2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Very nice, all these wishes......will be great when you succeed. I will remember you next December 26th.....as I did for several years.

Good luck and kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 01/02/22 03:59 PM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
R
R
Hi all, and a Happy New year smile

Well, I'm not sure whether I should post anything in this thread, considering that the last time I set goals on here after taking up the piano in 2019, I enjoyed only three months of lessons before my life was upended and I had to stop playing the piano altogether…

And the break lasted for two years! In May, I was finally able to resume learning (yay!) and then three months later… I broke my elbow! crazy

Now, hopefully, I'm back for good laugh

So, I guess my main goal is to still be playing this time next year, enjoying great practices and lessons, without having too many breaks throughout the year (fingers crossed for no breaks of any kind at all, figurative or otherwise!).

I will also carry on brushing up on my music theory knowledge (which I think was my goal last time) so I understand the intricacies of what I'm playing and hearing!

Happy playing, and thanks for keeping this great forum thriving, everybody!

smile

Last edited by RosemaryGirl; 01/02/22 05:18 PM.
O
O
Learn to improvise better.

learn to listen to say a song I like, and by ear work out the chords etc.

[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for making this thread. I enjoy reading everyone’s goals it also gives me ideas and inspiration!

I have one main goal and it’s to play and record a polished version of a piano solo of a modern pop song with heavy sixteenth vocal melody (like most melodies in today’s pop) from a lead sheet. Such as, a tune by Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo.

Last edited by Sebs; 01/03/22 07:40 PM.
S
S
I learned the piano for the entire length of my schooling, so for 12 years.
For the next 13 years I've very rarely played. This was due to moving out of my parents' place and greatly disliking the piano options I could use and afford in an apartment while attending university.

Yesterday I purchased a Kawai CA 79 and today I've put it together and tested it out.

So my goal for the year: Regain (some of) what I lost in over a decade of not playing.
The ability to sight read quite well, technique, some favourites I used to have memorized, etc.

Kawai CA79
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Whatever goals you have... the most important thing is that you have fun when you have the keys under your fingers......
whether you've been playing the piano for a long time, skipped a few years, or you've been playing every day for years.…..I like it, you like it

Have fun, kind regards,
Johan B

(……. have you already checked your goals of the past year.... you can also find it here on ABF....? )

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Happy New Year. It seems everyone was so excited about 2021, as departing from 2020… and here we are at 2022 already.
1. Well my first goal, is to post something on ABF… Looking back at my previous posts I see I didn’t post a single thing in 2021.
2. Resume regular piano practice. 2021 was the first year in the past decade that I did not play or practice regularly. There were scattered moments of inspiration and effort but nothing consistent.
3. Explore more of Bach’s WTC. I’ve worked on various inventions and Sinfonias, and French Suite No. 5, but have never gotten into his preludes and fugues.
4. Play through all of Beethoven’s sonatas. So far I’ve read through 2/1, 2/2 and 2/3.
5. The Bach and Beethoven are linked to my ongoing reading improvement efforts.
6. Learn some songs (lieder, art songs). I made a start on Brahms “wie Melodien zieht es mir„ . It’s fun to play and sing along, sort of like patting your stomach and rubbing the top of your head at the same time. Coordination!
7. Maintain some of the standards I learned while taking jazz lessons.
8. Improvise more, which is not really intuitive when maintaining a deliberate practice schedule.

A
A
My goals are to stick with my current teacher who I am about. I came close to hugging her at my last lesson I felt so moved.
I just started RCM three repertoire and I’m sure I can get to at least five by next summer or fall. I don’t want to take the exams,just work on the repertoire.
And devote as much time as I can to my beloved accordion,an instrument that has frustrated me since day one years ago,but I realized I just need to push back my repertoire and it’s great now. My piano teacher is of the school which says just a bit every day and I’m trying to do that. Working full time and learning two instruments is tough to find the time and energy. But I waste so much of my time otherwise so..

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by alans
My goals are to stick with my current teacher who I am about. I came close to hugging her at my last lesson I felt so moved.
I just started RCM three repertoire and I’m sure I can get to at least five by next summer or fall. I don’t want to take the exams,just work on the repertoire.
And devote as much time as I can to my beloved accordion,an instrument that has frustrated me since day one years ago,but I realized I just need to push back my repertoire and it’s great now. My piano teacher is of the school which says just a bit every day and I’m trying to do that. Working full time and learning two instruments is tough to find the time and energy. But I waste so much of my time otherwise so..

Hi Alans,

Just do what makes you most happy, music is mainly about fun and enjoyment.... way of life...Succes thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

E
E
Goals...hum. I've been taking lessons as a beginner for two years, and have memorized eight pieces, half classical and half popular. In December, I told my teacher I wanted to know (have memorized) a total of 20 pieces by winter 2023 and he suggested I make a list that we could work through. I've re-thought that idea, though, because I don't want to rush through pieces just to be able to check them off, which I think, knowing my personality, I would do. At this stage of my playing, I like having the sequence of pieces progress more organically, with one piece suggesting what the next should be. Plus my teacher is very good at suggesting classical pieces that are challenging but not too hard, except for a current stretch piece. (Prokofiev's "Tarantella"--though I don't know if he realized it was too hard for me when he suggested it.) I guess I could keep a loose list of popular songs I might want to learn, but not feel bound to them or to the numerical goal of 20.

I think, though, that I should be: 1) practicing scales and learning the minor key scales; 2) practicing sight reading (so I don't have to memorize everything!); 3) learning more chords and inversions by heart (critical for popular music); 4) relaxing while I play (need to reread The Art of Practicing); and 5) realizing how lucky I am to have a piano and a piano teacher that I like and the time and mental space (most days) to practice every day. The Art of Practicing, though, suggests that "should" is a word to be careful of when learning an instrument lest it become a chore and spoil the experience.

Emily R.
Massachusetts
2003 Charles Walter upright
2021 Yamaha hybrid
B
B
Heyo smile

This is only the second thread I'll be posting to on PW, so "hi all".
Last year was my first year of piano, and I think it went fairly well - I finished Alfred's AIO volume 1, managed to keep a pretty regular practice routine, and managed to pass my ABRSM grade 1 performance certificate.

This year will follow on from that a little.
1 - I'd like to finish Alfred's AIO 2
2 - I'd like to, ideally, practice for an hour a day, most days
3 - I would like to write the ABRSM theory exams (I'm not sure if I should be writing every grade, or just prepping for 5 - so maybe I'll go, 1, 3, 5 or something like that *shrugs*)
4 - I would like to write a practical exam - if ABRSM in NZ is doing face to face exams, I'd very much like to write the grade 1 jazz piano exam. If that's off the table, I'll do grade 2 performance via video.

As long as I'm improving, I guess I'm happy, and even if not, there's so much beautiful beginner music I can already play. So I guess I'm happy either way.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bsalad
Heyo smile

This is only the second thread I'll be posting to on PW, so "hi all".
Last year was my first year of piano, and I think it went fairly well - I finished Alfred's AIO volume 1, managed to keep a pretty regular practice routine, and managed to pass my ABRSM grade 1 performance certificate.

This year will follow on from that a little.
1 - I'd like to finish Alfred's AIO 2
2 - I'd like to, ideally, practice for an hour a day, most days
3 - I would like to write the ABRSM theory exams (I'm not sure if I should be writing every grade, or just prepping for 5 - so maybe I'll go, 1, 3, 5 or something like that *shrugs*)
4 - I would like to write a practical exam - if ABRSM in NZ is doing face to face exams, I'd very much like to write the grade 1 jazz piano exam. If that's off the table, I'll do grade 2 performance via video.

As long as I'm improving, I guess I'm happy, and even if not, there's so much beautiful beginner music I can already play. So I guess I'm happy either way.

Heyo Bsalad,

Welcome to the ABF of pianoworld. Nice that you are so enthusiastic, playing the piano is indeed fun and enjoyment.......

Kind regards and succes to your goals…..
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

L
L
My piano goals for 2022 are:

No skipping piano lessons (only in case of emergencies or sickness)
Finish Alfred’s Adult 2 (I’ll start this book in next week’s lesson)
Practice every day for at least 1 hour and two hourly sessions on my off workdays

A
A
My piano goals for 2022:

Major:
To carry on playing the piano as well as lessons and to not stop the hobby that I have kept the longest so far

To play more fluently and actively engage in the process of learning

Minor:
To play more grade 4/5 pieces

To achieve grade 6 proficiency

Last edited by Ay9293; 01/12/22 05:57 AM.
M
M
It's very interesting to read people's goals, with plenty of fruit for thought. Thank you for setting up this thread Johan.

I aim to continue to progress. My end-of-year goal is to feel confident that I could sail through ABRSM 7 / RCM 8 with distinctions. I like to think that I could get through as it is, so this is about perfecting and securing. I want Henle 5 pieces to be easy (currently Henle 4 are, whereas 5 take practice).

I’m setting quite a dictatorial plan, but I want to improve my playing significantly, to make up for my lack of practice when I was young, and especially as it would give me intense pleasure. Also, I do better with a clear direction to follow.

I shall practice regularly - every day I am at home. Practice will include daily sight-reading, working through books I have found on IMSLP. I would like to learn to sight-sing, so must remember to practice that too…

I want to learn a broad selection of pieces of different styles and period. I found the 40 pieces challenge very helpful last year, and will aim for the same again. Around 8 of these pieces should belong to the RCM/ABRSM lists, at least 10 must be baroque or early classical, and I shall include some easier etudes where I will focus on precision.

I would also like to improve my general musicianship, playing by ear, picking out a tune and working on its accompaniment at least twice a week. Last year I barely worked on scales etc so this year I aim to work on a key per week, using the ABRSM / RCM syllabi as guidelines. Finally, I would like to consolidate / increase the knowledge of theory I started to acquire last year.

Above all, I want to enjoy myself. And perhaps, one day, be able to give pleasure to others...

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Fine goals you all set…….wish you good luck…

I’ll be back at December 26th….. grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My strong suspicion is that except for those desiring professional careers, taking exams, or entering competitions, the only "goals" most pianists are the very general ones of improvement and enjoyment.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My strong suspicion is that except for those desiring professional careers, taking exams, or entering competitions, the only "goals" most pianists are the very general ones of improvement and enjoyment.

virgin lol

My gods are: Cortot, Horowitz, and Sofronitsky,

Started piano during COVID, hopefully I can play Rachmaninoff, Rubinstein, and Scriabin compositions one day...
Originally Posted by pablobear

virgin lol
???

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pablobear

virgin lol
???

Certainly a cryptic message. Perhaps a younger sibling made an unauthorized post using his computer
wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission