2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (BillS728, clothearednincompo, anamnesis, 36251, AJB, BlakeOR, 21 invisible), 898 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
Alright.

There's now one single DP standing in the way of me reaching the conclusion that there's no such thing as a digital -as opposed to hybrid- piano. The reason probably being that I've not tried that one DP yet.

First things first: congratulations to Kawai for the Novus. I assume the rest of manufacturers offering things in this price bracket provide loosely similar quality. Action wise, these hybrids are indeed instruments where a classical pianist-to-be could train. If you're looking for something serious, this is your (my) bare minimum.

Incidentally, the reason I'm trying to buy a DP is because they come in two pieces and you can potentially move them relatively easily. You can't do that with a Novus, afaik.

Now, on with the CA-79.

This is where I ask you all something. There has been a misunderstanding here I believe. All along I thought there would be some model, somewhere where a high end DP's action would overlap with a dirt cheap acoustic one. Apparently that's not the case.

I tried the CA-79, and... You remember when I called CASIO's GP 310 action a sleepy fat baby, and Roland 704's one a vertical with an eating disorder? Well, KAWAI CA-79 truly offers the soul of an acoustic action. You can feel it, and it's something out of X Files, because the rest of the body is not quite there. Barring the YAMAHA CLP-775 which I've not yet tried, it's probably the best action I'm not buying.

I had the rare chance today of playing on my acoustic vertical after 10 days on the VLC-1. I had to spend nearly 30 minutes regaining my finger strenght. And it's not a heavy piano, my acoustic. Imagine if I hadn't been able to play on it before arriving at the music school a week from now. Then, what?

I don't understand people telling other people, specially students, to go buy DPs.

On Sunday, ladies and gentlemen, I'll tell you about the 775.

Peace.

Last edited by Usheraname; 01/04/22 04:12 PM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I told you you should get a hybrid. smile

To be honest I don't really understand how you can expect a imitation action of a dp to be sufficient for a high level piano student as yourself. They are quite different from a real action technically, of course it's going to feel different. You don't practice in a electric car and then expect to perform well in a petrol car race.

I think if your that serious, then you should practice on an action that serious as well.

But, I think some of these hybrids actually do come in 2 pieces, but I don't know how easy they are to take apart. Maybe you can look up some unboxing and set-up videos on YouTube to see if it's doable for your situation.

P
P
Originally Posted by U3piano
I think some of these hybrids actually do come in 2 pieces

Indeed. The NV10 is said to come in two boxes. However, I expect each halve to be as bulky and heavy as a complete entry-level digital piano :-)

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Usheraname
Incidentally, the reason I'm trying to buy a DP is because they come in two pieces and you can potentially move them relatively easily. You can't do that with a Novus, afaik.

Well...*technically speaking* the NV-10 can be broken down into two pieces for movement. But I wouldn't call it an easy move. I think the NV-5 is one-piece because of the integrated soundboard.

I tried the CA-79, and... You remember when I called CASIO's GP 310 action a sleepy fat baby, and Roland 704's one a vertical with an eating disorder? Well, KAWAI CA-79 truly offers the soul of an acoustic action. You can feel it, and it's something out of X Files, because the rest of the body is not quite there. Barring the YAMAHA CLP-775 which I've not yet tried, it's probably the best action I'm not buying.
Kawai's Grand Feel action is undisputedly nice. I haven't tried the latest GF3 variant in the CA-79, but it does address a lot of the major complaints from the GF1 and GF2 (soft/spongy bottoming out, use of slip tape). So I'm not surprised you like it. Whether it feels better to you than any other action (digital or otherwise) is probably a matter of personal preference, honestly.

I had the rare chance today of playing on my acoustic vertical after 10 days on the VLC-1. I had to spend nearly 30 minutes regaining my finger strenght. And it's not a heavy piano, my acoustic.
Key weighting is more complex than "light" or "heavy." An acoustic action has a lot more physical components behind it than a VPC-1, so even if the VPC-1 may have "heavier" downweight (static weight), it may take more force to move an otherwise lighter acoustic action quickly (dynamic weight).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
C
C
Good review. So does that mean you could live with the Ca79? It's £3000 cheaper than a Novus Nv5! Also did you try the Ca99 Vs 79?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
I had the rare chance today of playing on my acoustic vertical after 10 days on the VLC-1. I had to spend nearly 30 minutes regaining my finger strenght. And it's not a heavy piano, my acoustic. Imagine if I hadn't been able to play on it before arriving at the music school a week from now. Then, what?

I

I think you're describing what happened in a confusing way.

Your "finger strength" wouldn't have degraded much, in ten days. And if it only took you 30 minutes to regain it, that's _really_ good evidence that it didn't degrade:

. . . muscles don't regain strength that quickly, if they are weakened.

What happened -- I think -- is that it took you 30 minutes to recover your acoustic-based playing habits (or what I'd call a "velocity-to-volume map"). That's the largely-unconscious sense of:

. . . "to get the sound (volume and/or tone) I want, I have to strike the key _this_ hard."

That _will_ be different between a DP and an acoustic -- especially if the DP emulates a "grand action", and the acoustic is an upright.

You got used to the VPC-1, and were surprised when you switched to the acoustic and it didn't sound right?

. . . Next time you do that, it will take you less than 30 minutes to re-adapt.

I had the problem (at a much less sophisticated level), going from my Casio PX-350 to my teacher's Yamaha upright, for lessons. The problem was half-solved by setting the Casio's "Touch" to "Hard-1" (instead of "Medium"). The other half -- the Casio's too-short sustain, and lack of cross-string resonance -- required switching to a VST (Pianoteq).

Once I did that, what I did in practice, worked pretty much the same in lessons.

The problem is similar to what happens when you rent a car, of a type you've never driven. It takes a while to adjust to the new car's responses to control inputs -- steering feel, accelerator sensitivity, brake feel.

I sympathize with your frustration. But I think you're overstating the case when you say:

I don't understand people telling other people, specially students, to go buy DPs.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
L
L

A curious statement, to be sure!

No one told you to buy a digital piano. In another thread you asked, as a student with portability and -presumably- silent practice in mind, which digital piano we would recommend. The consensus was that the Kawai CA79 is one of the best options with such constraints.

Remember when I told you that I shopped for six months for a digital piano upgrade ... and ended up buying an acoustic grand instead?

Sure, my grand piano offers far better dynamic control with its heavier action, and it sounds much better without the limitations of digital piano speakers.

But I still enjoy my digital for its features that no acoustic can offer -- calling on hundreds of instruments at the touch of a button, playing orchestral parts while I play the lead on the piano, etc. Each has its place!

All the best,
Lotus

The volume setting on the digital, and also the key sensitivity setting, changes how it feels. Neither of these changes the physical response of the keys, but it changes the players perception of the keys and the instrument as a whole. If being able to easily switch between acoustic and digital is important, turn the volume on the digital most of the way up.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, Embertone Walker vst, etc.
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by U3piano
I told you you should get a hybrid. smile

To be honest I don't really understand how you can expect a imitation action of a dp to be sufficient for a high level piano student as yourself. They are quite different from a real action technically, of course it's going to feel different. You don't practice in a electric car and then expect to perform well in a petrol car race.

I think if your that serious, then you should practice on an action that serious as well.

But, I think some of these hybrids actually do come in 2 pieces, but I don't know how easy they are to take apart. Maybe you can look up some unboxing and set-up videos on YouTube to see if it's doable for your situation.

You were right it seems.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Cutec
Good review. So does that mean you could live with the Ca79? It's £3000 cheaper than a Novus Nv5! Also did you try the Ca99 Vs 79?
I could not, to the first question, and no to the second but afaik the action is the same

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Lotus1

A curious statement, to be sure!

No one told you to buy a digital piano. In another thread you asked, as a student with portability and -presumably- silent practice in mind, which digital piano we would recommend. The consensus was that the Kawai CA79 is one of the best options with such constraints.

Remember when I told you that I shopped for six months for a digital piano upgrade ... and ended up buying an acoustic grand instead?

Sure, my grand piano offers far better dynamic control with its heavier action, and it sounds much better without the limitations of digital piano speakers.

But I still enjoy my digital for its features that no acoustic can offer -- calling on hundreds of instruments at the touch of a button, playing orchestral parts while I play the lead on the piano, etc. Each has its place!

All the best,
Lotus
Glad to read you. I wasn't referring to you guys telling people to buy DPs, rather to Youtubers.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
. . .

I

I think you're describing what happened in a confusing way.

Your "finger strength" wouldn't have degraded much, in ten days. And if it only took you 30 minutes to regain it, that's _really_ good evidence that it didn't degrade:

. . . muscles don't regain strength that quickly, if they are weakened.

What happened -- I think -- is that it took you 30 minutes to recover your acoustic-based playing habits (or what I'd call a "velocity-to-volume map"). That's the largely-unconscious sense of:

. . . "to get the sound (volume and/or tone) I want, I have to strike the key _this_ hard."

That _will_ be different between a DP and an acoustic -- especially if the DP emulates a "grand action", and the acoustic is an upright.

You got used to the VPC-1, and were surprised when you switched to the acoustic and it didn't sound right?

. . . Next time you do that, it will take you less than 30 minutes to re-adapt.

I had the problem (at a much less sophisticated level), going from my Casio PX-350 to my teacher's Yamaha upright, for lessons. The problem was half-solved by setting the Casio's "Touch" to "Hard-1" (instead of "Medium"). The other half -- the Casio's too-short sustain, and lack of cross-string resonance -- required switching to a VST (Pianoteq).

Once I did that, what I did in practice, worked pretty much the same in lessons.

The problem is similar to what happens when you rent a car, of a type you've never driven. It takes a while to adjust to the new car's responses to control inputs -- steering feel, accelerator sensitivity, brake feel.

I sympathize with your frustration. But I think you're overstating the case when you say:

My statement involves only those in high performance classical settings.

I cannot say that I know the subtleties of finger musculature. I can only speak of what it felt like.

As to the response curve settings in DPs, which is a built in software feature in my VPC1, my experience is that grands do not correspond with a "hard" response configuration, but rather the opposite. Grands are rather quick to the touch, whereas the "hard" digital configuration just makes me need to smash the key in order to get ≥ forte. Tuning the curve might help a little, but ultimately it results in a variation on the same theme. I do believe physical key pushback weight plays a role.

Last edited by Usheraname; 01/05/22 05:26 AM.
S
S
I cannot say that I know the subtleties of finger musculature. I can only speak of what it felt like.

It does not take a great student of biology to know that muscles are built up on a timescale of days, weeks and months, not minutes.

If you're seeing a difference in results within the same day, something different is at work.

Kawai CA79

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,111
Posts3,192,214
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission