condition will be the overwhelming determiner in this situation and I can't really help there. I suggest having an independent technician examine your choices, if possible.

Good luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Z
Z
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
The Schimmel uprights of 1986 were not the same quality as their "top shelf" piano of today, but they were still good.

Where’s the difference? What do older Schimmel uprights lack in comparison?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
OP, you didn’t say where you are. I presume US? Big city, small city? If the seller sells one piano a month s/he is probably not desperate for customers. These things impact the price.

Also is delivery included in the price? If this is the person’s side gig, do they tune? Is in-home tuning after delivery included? What about a warranty or some guarantee?

In addition to the above, which all influence how you assess the price, you need to look at and play other pianos for sale in your area, not hypothetical used pianos. You don’t say how long you’ve been piano shopping, is this the first piano you’ve auditioned? You mention 15 to 20 y/o Yamahas, but from what I can see moderately used Yamaha uprights are in short supply and sell fast. A 15 y/o Yamaha upright (say a U1) may or may not be a better piano than this Schimmel, but it’s irrelevant if you can’t find one for sale.

Having said all of that, you definitely need to find an independent piano tech (not the seller) to evaluate the piano and help you assess the condition.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Taking up piano after a long absence is a wonderful endeavor!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,517
Members105,374
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission