2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The older the piano is, the less likely they are to sound/feel the same.
The more hand labor is involved in the build of that series, the less they are likely to sound/feel the same.
Once parts start getting replaced, or if one undergoes some voicing and regulation while the other does not, can make a big difference in the sound and feel.

It sounds like you love that 20 year old C6. Try and negotiate the price down a little and get that one, instead of some random one that you're buying from a distance and might actually hate, in person. A new one (in the US) probably has a street price somewhere in the high $40k range (before tax/delivery).

Last edited by terminaldegree; 01/11/22 01:58 PM.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
The 20 year old C6 is a better piano than the GL-50. The GL series is Kawai's lowest quality tier of piano. The GX-BLK is more on par with the C series, which comes at a premium price.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
The older the piano is, the less likely they are to sound/feel the same.
The more hand labor is involved in the build of that series, the less they are likely to sound/feel the same.
Once parts start getting replaced, or if one undergoes some voicing and regulation while the other does not, can make a big difference in the sound and feel.

It sounds like you love that 20 year old C6. Try and negotiate the price down a little and get that one, instead of some random one that you're buying from a distance and might actually hate, in person. A new one (in the US) probably has a street price somewhere in the high $40k range (before tax/delivery).

A new C6X? It seems the SMP is about 65K, is it really that much of a difference between SMP and Street Price? In the UK, some stores actually publish their prices on their website. I still have no idea how things work in the USA!

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ticklethedawn
The 20 year old C6 is a better piano than the GL-50. The GL series is Kawai's lowest quality tier of piano. The GX-BLK is more on par with the C series, which comes at a premium price.

This is an interesting observation Tickle, and I can't objectively disagree. However, I think "quality" can be a bit misleading. First, the M3 action in the GL is the same as in the GX, so no decrease in quality there. Certainly no step down from the Yamaha action. The GL keytops are acrylic instead of neotex, and although less expensive, not necessarily worse (there are higher tier pianos that go with acrylic too). Also, some prefer the feel of acrylic. Are the strings on a GL worse than what they put on a C in the 1990s? I doubt it. How about the hammers? Is a GL belly of a lower quality?

Having poked around in my old GL10 quite a bit, I didn't find anything I'd consider low quality, and my model was built in Indonesia rather than Japan. Perhaps the Yamaha Cs used more expensive hammers and wood than the GL when adjusted for inflation, but are they objectively better?

I don't think there are hard answers to these questions. Both are quality instruments, even if the GL is the entry line for Kawai. Therefore if someone likes the sound of the GL better than the C or even a GX, I hope they don't forego the GL simply because they think it's of a lower quality. The GL will last as long as the other pianos, and if it sounds and plays better to you, then it's the better piano.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
A new C6X? It seems the SMP is about 65K, is it really that much of a difference between SMP and Street Price? In the UK, some stores actually publish their prices on their website. I still have no idea how things work in the USA!

23% off SMP, gets you in that neighborhood...

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood

23% off SMP, gets you in that neighborhood...

Obviously I studied piano for longer than arithmetic oops....

YAMAHA Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's okay, I don't expect anyone located in Tuscaloosa to be able to do math properly, 24 hours after what the football team in my state did to yours!
(I'd be shocked if you watched the game, knowing how much of an American football fan you obviously are...)

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Any updates on the OP’s shopping?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
J
J
If you owned Young chang piano for a long time, Yamaha would be much familiar to you than Kawai regarding action and sound as young copied Yamaha.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by j&j
Any updates on the OP’s shopping?

here is the update, Im still doing my home work.

Yesterday I tried a C5: piano was used as furniture for 20 years, looks brand new, but I was a bit taken aback by the sound... Something is missing vs the C6. Maybe because the piano was never played but I found the low end to be weak. (asking price 17k)

I really liked the action, to me same as the C6.

The C6 people called me back asking where I stand, negotiating.

I looked at a few refurb online but I wont buy a piano without trying it. I am not a great player by any means but I do care about sound.

Side note: my young chang pramberger is really not bad compared to a some pianos Ive tried in show rooms.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
It's okay, I don't expect anyone located in Tuscaloosa to be able to do math properly, 24 hours after what the football team in my state did to yours!
(I'd be shocked if you watched the game, knowing how much of an American football fan you obviously are...)

Obviously I went into a deep state of mourning and tore the sleeve of my favourite Roll Tide shirt.

Nah, I didn't even know the game was going on until my facebook exploded the next day!

YAMAHA Artist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Can you get the C5 evaluated by a tech? Even a barely played piano may need regulation, and possibly voicing, but it probably has serious potential. And it's definitely a good sign that you liked the action... How does the price of the C5 compare to the C6?

How much of a rush are the C6 people in?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Can you get the C5 evaluated by a tech? Even a barely played piano may need regulation, and possibly voicing, but it probably has serious potential. And it's definitely a good sign that you liked the action... How does the price of the C5 compare to the C6?

How much of a rush are the C6 people in?

The C5 is located in a store that does all kind of piano repair/reconditioning. I would probably be able to have them prepare it and try it before I buy.

The C6 is at a showroom, I believe they had the piano for years so probably no rush.

From what I heard I would say the C5 doesnt sound like a big piano as much as the C6. But maybe also due to room acoustics. Also, I felt the C5 needed more force to produce similar sound level to C6.
I found the C6 had a much richer harmonic profile for some reason.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hmm, it's hard to evaluate room acoustics, isn't it!

But def ask the C5 seller to prep it, and to address any concerns about it you have.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Every C6 I’ve ever played has been more powerful than the C5. The low bass should also be better, by virtue of the extra length. I like the C5 a lot as a piano studio teaching instrument, though.

P
OP Offline
P
Every C6 I’ve ever played has been more powerful than the C5. The low bass should also be better, by virtue of the extra length. I like the C5 a lot as a piano studio teaching instrument, though.

aside from being more powerful, how would you say the two instruments differ?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It sounds like you still like this specific C6 best of all the pianos you’ve tried. That’s what should matter most. Most of the used C6s I see are in concert hall settings, where they are usually… rather on the bright side.

P
OP Offline
P
It sounds like you still like this specific C6 best of all the pianos you’ve tried. That’s what should matter most. Most of the used C6s I see are in concert hall settings, where they are usually… rather on the bright side.

yeah, it is bright , I like that.
That brings another question, is a C6 too big for a house...

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Proxy
Many of us have pianos this size in our homes and do not find them to be overwhelming. Whether it is ‘too big’ depends on a lot of factors; size of room, openings to other rooms? Soft furnishing?

If this is a concern, I would advise a thick rug pad underneath s rug that covers completely under the piano. Add drapes, upholstered chairs and pillows. There are more treatments that can be done, if needed.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
Proxy
Many of us have pianos this size in our homes and do not find them to be overwhelming. Whether it is ‘too big’ depends on a lot of factors; size of room, openings to other rooms? Soft furnishing?

If this is a concern, I would advise a thick rug pad underneath s rug that covers completely under the piano. Add drapes, upholstered chairs and pillows. There are more treatments that can be done, if needed.

Thank you, I think I should be fine, large opened dining room in large living room, lots of furniture but tile, so a rug would probably be in order.

Thank you !

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission