2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (accordeur, AJB, Boboulus, Andrew E., Adem, btcomm, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 811 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
OP Offline
U
...With one question.

Again, only action conscious classical pianists.

What's the best I can get for under 3.000€?

Don't say CASIO GP-310 before you read my opinion in my last thread. If you can't he bothered: I found it underwhelming.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I'm affraid you already got your answer in the other thread.

I don't believe there is anything above a vpc-1/mp11se/ca99/gp-310 etc, action wise.

So, for that money, the only answer is a used hybrid or silent piano.

- Yamaha nu1(x)
- Yamaha n1(x)
- Yamaha n2
- Yamaha n3(x)
- Kawai nv5(s)
- Kawai nv10(s)

All real actions, maybe you can find one of the hybrid uprights at that price.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by U3piano
I'm affraid you already got your answer in the other thread.

I don't believe there is anything above a vpc-1/mp11se/ca99/gp-310 etc, action wise.

So, for that money, the only answer is a used hybrid or silent piano.

- Yamaha nu1(x)
- Yamaha n1(x)
- Yamaha n2
- Yamaha n3(x)
- Kawai nv5(s)
- Kawai nv10(s)

All real actions, maybe you can find one of the hybrid uprights at that price.

I used to think the same, only 6 hours ago. The difference between the VPC1 and the Roland 704 is already noticeable.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I honestly think the GF3 action found in CA79/99 is the best action UNTIL you get to NV10/S. There's nothing else I'd consider, i have owned N1X also, but the action is not as fast/capable as the GF3. I've gone through countless different actions over the years and I've never felt more comfortable and content than I do on my CA99... Unless it's an NV10/S lol, but I'm not shelling out thousands more for that, especially as i dont rate the speaker system on it whatsoever, its quite awful in fact.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by mwf
I honestly think the GF3 action found in CA79/99 is the best action UNTIL you get to NV10/S. There's nothing else I'd consider, i have owned N1X also, but the action is not as fast/capable as the GF3. I've gone through countless different actions over the years and I've never felt more comfortable and content than I do on my CA99... Unless it's an NV10/S lol, but I'm not shelling out thousands more for that, especially as i dont rate the speaker system on it whatsoever, its quite awful in fact.
That's useful. Have you tried the newer Celvianos and the Roland Hp 700s?

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Usheraname
Originally Posted by mwf

I've tried everything...

Have owned a CLP 785... It has an uncomfortable overly-heavy resistance towards the end of the key depression. The action does not reflect a concert piano action at all. Tried the current Roland LX series and their version of a hybrid concert action, it's actually pretty good, and so is the casio GP310/510, but to me i prefer GF3 in the kawai. It's subjective, but I'd say those are the top 3 actions before you get onto the grand/upright hybrids. My preference is still towards GF3 though over any hybrid apart from NV10/S like i said.

L
L
I completely concur with mwf's views on the CA79/99, above.

If you usually play with headphones, the CA79 would be perfectly fine. The CA99's soundboard does add another dimension to the sound over speakers, but is well over your budget.

You may want to read my three-part piano upgrade saga from a couple of years ago, here:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2845043
To summarize, if I had to buy a digital, it would be the CA99. However, I ended up with an acoustic grand and am happy with that!

All the best,
Lotus

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes the CA79 is an amazing deal, they are approx £2300 In UK... And for that you get a wonderful action and set of samples, and the speaker system is also great imo, i only chose CA99 because i simply could afford to, otherwise honestly I'd be perfectly happy with CA79 as it shares the exact same beautiful action.

C
C
Originally Posted by mwf

What put the 99 above the upright hybrids? I’m thinking about the NU1X, but it’s more $

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Curt-S
Originally Posted by mwf

What put the 99 above the upright hybrids? I’m thinking about the NU1X, but it’s more $

I'd always worry about repetition rate and speed overall on an upright action, they just don't interest me, at least i know what i can do on a good grand type action. I can't see any reason to lean towards an upright hybrid action, they have no benefits other than feeling more like an acoustic upright... Why you'd want that is beyond me.

C
C
Gotcha. Just thought the upright acoustic would have more nuance from the extra parts vs a ca99 or 785. I’ll probably never play fast enough to worry about repetition rate.

L
L
A corollary to my original post for Usheraname, having read some of his other threads:

As a university piano student, you probably play at a level above 90% of the posters on this forum, including me. So take our advice for what it's worth.

You will understand that opinions about actions are highly subjective. In my piano purchase saga, I found that my opinions of the same digital actions varied over the course of six months. And in the end, the dynamic control offered by even entry-level acoustic grands blew all the digitals away.

I found that the higher end of Kawai's CA series represented the absolute limit of what I would spend on a digital. The limitations of sound through digital speakers compared to acoustic grands became impossible to accept when I considered spending more than that.

This is not to say that all digital pianos are inappropriate for experienced players. As a student, you value silent practice and portability, two attributes that have little meaning for me, living in a detached house with no close neighbors.

I would choose a CA79 in your place, but that doesn't mean it's right for you! Trust your own ability to make a decision; you have the experience to do so.

Happy New Year!
Lotus

B
B
Another thing to keep in mind: the sound a DP produces and how it reaches the ears will have a profound affect on perception of key action and ultimately timbre.

Setting the volume too low will make the action feel heavy, so you’ll subconsciously play more forcefully, making the sound brighter / harsher as well.

Geoff
CASIO GP-510 Digital | C. Bechstein B Grand
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” A. Einstein
N
N
Originally Posted by BravoRomeo
Another thing to keep in mind: the sound a DP produces and how it reaches the ears will have a profound affect on perception of key action and ultimately timbre.

Setting the volume too low will make the action feel heavy, so you’ll subconsciously play more forcefully, making the sound brighter / harsher as well.

I wondered about this, not wanting to chime in as an early intermediate pianist, but audio is one of my specialties and I think it's easy to underestimate the how much the sound affects our perception of the action.

For example, I remember usheraname said the VPC1 felt too light in another thread, but the VPC1 actually appears to have one of the heavier actions out there. There is a chart with the weightings of many keyboard actions here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbt...piano-key-action-and-static-touchweights

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by mwf

I've tried everything...

Have owned a CLP 785... It has an uncomfortable overly-heavy resistance towards the end of the key depression. The action does not reflect a concert piano action at all. Tried the current Roland LX series and their version of a hybrid concert action, it's actually pretty good, and so is the casio GP310/510, but to me i prefer GF3 in the kawai. It's subjective, but I'd say those are the top 3 actions before you get onto the grand/upright hybrids. My preference is still towards GF3 though over any hybrid apart from NV10/S like i said.
Originally Posted by napilopez

I wondered about this, not wanting to chime in as an early intermediate pianist, but audio is one of my specialties and I think it's easy to underestimate the how much the sound affects our perception of the action.

For example, I remember usheraname said the VPC1 felt too light in another thread, but the VPC1 actually appears to have one of the heavier actions out there. There is a chart with the weightings of many keyboard actions here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbt...piano-key-action-and-static-touchweights

Originally Posted by Lotus1
A corollary to my original post for Usheraname, having read some of his other threads:

As a university piano student, you probably play at a level above 90% of the posters on this forum, including me. So take our advice for what it's worth.

You will understand that opinions about actions are highly subjective. In my piano purchase saga, I found that my opinions of the same digital actions varied over the course of six months. And in the end, the dynamic control offered by even entry-level acoustic grands blew all the digitals away.

I found that the higher end of Kawai's CA series represented the absolute limit of what I would spend on a digital. The limitations of sound through digital speakers compared to acoustic grands became impossible to accept when I considered spending more than that.

This is not to say that all digital pianos are inappropriate for experienced players. As a student, you value silent practice and portability, two attributes that have little meaning for me, living in a detached house with no close neighbors.

I would choose a CA79 in your place, but that doesn't mean it's right for you! Trust your own ability to make a decision; you have the experience to do so.

Happy New Year!
Lotus
Gotcha. Just thought the upright acoustic would have more nuance from the extra parts vs a ca99 or 785. I’ll probably never play fast enough to worry about repetition rate.
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by mwf

I'd always worry about repetition rate and speed overall on an upright action, they just don't interest me, at least i know what i can do on a good grand type action. I can't see any reason to lean towards an upright hybrid action, they have no benefits other than feeling more like an acoustic upright... Why you'd want that is beyond me.
Originally Posted by mwf

Originally Posted by mwf
Yes the CA79 is an amazing deal, they are approx £2300 In UK... And for that you get a wonderful action and set of samples, and the speaker system is also great imo, i only chose CA99 because i simply could afford to, otherwise honestly I'd be perfectly happy with CA79 as it shares the exact same beautiful action.
Originally Posted by Lotus1
I completely concur with mwf's views on the CA79/99, above.

If you usually play with headphones, the CA79 would be perfectly fine. The CA99's soundboard does add another dimension to the sound over speakers, but is well over your budget.

You may want to read my three-part piano upgrade saga from a couple of years ago, here:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2845043
To summarize, if I had to buy a digital, it would be the CA99. However, I ended up with an acoustic grand and am happy with that!

All the best,
Lotus
It is very kind of you all to have taken your time ti answer to my thread in New Year. Touching, I must say.

Indeed, I believe the CA79 might be the answer to the question. I'll be testing it as soon as the day after tomorrow, and will let you know.

Happy New Year

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I don't understand. What would make the gf3 action in the ca79/99 much better than the rm3-ii or gf1 in the vpc1/mp11se?

It's basically the same with some very minor tweaks, isn't it? (I haven't played gf3, but this seems to be the case.)

Happy new year everyone!

P
P
Not comparing gf1 and gf3 but I think it still applies.

FP-90x, PX-330
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Purdy
Not comparing gf1 and gf3 but I think it still applies.

Wait are you friggin' kidding me

A change in lenght of 1/8 of an inch, and a change in a small piece, and that's the difference?

Alright I'm going to test it I guess.

Last edited by Usheraname; 01/01/22 05:06 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by mwf

It’s good, nice you are making it personal.

With me it’s the opposite ;-) I think an upright is tougher, more straightforward. I find it best described in this video
‘it’s got a little bit more bite to it’ (5:45) and especially (5:50): ‘it does land itself’ (don’t know this use of the word land nor if I do write it the right way, but I understand) whereafter he loses himself in the boogie (6:00) ;-)

Old: a dusted Roland D5 synth. Upcoming: Yamaha NU1X digipi.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
What she fails to mention (as a good Kawai sales person) is the flaw that plagues GFII because of the infamous slip tapes the screw heads rests on and that have caused problems to several users. The mechanism on GFIII looks better and, hopefully, fixes the design flaw.

Wait are you friggin' kidding me

A change in lenght of 1/8 of an inch, and a change in a small piece, and that's the difference?

Alright I'm going to test it I guess.

Last edited by EVC2017; 01/01/22 06:50 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Sound Generators - Quality? Capacity? Options?
by bob@pei - 05/21/22 11:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,176
Posts3,193,568
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission