2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Brendan, David Lai, AndreaH, bwv872, BillS728, accordeur, 36251, 13 invisible), 606 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3179410 12/22/21 06:50 PM
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,

I need to upgrade my very old DP.

I was hoping to compare the Kawai ES 920 with the Yamaha P515, but of course everyone is basically out of stock.

I've recently found an in-stock ES 920 - if i don't get this now, in hopes of comparing it to a P515, am i likely to have to wait 6 months or more?

I've read through the forums and understand that these keyboards are both pretty similar, so i'd be willing to grab the Kawai if the consensus is that new Yamahas won't be available anytime in the near future.

thank you!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Who knows what future availability will be. The Yamaha and Kawai were in stock at stores in 2021 in Europe and the US, but not frequently.

C
C
I'm partial to the Kawai (as you can tell from my sig line) but from what I understand, they're both excellent pianos. If you need a piano now, I'd say pick one up. The Kawai is an excellent board. Hard to know whether you'd like the Yamaha better, but probably either is a big improvement over a "very old DP."

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
+1

R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
ok, thanks.

Sweetwater website says that kawai has suspended production of the 920 until july 2022. Hopefully Yamaha is still trying to crank them out.

N
NXR Offline
N
My dealer said that only Casio makes their own chips and does that in Japan. That's why they are still available in a lot of places when Kawai and Yamaha are not.

Well, that, and the fact that Casio is still trying to overcome their "toy" reputation. smile It's probably a corporate ego thing but I would have chosen a different name for the high-end products. Kind of like how "Lexus" is actually Toyota and "Acura" is actually Honda.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
B
B
I have heard last week from dealer, that Yamaha is having a lot of trouble delivering instruments. Same goes for Kawai as they need some chips for their Digitals.

L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Belger1900
I have heard last week from dealer, that Yamaha is having a lot of trouble delivering instruments. Same goes for Kawai as they need some chips for their Digitals.

It doesn’t seem like much has changed since the beginning months of the pandemic. I ordered a Yamaha DYUS1, a YUS1 with Disklavier, in December of 2019.

When Yamaha realized that they could not meet their delivery schedule, they offered me an incredible deal to upgrade to a DYUS5 that was already in the US. When I said yes, they shipped the piano from California to New Jersey.

Japanese companies pride themselves on delivering on time and they take it seriously when they fail to meet their delivery schedules. I am one very happy customer. I got a piano that I did not think I could afford, and I absolutely love the instrument.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rhailey
Hello,

I was hoping to compare the Kawai ES 920 with the Yamaha P515, but of course everyone is basically out of stock.

I've recently found an in-stock ES 920 - if i don't get this now, in hopes of comparing it to a P515, am i likely to have to wait 6 months or more?

I've read through the forums and understand that these keyboards are both pretty similar, so i'd be willing to grab the Kawai if the consensus is that new Yamahas won't be available anytime in the near future.

thank you!
I recently sold my p515 that I owned for 3 years to get a es920. Es920 is much better sounding piano and key action, I’d get the es920

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
D
D
I somewhat agree with going for the Kawai. I compared the p515 with the ES8 ,and although the Yamaha had more features, the action and feel of the Kawai was better for me. However had a couple of issues with dead notes on the Kawai, remedied the first time by Kawai, but now out of warranty so living with the occasional silent note.So do not know if the ES920 resolved those keybed issues. ES8 and the ES920 are virtually the same except for the Bluetooth?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by David176
I somewhat agree with going for the Kawai. I compared the p515 with the ES8 ,and although the Yamaha had more features, the action and feel of the Kawai was better for me. However had a couple of issues with dead notes on the Kawai, remedied the first time by Kawai, but now out of warranty so living with the occasional silent note.So do not know if the ES920 resolved those keybed issues. ES8 and the ES920 are virtually the same except for the Bluetooth?

First off, welcome to the forum.

What is the manufacturing year of your ES8? Serial number should give a hint.

Is your silent note followed by a loud one? I had frequent loud notes with my ES8 and they were always preceded by a pause. After I replaced the contact strips AND updated to the last firmware version, the loud notes are gone (so far). What I could not get rid of is the damned clicks that bothered me by then (they still bother but I kind of learned to live with them frown ). Though I use my ES8 more often than my RD2000 out of sheer laziness (power on, wait three seconds and start playing), I am one that do not recomend Kawai because of my experience (also because of my location - long story but my previous experience with tech support wasn't exactly good). Apparently Kawai fixed the problem that caused the loud notes (probably the same that causes the silent ones in your case) by replacing the contact strips and the contact PCBs. AFAIK they are the same used in the ES 920 so in this regard probably is a safer purchase.

FWIW, here is the thread I created to record my work with ES8 guts.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2796400/es8-opening.html

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
This might sound overly pessimistic, but how about this:

Buy now, you never know if you may see a tomorrow.

Originally Posted by U3piano
This might sound overly pessimistic, but how about this:
Buy now, you never know if you may see a tomorrow.

This ^^^^^^^ smile
And for the same reason, eat dessert first! laugh laugh

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
As they say, there is no time like the present.

R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well it looks like Kraft has the p515 in stock if anyone has been waiting.

Unfortunately my wife got Covid so I can’t go try out the kawai that’s in stock at a local store.

Doh!

Well it looks like Kraft has the p515 in stock if anyone has been waiting.

Unfortunately my wife got Covid so I can’t go try out the kawai that’s in stock at a local store.

I think that I speak for all in giving my prayers that she recovers quickly and fully. Please give us an update

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
R
Rhailey Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Oh thank you! When I wrote that post she was already recovering. Of course I tested positive a few days later and recovering as well.
Ridley

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hello,

thank you!

So, I'm going to give my Aristotelian words of wisdom again lol:

- You only need air, water, and food to survive, so realistically speaking you don't need a digital piano

- Let's say P-515 is 10% or 20% better than ES920, so is it worth the wait? If so, then wait, if not then buy.

The only person who should make this decision is you! No one will ever tell you what to buy because if it ever happens that you don't like it, they will be at fault (which realistically is not true).

Do your research, make a decision and forget about the other one. Ignore the negative reviews here (like the ones I post) as well. Don't overthink!

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
N
N
I was in the same position six months ago. I wanted to compare the p515 to the es920 before deciding, but there were no floor samples anywhere. I had been watching the online dealers for a good six months with no luck, and when a few of the es920s became available at Kraft music, I decided to take the leap. I honestly don't like digital pianos of any kind. I live in an apartment and need one for silent practice. So the action is the most important criteria for me. I especially like the es920 action. It feels very realistic to me.

I also like its elegant looks and relatively light weight. The reduced weight has turned out to be a very positive feature for me... It's on a stand in the living room and needs to be put away when we have guests, and even at 36 lbs it feels like dragging a bear. I wouldn't want to have to move the 45 lb Yamaha that often.

It has a lot of features, and after six months I'm still experimenting with them. At some point I will post a complete review of my impressions over in the es920 owner's group, if you want to follow that, but for now suffice it to say that I don't regret ordering it online sight unseen. One benefit of not waiting any longer is that I could stop wasting time online obsessing over es920/p515 comparisons... :-)

Baldwin L ❤️
Yamaha p115
Kawai es920
Hello,

thank you!

Hi, sound of ES920 is great but there are two flaws loud keybed and quite boucy too. I sold it for Roland FP-90X whch the actions is imo much more superior and quiter.

If not in hurry, worth waiting for stock to arrive then try it first. All the best with purchase.

P.S: with or without headphone, the loud keybed is obvious.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,506
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission