2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Roy123
I can only hope that all this sardine talk is tongue in cheek. There has often been some nonsense or another that supposedly would help musicians play better. A famous story is the one of Schumann who irreparably damaged his fingers trying to make them stronger. In the 50s a number of jazz musicians somehow became convinced that heroin would make them more creative. The most tragic example, perhaps, is that of Bill Evans, one of the world's greatest jazz pianists. He died at age 51--what a loss--first because of his heroin addition, subsequent to which he became addicted to cocaine.

The implicit comparison between heroin and sardines is a bit odd. Heroin is a highly addictive and toxic substance. Whatever you think of sardines, are neither addictive nor highly toxic.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sgisela
I can only hope that all this sardine talk is tongue in cheek. There has often been some nonsense or another that supposedly would help musicians play better. A famous story is the one of Schumann who irreparably damaged his fingers trying to make them stronger. In the 50s a number of jazz musicians somehow became convinced that heroin would make them more creative. The most tragic example, perhaps, is that of Bill Evans, one of the world's greatest jazz pianists. He died at age 51--what a loss--first because of his heroin addition, subsequent to which he became addicted to cocaine.

The implicit comparison between heroin and sardines is a bit odd. Heroin is a highly addictive and toxic substance. Whatever you think of sardines, are neither addictive nor highly toxic.

I wasn't comparing heroin to sardines at all, implicitly or otherwise. I was merely giving examples of the crazy and sometimes destructive things people believe and try out to attempt to improve their musicianship. I thought that was clear, but perhaps not. Although sardines seem to be a perfectly healthful food, believing that they will improve your piano playing is more than a bit nutty IMO. Becoming proficient at the piano, or any other musical instrument for that matter, is difficult, and progress can seem slow and frustrating at times. People look for any advantage they can get, and sometimes, through wishful thinking, they get led down the garden path. No one is immune to a bit of craziness every now and then--it's just human nature, or so it seems.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Roy
The current medical opinion, based on review of historical documents. Is that Schumann did not destroy his hand by trying to make it stronger, but that he had focal dystopia.

There are a number of resources on the internet for this
Thanks for the update.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Rich, if you hadn't posted pics, I would have said your story is just a red herring.

hehehe! thumb

If you caught him in a whopper, then it might be pickled herring! wink

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sgisela

Oddly enough, I find myself craving the sardines!
Perhaps I have a serious nutritional deficit.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Oh man! I bolted in and out of the grocery at lunch time, and I didn't think to grab more sardines...

[Linked Image]

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I have a little pile of nine tins in my pantry. And six tins of anchovies...

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve eaten a half dozen or so tins of sardines since this thread opened. I am hooked. I’m still trying different brands. The best so far is the Crown Prince boneless and skinless in olive oil. Add a little olive Muffuletta on the side and some cheese. A nice lunch and very filling.

Kawai NV10
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre cord
Rich were you a member of a choir that sang with Andrea Boccelli?

Hi tre cord,

Yes I was. When Bocelli comes to town the orchestra and opera chorus are made up of local musicians/singers.

And it only took me a few days of sardines to become part of the show. 😜

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Rich, that was a good one 🤣

Hoping Bocelli wasn't put off by your fishy breath!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I picked up a few tins last night, and just had one for lunch (with crackers).

I was surprised earlier that I didn't find them really disgusting and terrible. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd have put them at about a 7 or 8. I was even craving more later.

Today--first can in several days--I'd put it more at about a 4 or 5. Not "bad" but perhaps leaning that way.

In the previous cans, the fish broke apart fairly easily, and were easy to manipulate onto whatever I ate them with. Today they seemed more stuck together (compressed?) in the can, and were more difficult to work with. Consequently, I also ended up with a bigger bunch of "bits" as I progressed through the tin, which then become more oily. I'd dump the oil out, but I'm trying to keep the mess fairly consolidated too, to make cleanup less of an issue.

I'm wondering if I should try some packed in water rather than oil.

I'm also curious how those who are doing this for the health benefits, and not just because they like, them are dealing with the flavor and consistency of the fish. Honestly, I expected it to be pretty disgusting, and it hasn't been, but I do wonder if they will wear on me after a while.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
These are very palatable. I always quite look forward to them.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/252748144?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX_Shopping+GCS_New_Generic_All+Products*New:+F%26D:+Food+Cupboard:+Food+Cupboard*PRODUCT_GROUP252748144*&ds_rl=1116322&ds_rl=1116019&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuGNBhCPARIsACbnLzr-8ShQP4b8Njbf2vd40-KxmRQstvqpCpQ1621bRq87Y7bg7QIEsnAaAh26EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Is anyone still doing this?

I was surprised last night at Lidl that sardines were only 89¢ per tin! I haven’t eaten any, but bought a couple more tins. Previously I bought them packed in oil. This time I grabbed some packed in fresh water.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't eat meat or fish, but I do have chocolate sardines, and chocolate's a superfood, right?

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I don't eat meat or fish, but I do have chocolate sardines, and chocolate's a superfood, right?

My daughters insist on dark chocolate these days. thumb

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

I was surprised last night at Lidl that sardines were only 89¢ per tin! I haven’t eaten any, but bought a couple more tins. Previously I bought them packed in oil. This time I grabbed some packed in fresh water.

The Lidl sardines (in oil) certainly did our old dog no harm. Whereas we prefer anchovies she used to have one or two tins of those Lidl sardines a week supplementing her normal food and she lived to 21 years - which is pretty spectacular for a large dog (German pointer, sort of).

(For myself I prefer the sardines in tomato sauce or even water to those in oil - but tomato isn't good for dogs, and as she got older the oil was good for her as we needed to get every calorie into her that we could)

Last edited by gwing; 01/05/22 12:37 PM.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing

The Lidl sardines (in oil) certainly did our old dog no harm. Whereas we prefer anchovies she used to have one or two tins of those Lidl sardines a week supplementing her normal food and she lived to 21 years - which is pretty spectacular for a large dog (German pointer, sort of).

(For myself I prefer the sardines in tomato sauce or even water to those in oil - but tomato isn't good for dogs, and as she got older the oil was good for her as we needed to get every calorie into her that we could)

I think tomato or mustard sauce would probably taste good, but somewhere I read that the less fresh fish get packed this way to mask the deterioration. I don't know if there's truth to that, of course.

21 years is a long time for a dog. Perhaps the sardines helped! thumb

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I had a can of the water-packed sardines this evening. I know that apparently there isn't a "sardine" fish but rather a category of small fish, but these were actually rather large compared to those I've had before. Only 4 large fish chunks filled the tin. It was less oily, of course, but about the same fishiness, if that makes sense. I only ate about 2/3 of the tin on triscuits and tossed the rest.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Thanks, I will just have some chocolate, makes me pretty intelligent while I am eating it. 😲

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
As intriguing as this was, I knew better than to test my gag reflex. However, I did start taking highly user-rated Omega 3 (EPA + DHA) and Phosphatidyl Serine supplements with evening meals a month ago, stuck with it, and haven't felt this sharp, mentally in years.

Seiler SE-186
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission