2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3182461 01/05/22 12:27 AM
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm trying to get a private owner of a Spirio system to allow me to try the midi port on his controller box, and thus control it with a computer. He's a bit nervous about me trying, and would like some proof from Steinway that its benign.

Does anyone have access to the Spirio user guide so I can verify that it's possible and satisfy him? I've already contacted Steinway, but I guess because it's not MY piano, there was no response.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I suppose it might not be benign if you played a black midi file. I guess it would be silly if Steinway shipped nonworking midi ports.

By the way, my Yamaha DYUS5 Enspire standard does not have midi ports, kind of a disappointment. I use a wireless wifi adapter and drag midi files into the file structure and it plays them.

It’s ok, I’m not into DAWs and all. It doesn’t sound like your friend is into them either. Which model did he buy? A model B?

Ask your friend to contact Steinway for technology information.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/05/22 03:37 AM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dore
... private owner ...

... I guess because it's not MY piano, there was no response...

There’s an easy way to solve this problem.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
You can go to a Steinway dealer who has a Spirio, and say you are interested in the Spirio and want to know whether you can see whether the midi port works, since that is important for the use you want it for. I am guessing they are not going to deny a potential customer.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes but that won't convince my friend. Need it written or something to show.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The dealer can get you this information. Usually corporate level contacts are more responsive to dealers than they are to individuals.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dore
I'm trying to get a private owner of a Spirio system to allow me to try the midi port on his controller box, and thus control it with a computer. He's a bit nervous about me trying, and would like some proof from Steinway that its benign.

Does anyone have access to the Spirio user guide so I can verify that it's possible and satisfy him? I've already contacted Steinway, but I guess because it's not MY piano, there was no response.

You can only send MIDI out to the Spirio. It's fine, and it works (that's why the MIDI IN port is there). There is no User Guide available.

M
M
Find out whether the main control box on the underside of the Spirio is silver (first generation Spirio, based on the Live Performance LX system) or black (second generation, a new design commissioned by Steinway). I worked on the firmware for the first generation units and continue to maintain the firmware for LX owners; I was not involved with the second generation (Spirio R / Spirio Play). I believe Steinway does not officially support the MIDI IN port on the first generation systems, but they did not disable it. The MIDI port will respond to note and pedal events only on MIDI channel 1 (of 16) but predates some protective features that were later implemented in the LX firmware. To avoid trouble, don't try stunts like striking 30+ keys at the same time (might blow the stack fuse) and don't deliberately allow notes to be held on longer than 30 seconds or so. If you stick to ordinary, well-authored piano MIDI files, you'll be fine. Use MIDI note velocities in the range 24-100. If you don't need real-time control via MIDI, you will get more accurate playback (including true proportional pedaling) by encoding MIDI files to native Spirio streams using my MID2PianoCD encoder.

B
B
Hello, Mark - since you worked on the firmware, I have a new Spirio and wanted to control the volume of play by hopefully using a general setting that would control the level of key stroke pressure. Some of the performances were obviously in a large hall and the performer hammered the heck out of the keys for full effect. I have this piano in my foyer, which is reasonable sized, but wanted to mellow the play if possible. Ideas? Cheers and thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I suppose it might not be benign if you played a black midi file. I guess it would be silly if Steinway shipped nonworking midi ports.

By the way, my Yamaha DYUS5 Enspire standard does not have midi ports, kind of a disappointment. I use a wireless wifi adapter and drag midi files into the file structure and it plays them.

It’s ok, I’m not into DAWs and all. It doesn’t sound like your friend is into them either. Which model did he buy? A model B?

Out of curiosity, why aren't you using the to host USB on the back I/O box?

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Bwarren
Hello, Mark - since you worked on the firmware, I have a new Spirio and wanted to control the volume of play by hopefully using a general setting that would control the level of key stroke pressure. Some of the performances were obviously in a large hall and the performer hammered the heck out of the keys for full effect. I have this piano in my foyer, which is reasonable sized, but wanted to mellow the play if possible. Ideas? Cheers and thanks!

That's built into the system already. Touch the volume icon when your selection is playing and simply drag it to how soft you want it. All the way to the left will read "soft play" and all the way to the right will read "Full Dynamic Range".

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jeff Bauer

I believe I have a USB to WiFi transmitter on the back but I’ll look tomorrow. What am I missing?

It’s not easy to get behind the piano.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/06/22 10:20 PM.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

My question as well Larry. MIDI ports are so 20th century. Cutting edge products haven't needed them for, geez, almost 20 years.

Interestingly, when I looked under the first generation Spirio, I was surprised to see serial ports. Your DYUS5 doesn't have those either. (They haven't been needed for years either).

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

My question as well Larry. MIDI ports are so 20th century. Cutting edge products haven't needed them for, geez, almost 20 years.

Interestingly, when I looked under the first generation Spirio, I was surprised to see serial ports. Your DYUS5 doesn't have those either. (They haven't been needed for years either).

There is a LAN plug. I’m using that to a little wireless device to communicate with the UD-WL01 plugged in the front control panel.

Here is a picture of the box in the back:

[Linked Image]

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/ud-wl01/index.html

Last edited by LarryK; 01/07/22 10:06 AM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
So, what I need to do is tie in my Disklavier to the television, and stereo, which is in the living room adjacent to the dining room, where the piano is located. I need to run a 30? foot RCA cable from the RCA outputs on this box to the stereo. That way, I could enjoy DisklavierTV and any Pianosoft+Audio titles. The television is next to the stereo.

Rich, any tips? I'm trying to think who makes a decent RCA cable, a long one. I am able to follow a wall from one room to the other so I can pretty much hide the cable.

Setup guides are here: https://www.yamaha.com/usa/disklaviertv/setup.html

Last edited by LarryK; 01/15/22 04:17 AM.
P
P
Not intending to revive an old thread, however Google pointed me to this page when looking up the same, so posting the following reference in case it is useful to anyone else: https://spirio-spotlight.steinway.com/quickstart-guide-r/welcome

O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Spirio User Guide:

* Be rich
* Have a big home
* Do not play the piano
* Show off your wealth and supposed affinity to culture to those who you want to impress by your wealth

This is actually how they market the Steinway brand here in Austria. No more Boston or Essex pianos in the main showroom and all the rest of the instruments crammed into an adjacent room. And of course no piano bench in front of the concert grand.

If you own a Steinway and need to have it repaired after 20 or so years of ownership, you will be told that they will gladly send your piano to Hamburg and send it back to you after 18 months and after handing over 40-50k EUR.

These days Steinway's sales and marketing strategy is to become the equivalent to Gucci handbags, at least in their own stores.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission