2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, BlackKnight, BravoRomeo, bwv872, 36251, Boboulus, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 808 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by VeritasNL
Originally Posted by Carey
Has the U1 been refurbished - or is it in original condition?

Refurbished
OK - then I wouldn't be as concerned about the Yamaha's age. So I guess the bottom line is.....if the action of the piano is your primary concern, go with the Yamaha, but if the tone is more important, go with the Petrof. If neither piano is fully satisfactory, continue shopping. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The Yamaha and Petrof are both (assuming satisfactory condition) good pianos but they are very different to each other so, really, it should be possible to have a distinct preference between them.

Which piano inspires you to play it, which one do you really want? That is the one that is the best value for you -it isn't a question of which one, if either, might be a bargain a few hundred dollars above or below some nominal market value.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by VeritasNL
Hey guys, thanks for all your responses.

They reason the Petrov is an 'urgent' buy (or not) is because it's a private sale, and the owner has 2 other offers (of which one piano store). I've played the piano, and it sounds good and seemed brand new from the inside. That being said, I'm not an expert on these matters. That's why I wondered whether anyone could say something about the value of these piano's.

Let another buyer get the Petrof then. You’ll find something else good enough for your money

YAMAHA Artist
V
OP Offline
V
Hey guys,

Quick update on this:
So I filled in the serial number of the Petrof (587 897), and according to the Petrof website it's a P 115 II C Demichipp from 2002-2003. I'm honestly a little surprised, because it was advertised as a 2007 P118. Anyone know what could be the deal here? I would swear I saw P118 on the inside, but I didn't take photos

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Re the discrepancy with serial numbers and ages.... it could be an honest mistake on the seller's part, or some other mistake... Or there's something off in the info online??

Ask the seller directly, not in an accusatory way just more like "I saw this info online and I wanted to double check about your piano..."

Separate from that... If the other possible Petrof buyer is a dealer, they can wait.

Back to your original question: I do not envy you! I owned a Petrof upright for a while and it was a really nice piano, with a tone unlike the other uprights I've owned.

Which, as it happens, includes a Yamaha U1. My Yamaha U1 was an amazing piano, the action was perfect, and over the 9 years that I owned it, its sound got better and better (I sold it because we moved internationally, and they wouldn't let me include the piano in my carry-on luggage allowance).

I also loved my Petrof. But my Yamaha was by far a better piano in every way. If I were given the choice of one or the other, I would choose my Yamaha every time.

Having said that, my Petrof was made around 1990, so a good bit older than the one you're considering. Oh and it was a 115.

Back to the Yamaha.... it is older, but both pianos are used so there's not a clear answer here....

If I were you, I would not purchase either piano without having them evaluated by a piano tech under your employ. It would be ideal if you could have the same tech evaluate both pianos, but the Petrof seller may not wait for that?

Hmm, I may not be helping you with this post so I'll stop here... whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Hmm, I may not be helping you with this post so I'll stop here... whome

You are always helpful in your posts, Dr. ShiroKuro! smile

I too owned a Pertof P115 (46" studio) upright for a while. It was beautiful piano, inside and out, and had a lovely, mellow tone. The action was a full Renner action, since it was an early 2000s model. However, as much as I liked the piano, the mellow tone was a bit too mellow for my oldies rock-n-roll/boggie and blues taste in piano music, so I sold it. The lady who bought it for her daughter, who was starting piano lessons, was thrilled with it.

On the Yamaha U1, I've never owned one, but have played several and it was a delight to play, all of them.

So, this is actually a pretty tough decision for VeritasNL. I say buy the piano you like the best, if you can differentiate between the two (like one better than the other). As for the longevity of either, we can only enjoy them one day at a time.

I also agree it is a good idea to have either piano inspected by a qualified piano tech before purchase.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,517
Members105,374
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission