2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Beemer, BlizzardPiano, Bill McClellan, alexii, AaronSF, anotherscott, 36251, Adem, 16 invisible), 989 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by dogperson
WeightedKeys is a self-teaching beginner; started about a month ago

Thank you - that's important to know. We might not even be at a Bach level yet. Other advice coming in might be how to practice (any piece) in order to gain that hand independence in the first place. The whole question of "how to practise". wink

IMO: Sidokar provided a great response:

In the beginning, i would stay away from complex pieces. The simplest is to practice HI with various scale exercices, for example legato one hand and staccato in the other. Or 2 to 1 rythm, in staccato, or one hand playing arpeggio and the other a scale. And any classical piece can teach you some form of HI, but i find that classical period music is particularly helpful, Diabelli, Dussek, Kulhau, Cimarosa, Clementi, .....

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment

Thank you - that's important to know. We might not even be at a Bach level yet. Other advice coming in might be how to practice (any piece) in order to gain that hand independence in the first place. The whole question of "how to practise". wink

IMO: Sidokar provided a great response:

In the beginning, i would stay away from complex pieces. The simplest is to practice HI with various scale exercices, for example legato one hand and staccato in the other. Or 2 to 1 rythm, in staccato, or one hand playing arpeggio and the other a scale. And any classical piece can teach you some form of HI, but i find that classical period music is particularly helpful, Diabelli, Dussek, Kulhau, Cimarosa, Clementi, .....

This actually sounds too complicated for someone a few weeks in. "legato one hand, staccato the other" for example - or even scales. Clementi, one month in? On the "how" I was thinking, for example, of working in stages, working in chunks, rather than a whole piece. Is there a method book for beginners involved, that could introduce things bit by bit? Otoh, we have not heard back from the OP.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
This actually sounds too complicated for someone a few weeks in.
Agree. A few weeks in is too early to mess with hands independence. At this stage a student must be fully concerned with the touch and the tone.

weightedKey, please, ignore my first response, I was thinking of another person when answering to you.
I think you're hurrying too much. Please, watch this video first if you haven't done it already.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I repeat my suggestion. smile

[Linked Image]

On this site you can download a sample. Page 2, Trumpet tune by Türk. I still remember how intrigued I was by trying to play staccato and legato with one hand, and non-legato with the other hand. But maybe still a bit too difficult after only one month.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
If I may suggest something, come up with simple "puzzles" on your own and see how complex you can make them. For example, one I just thought of at this moment was to play CEGCEGCEG... with one hand, and CEGCCEGCCEGC... with the other hand, simultaneously. Come up with any number of small coordination challenges for yourself and try them out.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Agree. A few weeks in is too early to mess with hands independence.
Hand independence training - without connection to the instrument - begins immediately after birth, and children do specific exercises in kindergarten. The rhythm of spoken language during rhythmic walking is an example of two autonomous processes that are learned instinctively.
African musicians study polyrhythmic performance through visual perception.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
If this were asked in a general forum or at least a non piano forum I would say what would help you the most would be taking up piano. So I agree with Ido ...

Originally Posted by Ido
Frankly, any piano piece you'll play will require some form of hand independence and it will develop over time. No specific exercises are needed.

Every piece we play presents a new challenge of H I. Practice and development of this skill is built into learning the piano and doesn't really require any extra focus.

Rubbing your belly while patting your head is a good one to master though.

Last edited by Greener; 01/15/22 10:32 AM.
M
M
Bach as many have said but also Bartok. Micro Cosmos have a lot to teach on hand independence and is a whole series starting from the very easy on to the most difficult. The first books are suitable for any level beginner.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

Ahhh -- forget my Bach suggestions, then!

Better to just start with Alfred's method books. It's too early to worry about "hand independence" -- before you tackle that, you need hands that will do what the brain tells them to do, quickly and reliably.

Sorry for putting up a misleading idea.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Better to just start with Alfred's method books. It's too early to worry about "hand independence" -- before you tackle that, you need hands that will do what the brain tells them to do, quickly and reliably.
That sounds spot on. smile

E
E
I'm also a newbie here and the whole hand-to-brain coordination is something I'm finding very difficult. I feel like my brain catches tune very quickly but my hands are kinda stiff. I'm hoping as time progresses, my fingers will eventually become more flexible.
Side note: Should I practice Bach to fix my HI? Is it working for you?

Online Content
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
That sounds spot on. smile
Exactly. Any good series of method books will gradually introduce hand independence(which BTW no one on this thread has yet defined).

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Definition from an internet piano site

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of hand independence, it can be described as: playing piano, using both hands in a manner seemingly independent of each other.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

Online Content

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of hand independence, it can be described as: playing piano, using both hands in a manner seemingly independent of each other.
The problem with that definition is the phrase "n a manner seemingly independent of each other" which I think is so vague as to be meaningless.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

The problem with that definition is the phrase "n a manner seemingly independent of each other" which I think is so vague as to be meaningless.

Perhaps you can look on the internet and find s definition that you find meaningful

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
There seem to be two types of hand independence. The first is motional independence, when the hands do different kinds of motions, e.g. staccato/legato. The second may probably be called melodical independence, when each hand plays its own melody. The types may obviously be mixed.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
There seem to be two types of hand independence. The first is motional independence, when the hands do different kinds of motions, e.g. staccato/legato. The second may probably be called melodical independence, when each hand plays its own melody. The types may obviously be mixed.
Those are two kinds but I think there are many more kinds. The first one is quite rare. The second kind you mention depends on the definition of "melody".

B
B
There are degrees of hand independence, ranging from playing the tune Twinkle Twinkle in RH in C major with a straight C major chords (C-E-G) in LH simultaneously with every note in RH (which teaches nobody nothin' and sounds wrong), to Clementi's Op.36/1 with RH mostly playing melody and LH playing simple accompaniment and Alberti bass, to Bach 2-Part Inventions, then 3-Part Inventions........all the way to complete dissociation between RH & LH, with each hand playing in a different rhythm as well as in a different key.

The way to develop proper, 'sustainable', progressive hand independence is the way it has been taught for centuries by all good teachers - little by little, small step by small step. Not one small step for a man, one giant leap for, er, tomorrow.

Therefore, follow these steps:
1) Play a single-line simple melody which passes back and forth from one hand to the other. No other notes. The brain gets used to using both hands equally, in a melodic rôle, and realizes that the two hands can co-operate symbiotically towards a common good, just like dogs & cats (- one sniffs out the danger, e.g. a rat, the other pounces & attacks it tooth & claw). For instance, play Happy Birthday by ear in C major, with both hands in 5-finger position, LH on E-F-G-A-B and adjacent RH on C-D-E-F-G. Use only the fingers that are actually on the correct keys to play the tune (i.e. LH starts the ball rolling with 3).
If the student can't do that (by ear or from a written-down score) without stuttering and stumbling, he'll need to keep practicing to master this first step before going on to anything more complicated, because this is a sine qua non towards eventual complete hand independence mastery (e.g. playing Happy Birthday in LH and The Star-Spangled Banner in RH simultaneously, each hand playing at a different tempo whistle ) in about twenty years' time.

There are lots of tunes with which to practice this, e.g. Silent Night (again in C major), with LH on C-D-E-F-G and RH on A-B-C-D-E. (Note that the RH pinky has to play one note (F) away from its position.) No amount of practice is too much to master this basic step.

2) Next step: again play a simple tune that passes back & forth from one hand to the other, but this time with a very accompaniment (single notes only) in the hand not playing the tune, all the way through. Again, no amount of practice is too much to master this basic step.

3) Now you are ready to play very simple classical pieces like this:

4) Onwards and upwards, little by little, small step by small step....... thumb

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,250
Posts3,194,691
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission