2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Alex C, ChickenBrother, David B, Brus, 36251, Animisha, 14 invisible), 670 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 29 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 28 29
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by stevedoz
Can I just clarify something please?
I don't have a USB A-B cable. My arrangement is a cable which has standard 5 pin midi In and Out cables at one end and USB at the other end. I use this to connect the piano to the laptop. I then loop the sound back with a standard 3.5mm audio cable.
It definitely has sound/interference issues.
If I bought the UM-ONE or similar, can you tell what this would replace in my current set up?
Thank you.

Steve, is your cable by any chance similar to this one?

[Linked Image]

I have read some people reporting logic problems with it (i.e., it may not work in every cases). I suspect they do not add the optoisolator in it, which could cause the ground loop aforementioned (therefore, noises as well).

The UM-ONE would replace this cable. There are some other alternatives, M-Audio (but seemingly some folks also had some issues with it), Yamaha and some other brands. I think UM-ONE is from a reputable source, costlier but IMO it is worth it (and it is not THAT expensive anyway). The Yamaha UX-16 would be my other choice because of the brand, but I have no experience with it, unlike the Roland.

I hope this helps.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
S
S
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Can I just clarify something please?
I don't have a USB A-B cable. My arrangement is a cable which has standard 5 pin midi In and Out cables at one end and USB at the other end. I use this to connect the piano to the laptop. I then loop the sound back with a standard 3.5mm audio cable.
It definitely has sound/interference issues.
If I bought the UM-ONE or similar, can you tell what this would replace in my current set up?
Thank you.

Steve, is your cable by any chance similar to this one?

[Linked Image]

I have read some people reporting logic problems with it (i.e., it may not work in every cases). I suspect they do not add the optoisolator in it, which could cause the ground loop aforementioned (therefore, noises as well).

The UM-ONE would replace this cable. There are some other alternatives, M-Audio (but seemingly some folks also had some issues with it), Yamaha and some other brands. I think UM-ONE is from a reputable source, costlier but IMO it is worth it (and it is not THAT expensive anyway). The Yamaha UX-16 would be my other choice because of the brand, but I have no experience with it, unlike the Roland.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.
My cable looks like that but without the box like bit at the top. Just 2 midi connectors to a USB connector.
Cheers

Kawai ES920
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
If you have noise when using that cable, there are two options:
A) buy a new midi cable that may or may not solve the problem;
B) buy an audio ground loop noise isolator that may or may not solve the problem. This receives the audio out from the computer and then connects to the kawai.

Since it is cheaper (about 10 gbp) and it is more versatile, I would go with B. Search amazon for that and buy the one with better reviews.

S
S
Originally Posted by vagfilm
If you have noise when using that cable, there are two options:
A) buy a new midi cable that may or may not solve the problem;
B) buy an audio ground loop noise isolator that may or may not solve the problem. This receives the audio out from the computer and then connects to the kawai.

Since it is cheaper (about 10 gbp) and it is more versatile, I would go with B. Search amazon for that and buy the one with better reviews.

That's useful to know. Thanks

Kawai ES920
S
S
Well I can connect the ES920 to the laptop using my midi cables with no issues at all. If I connect a 3.5mm cable from the laptop to the piano line in it goes haywire as soon as the piano is turned on. So looks like a ground loop isolator cable may be a solution.
I'm still tweaking the piano's own sounds and really liking the touch and sound. Pity I can't just upgrade my ability online...

Kawai ES920
R
R
Well I can connect the ES920 to the laptop using my midi cables with no issues at all. If I connect a 3.5mm cable from the laptop to the piano line in it goes haywire as soon as the piano is turned on.

Just curious, if you connect only the audio cable then the sound is ok?

I never use headphone out from computers to the pianos. I just happen to have a box full of USB audio interfaces so I use those to feed the piano's line in. My CA79 uses a $17 interface that works fine. Maybe that's the difference. I'm curious so I'll try the combo of USB A-B cable and audio cable to see if I get noise.

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep7-ii (1993)
S
S
Originally Posted by RickM
Well I can connect the ES920 to the laptop using my midi cables with no issues at all. If I connect a 3.5mm cable from the laptop to the piano line in it goes haywire as soon as the piano is turned on.

I never use headphone out from computers to the pianos. I just happen to have a box full of USB audio interfaces so I use those to feed the piano's line in. My CA79 uses a $17 interface that works fine. Maybe that's the difference. I'm curious so I'll try the combo of USB A-B cable and audio cable to see if I get noise.

No, the problem exists when just connecting the laptop to the piano with the 3.5mm. I have the laptop away from everything with just the audio cable connected, and as soon as the piano is switched on the feedback is terrible. If I connect the same cable between the piano and my android tablet, or an ipad, there are no issues at all. So it doesn't appear to be the midi side of things.
So it appears a ground loop isolator or an external audio interface.
Many thanks

Kawai ES920
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
it doesn't appear to be the midi side of things.

Try leaving the 3.5mm audio cable connected, then disconnect the MIDI cables - does anything change?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
it doesn't appear to be the midi side of things.

Try leaving the 3.5mm audio cable connected, then disconnect the MIDI cables - does anything change?

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks James but no. I get the issue when I have no midi connection at all. Just with the audio cable connected the problem is there. I need to see if I can work out another setup, but to be honest I'm very happy with the piano's own sounds so using a VST for me would be a nice to have, for some extra interest. Cheers

Kawai ES920
K
K
Hi everyone, have been lurking for a bit while I was waiting for my ES920, which has now arrived. Anyway, I can see tons of really useful information here about all manner of things, but I cannot find (even in the instruction booklet) how to record from the piano directly to a usb stick. I've formatted (to FAT32) three usb sticks, and they all come up with a 'format error' when I try and record directly to it. I'm talking about the usb slot on top near the controls.

I've Googled until I'm dizzy, and when I bought it, I checked with the store that I could record directly to usb and was told I could. How come I can't find anything about it? I decided to go back to the store if I couldn't figure it out, but thought I'd ask here before I make the return trip, as most subjects have been very well covered :))

K
K
I meant to say I formatted all the sticks on my Windows 10 laptop.

R
R
Recording audio to the USB stick starts on page 48 in the English manual. Page 61 shows an option to format the stick in the piano. That's certainly worth a try if you haven't already.

Hello Steve,

Thanks James but no. I get the issue when I have no midi connection at all. Just with the audio cable connected the problem is there.

Ah, okay, I see.

It could perhaps be a problem with the audio cable. Is it definitely a 3.5mm stereo audio cable? That might sound strange, however we recently received an enquiry from an MP11SE customer who was experiencing issues connecting his MacBook's headphone output to the Line In connectors. It turns out, he was using a mono cable.

Cheers,
James
x

Hello katina50, welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by katrina50
I've formatted (to FAT32) three usb sticks, and they all come up with a 'format error' when I try and record directly to it.

That's strange. Formatting a USB stick to FAT32 in Windows 10 should work fine in the ES920. What is the manufacturer/model of the USB sticks? I always recommend using a reputable brand, such as Sandisk. I would also favour USB2.0 sticks over USB3.1 sticks.

As RickM suggests, you can also try formatting the USB stick inside the ES920 itself, as explained on page 71 of the owner's manual (here).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Hello Steve,

Thanks James but no. I get the issue when I have no midi connection at all. Just with the audio cable connected the problem is there.

Ah, okay, I see.

It could perhaps be a problem with the audio cable. Is it definitely a 3.5mm stereo audio cable? That might sound strange, however we recently received an enquiry from an MP11SE customer who was experiencing issues connecting his MacBook's headphone output to the Line In connectors. It turns out, he was using a mono cable.

Cheers,
James
x

I think I will at least try a better quality one. Thanks for the heads up.

Kawai ES920
K
K
Recording audio to the USB stick starts on page 48 in the English manual. Page 61 shows an option to format the stick in the piano. That's certainly worth a try if you haven't already.
Thank you very much smile
I will try that.

K
K
What is the manufacturer/model of the USB sticks? I always recommend using a reputable brand, such as Sandisk. I would also favour USB2.0 sticks over USB3.1 sticks.
Two are Sandisk and one is Integral, all USB2.0

As RickM suggests, you can also try formatting the USB stick inside the ES920 itself, as explained on page 71 of the owner's manual (here).

I hope this helps.

James
x
Thank you. I think I'd read here to also try formatting it in Windows, which is why I tried. So I'll try doing it on the ES920. Also, bear with a newbie like me - but I still can't see from the manual how to choose to record directly to the USB. Once I've managed to format a stick properly, would I just hit record/play to direct it to the stick rather than the internal memory?

R
R
Originally Posted by katrina50
Also, bear with a newbie like me - but I still can't see from the manual how to choose to record directly to the USB. Once I've managed to format a stick properly, would I just hit record/play to direct it to the stick rather than the internal memory?

Please explain what part you don't understand. I followed the instructions in the manual and it worked fine for me. Here I've copied the text from page 48 of my manual. It's better if you look at your manual because there are little diagrams and screenshots to help guide you.

The selection of USB stick or Internal Memory is made in the first step "1. Entering USB recorder mode". You insert the stick, press the RECORD button (a white dot on the piano ---RECORDER--- section, then the MENU down button "v". Then select the format MP3 or WAV with the VALUE up and down buttons.

From the English manual page 48:

Recording an Audio file

1. Entering USB recorder mode

Connect a USB memory device to the USB port.

Press the "o" (REC) button, then press the MENU "v" button to select the “USB Recorder” function.

The LED indicator for the (REC) button will start to flash, and the USB Recorder screen will be shown in the display.

2. Selecting the audio recorder file format

Press the "v" or "^" VALUE buttons to select the desired audio recorder file format (MP3 or WAV).

* MP3 audio files require less storage space than WAV audio files.
* A 1 GB USB memory device can store over 12 hours of MP3 audio data.

3. Starting the audio recorder

Press a key on the keyboard.

The LED indicators for the (REC) and PLAY/STOP buttons will turn on, and recording will start.

The recording status will also be shown in the display.

* Recording can also be started by pressing the PLAY/STOP button, allowing a rest period or empty bar to be inserted at the beginning of the song.

K
K
You are a diamond!!! Thank you so much.

I was not on the right page for the recording options, I was on the page for formatting the stick and assumed the other instructions would be there. I will follow this to the letter.

Thank you again!

S
S

As a matter of interest, the ones I've seen seem to have dual rca input and output sockets. So if I connected one like that to the laptop via USB, I'd then need a dual rca to single 3.5mm cable to go to the back of the piano?
Thanks

Kawai ES920
Page 24 of 29 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 28 29

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,109
Posts3,192,136
Members105,292
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission