2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3182387 01/04/22 06:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
If so what do you play? I play mostly Scott Joplin, Joseph Lamb. Rags are such fun to play and a good break away from classical music for a change!

What do you play and what books/collections do you have?

Currently working on:
Chopin Military Polonaise
Beethoven Sonata No.6 in F Major
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Whiz bang comes to mind as a dedicated ragtime player. You also might want to post this question in the ABF forum

C
CWT Offline
C
Some of what I play has been called ragtime. I have not learned Maple Leaf Rag. I like to listen to ragtime. I am not familiar with Whiz Bang.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I still play a few dozen ragtime pieces, Joplin, James Scott, David Thomas Roberts and Frank French, and I wrote quite a bit of it myself years ago. It has a perennial charm for me which has not waned over time. More fine ragtime has been written over the past couple of decades than in the whole of its history. People such as David Thomas Roberts, Frank French, Scott Kirby, Hal Isbitz, Reginald Robinson and Brian Keenan are among its best exponents. The Smithsonian edition of James Scott is worth having if it is still in print. Scores of most of the recent ones are usually available from the composers themselves but if all else fails AnthemScore seems to do a brilliant job of transcribing ragtime recordings in particular, I don't know exactly why.

Last edited by Ted; 01/04/22 11:29 PM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by CWT
Some of what I play has been called ragtime. I have not learned Maple Leaf Rag. I like to listen to ragtime. I am not familiar with Whiz Bang.

WhizBang is a forum member who has extensively played ragtime

I like stride piano a lot but I generally find ragtime boring by comparison.

J
J
I like ragtime and stride both. Good Music. How is WhizBang listed on youtube?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by scottgreen94
If so what do you play? I play mostly Scott Joplin, Joseph Lamb. Rags are such fun to play and a good break away from classical music for a change!

What do you play and what books/collections do you have?

I mostly play Joplin and some Lamb. I lost most of my printed books due to some bad storage, but I still have a very worse for the wear copy of "Scott Joplin Complete Piano Works" that has a home on my piano.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
J
Ragtime is nice but Stride rules

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Just listening I would call that HonkTonk piano and very similar in sound to Ragtime that would have been prevalent around that same time, wasn't it?

Joplin type rags became their own unique genre, but the same cannot be said for stride which is more of a general piano style that has been used in everything from Chopin to contemporary music and including Rags, but in very different treatments.

I guess you can still compare them, but seems to me like they should be in completely different categories.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi

The great Dick Hyman describes the differences between Ragtime and Stride Piano in the very show that clip is taken from. The main difference being that the jump between the bass note(s) and chords is much bigger than in Ragtime.

My understanding (from listening to Dick Hyman) is that Stride Piano developed out of Ragtime. Generally Stride Piano is more technically demanding and became a showpiece for many Jazz Pianists like Fats Waller and Count Basie.

Stride Piano has become more of a general style these days, but I think that's mostly because the definition of the style has become murky, and people think (and say) they are playing in a stride style when actually they aren't.

Let's face it you can play virtually anything in any style if you have the skill. Monty Alexander used to play a fabulous swinging version of The Entertainer, which incorporated Swing, Stride and Ragtime.

And to answer the OP's question, I'm another Ragtime player, though not at much at the moment.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

C
CWT Offline
C
"Let's face it you can play virtually anything in any style if you have the skill. Monty Alexander used to play a fabulous swinging version of The Entertainer, which incorporated Swing, Stride and Ragtime."

I would like to hear that.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi CWT

Enjoy!

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

K
K
John Arpin inspired me to learn the Bohemia rag. Bohemia rag is already quite nice out of the box, but to make it as beautiful as this and "not boring"you have to have the skills to play like Arpin. It is still my ambition to try it at least (afraid I dont have the skills), with all the extra notes, octave repetitions and doublings and whatever else he was doing. He died in 2007, so this must be one of his last performances.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Me being a lifetime ragtime addict and adorer of Scott Joplin's work.

I've been starting with the piano being 16 yrs, classically w.o. ragtime... Then I had lessons at same classical teacher who had taught me violine. When I first caught a sight at a simplifiied version of the "Maple Leaf Rag" - and tried it... , this did not please my teacher, and soon lessons stopped, but not me stopped playing Scott Joplin...

It lasted until I was 56 (and had got my grand...) that I first learned a ragtime by another composer, "Saint Louis Rag" by Tom turpin.

I own several sets of Scott Joplin "Whole Works", and a sampling book compiled by David Jasen with "100 Authentic Rags", a compilation of Joseph Lamb's rags and a "women Ragtime Composers" book also.

And now I try to stroll on another ragtime which I've heard playing by a funny "human robot" at the Hanover fair "who" played for an italian company of electronic control devices, and nobody of the fair personnell was able to tell me WHICH ragtime it was. It had been programmed in Italy by a freelancer who no longer was available, tested in Italy, and no note sheets availabe...

I have a video of this and I would like to know by a ragtime liker which ragtime it is...
But to see the video, it needs a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/bernd.beckschwarte/videos/1581346878581731

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi

I tried the FB link, but after logging in it won't allow me to see the content.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

K
K
I love Joplin's stuff. I've played Entertainer, Maple Leaf, Solace, currently working on Gladiolus. Looking to branch out into other composers. Think I'll order a Joseph Lamb book today.

Almost not insane some of the time.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission