2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (Andrew E., accordeur, computerpro3, Adem, Baltguy, brdwyguy, 16 invisible), 687 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Bruce
Feduk revived a year old thread to post a spammy link— that says it al, doesn’t it?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Sometimes it's nice having year-old threads revived, when I missed them first time round. The question is as relevant now as it was then.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Feduk
Social Media influences all young people. Many people think that it’s a negative influence, but I disagree with that since there are a lot of social media sources that are really valuable.

Examples?

TikTok is probably the most influential today since people of all ages use it. You can find everything on it, and I think that it is amazing.

Everything? Examples?

I started my TikTok channel, and at first, I struggled a lot. I was able to gain only 68 followers, and I had to increase the number. I was able to find a website XXX deleted link where I was able to get free TikTok followers and likes. It’s really helped me out, and my channel started to grow.

It reads as though your primary aim was to garner more followers. How has that and the "growth" of your channel helped?

As you can probably guess, I don't subscribe to any social media. I avoid them intentionally.

Regards,

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Since this thread got revived by a spammer and I didn't see it before:

Originally Posted by adoser
Since I grew up in a rural town far away from any classical music scene, my piano education came entirely through YouTube. I assume this is true of most people of my generation. My appreciation of Sokolov and Hamelin probably wouldn't have happened without their YouTube followings. I don't think I know anything about what goes on in social media circles with regards to classical music.

I'm a lot older. In my teen years start at 12, my parents moved to a rural area and there was nothing. My piano education consisted of two handed down books and a never-tuned piano. The sound of honky tonk makes me nostalgic. smile I have been catching up like mad due to the Internet, and the wealth of good information is phenomenal. So I'm with you. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
But I believe that for many (most?) people, social media is where they get most of their information of the world, including the musical world.

No! I am on social media to connect with my friends and family, and it truly enriches my social life. Only very few of my friends and family live within visiting distance.
Information of the world I get mainly through watching and listening to the news, and reading newspapers. Wikipedia if I want to learn more about something.

On social media, you can get just titbits; occasionally a bit more.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I may be wrong, but I think that Feduk, the person who revived this old thread, is one of those clever bots, and not a real person. All for the purpose of getting someone to click on the link in "his" post...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I may be wrong, but I think that Feduk, the person who revived this old thread, is one of those clever bots, and not a real person. All for the purpose of getting someone to click on the link in "his" post...

You may be quite right Sam! But do bots edit? Or is editing part of their smartness?

But now that it got a revival, why not discuss the question. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
B
OP Offline
B
I'd completely forgotten about this thread........well, thirteen months is a long time in unsocial media, and anyway, I'm in good company (- Beethoven forgot he ever composed WoO 80, and said it was composed by an idiot), so I'll spare myself a proper memory test, and attribute my memory lapse to my young age (still on the right side of 100 until December 25th).

But I digress - two items on the news today (on TV of course, not social media) caught my attention: the rise in 'cancel culture' (oddly, the BBC - or its editors - misspelled it as 'cancer culture', which is probably even more appropriate) fanned entirely by social media, which threatens stand-up comedy; and the crazy amounts a certain celebrated footballer (i.e. soccer player) earns with each Instagram post he makes: £1.2 million or USD 1,500,000. Yes, you read that right. Apparently, all he has to do is mention in passing a perfume or brand of toothpaste he uses, and he'll get paid an amount most of us will never earn in a lifetime. Obviously, he has zillions of adoring, uncritical (other adjectives are available) fans around the world who hang on his every word. So, he could even say that he plays Minuet in B# major (even if he can't actually play Twinkle Twinkle in C major with one finger) by the great composer Bacbeetzart on his Steinyamafaz baby grand (other brands are available), and he'll make Bacbeetzart world-famous, and sell out Steinyamafaz pianos around the world.

On the other hand, perhaps classical music is immune to all this silliness, and no wannabe non-virtuoso can be a YT/Tik Tok Chok/Instagram sensation unless he/she is actually a.......virtuoso??

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
K
K
An electron microscope could not find it.

Everyone is influenced by social media to a certain degree, whether we like it or not, because new emerging trends tend to spread like wildfire and migrate to all social networks. Even those who pride themselves on not having an account on Facebook or TicTok will eventually see the content from these platforms on Reddit, for example. Nowadays, everyone can create hype and become the next sensation - all you have to do is amass enough followers and likes, and there are even sites that offer them for free - check this out. Given that the advertising market is based on the current trends from social media, and you can't escape advertising - it's next to impossible not to be influenced by social media.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In short, not at all. I see so much crud posted on Facebook I take everything with a pinch of salt now. But I hate how social media has influenced people away from forums like this. Can we go back to pre-facebook dats please?
I get more useful information from Instagram now because I can tailor the feed to coincide with my interests. And there are quite a few influential young musicians on there. Some quite amazing people.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Many people including myself would spend time on social media. Besides reading the news from mainstream sources, avoid getting into politics. There is a lot of news and also a lot of "fake" news. I'd go to the links for music performances & playing tutorials posted by teachers & other musicians. It's a good place for learning anything from how to use foot pedals, metronome to playing chords.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Try as we might to avoid it, it is a subliminal seduction and very difficult to avoid unless totally out of touch. We don't love Kellogg's Frosted Flakes because it is absolutely the best tasting or healthiest breakfast cereal, we love it because they had the best advertising campaign when we were growing up and Tony the Tiger says they're Great! We were brain-washed.

There is the good, the bad and the ugly in terms of influence social media and advertising can have on us. But, to say we are not influenced at all by it, is doubtful. This forum is also a form of social media and group think tanks have the potential of not always being the most positive influence for us as well as they don't always offer a balanced perspective, if the group all begins to think alike. Steve Jobs warned about this in one of his talks I recall.

Knowing how gullible we actually are though, is good to know and can help us to avoid at least the most ugly parts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No I liked Kellogs Frosties before they were nice. No brainwashing was involved.Cheap ones aren't the same.

Last edited by LarryShone; 01/14/22 08:06 PM.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
*because not before...

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,179
Posts3,193,602
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission