2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (anotherscott, ChickenBrother, Christian S, brdwyguy, 36251, accordeur, BlackKnight, BravoRomeo, 11 invisible), 868 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
deba123 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Dear All,

What is the construction material (Wood, Plywood, MDF etc) of the following Yamaha Pianos.

1. JU109
2. JX113
3. U1J
4. U1

Thanks.

DM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
This question would be better asked in an email to Yamaha. There isn’t one single construction material in a piano.

YAMAHA Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What part of the piano are you asking about?
Different woods are used in all parts of the piano, depending on their function and purpose.
My primary concern is the performance level of the finished piano, and then its durability. You aren’t going to know that from a list of specifications.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
What part of the piano are you asking about?

Based on the question itself and the choices given, I assume that deba123 is asking about the cabinet.

Hi deba123! Welcome to PW. The cabinetry is a combination of materials. Solid hardwood and laminates are both used in the highest quality pianos. This is because there are parts of every piano that are under stress. These parts are better made out of laminated hardwoods rather than solid hardwoods. I should add that every cabinet is also veneered.

Most upper end Yamaha upright pianos use laminates in the cabinet. I think Joseph hit the nail on the head. Email Yamaha for the most accurate information. Some models you mention are not distributed in the USA. I have never sen them.

I hope that helps.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
D
deba123 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Rich you got it right I was asking about the cabinet material. Yes these models are all Asian models. I have asked YAMAHA but got no answer from them or their distributor. So it remains a secret.

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/upright_pianos/ju_jx_series/index.html
https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/upright_pianos/u_series/index.html

DM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by deba123
Thanks Rich you got it right I was asking about the cabinet material. Yes these models are all Asian models. I have asked YAMAHA but got no answer from them or their distributor. So it remains a secret.

https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/upright_pianos/ju_jx_series/index.html
https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/upright_pianos/u_series/index.html

I suspect that it isn't a secret but just not a specification that Yamaha have published. It is probably just too hard a question to answer definitively, especially as a variety of materials may be used and there isn't any reason to believe they will necessarily be kept constant for a models lifetime.

Originally Posted by deba123

The fact that you did not receive a reply from Yamaha doesn't surprise me at all. I was thinking that you would not likely receive a reply from them, but you confirmed it. I have tried to contact a couple of piano manufactures in the past, with the same results, no response. I actually called Young Chang once, got a voice mail and left a message, which they never returned; I kept trying and finally got a live person, and was told to contact the dealer.

These companies are so big that one potential customer asking a question about their products is not at all important to them. Not that these companies are too big to fail, but they are usually to big to take the time to respond to a single individual. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Now, on the other hand, if a dealer, like Rich, were to contact them on your behalf, that would be an entirely different scenario. To Yamaha, Rich is somebody of importance to them, whereas a single individual with certain questions regarding their products is not...

I hope you can get the answers to your questions.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rickster
Now, on the other hand, if a dealer, like Rich, were to contact them on your behalf, that would be an entirely different scenario. To Yamaha, Rich is somebody of importance to them, whereas a single individual with certain questions regarding their products is not...

This may very well be true. But if so it is a sorry state of affairs.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
IMO, the question would need to be posed either more specifically, e.g. what is the material used to make the key bed on a current production Yamaha U1J?

I'm familiar with many Yamaha models but not all of them, nor would my information always be current. In general terms, structural components tend to be made of laminate wood while non-structural components (like lids, top & bottom front panels) tend to be made from MDF.

The reps that should be able to find an answer a specific question will otherwise be limited in a general discussion because the answer is "subject to change" and may very depending on the cabinet style or some other barrier to a simple and straight forward answer. Only a production manager would likely be qualified to speak about all of that, and they aren't usually in customer service.

I did recently learn of a popular upright from another brand that uses some MDF even on the sides of the piano which surprised me. I guess I'm learning to be less surprised.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
These companies are so big that one potential customer asking a question about their products is not at all important to them. Not that these companies are too big to fail, but they are usually to big to take the time to respond to a single individual. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Rick, I think you are probably right about this. I’m going to veer a bit OT, but I love your anecdotes and thought I’d share one of mine.

I’m a knitter, and before I knew about Estonian pianos, I had gotten into traditional Estonian knitting. One of the Estonian knitting traditions is Haapsalu lace, and I’ve made several shawls that are based on Haapsalu lace patterns. When I got the piano, I decided to keep one of the shawls over the piano lid, and I sent a photo of my piano, with the Haapsalu shawl, to the ESTONIA piano factory’s email address. I got a lovely reply from the director of sales, who is also a knitter. We had a nice email exchange about knitting and pianos, and she told me that it was the first time they had seen Haapsalu lace on an ESTONIA piano. She told me the photos circulated through the piano factory, and apparently everyone really enjoyed them.

I can’t imagine that if I had purchased a Yamaha and had put a traditional Japanese textile on the piano, any one at the Yamaha factory would have known (or cared). Which is entirely understandable. But it does speak to the difference between a massive corporation and a small-ish business. I definitely appreciated the response from Tallinn, and I’d love to visit their factory in person some day.

Originally Posted by Sgisela

Rick, I think you are probably right about this. I’m going to veer a bit OT, but I love your anecdotes and thought I’d share one of mine.

I’m a knitter, and before I knew about Estonian pianos, I had gotten into traditional Estonian knitting. One of the Estonian knitting traditions is Haapsalu lace, and I’ve made several shawls that are based on Haapsalu lace patterns. When I got the piano, I decided to keep one of the shawls over the piano lid, and I sent a photo of my piano, with the Haapsalu shawl, to the ESTONIA piano factory’s email address. I got a lovely reply from the director of sales, who is also a knitter. We had a nice email exchange about knitting and pianos, and she told me that it was the first time they had seen Haapsalu lace on an ESTONIA piano. She told me the photos circulated through the piano factory, and apparently everyone really enjoyed them.

I can’t imagine that if I had purchased a Yamaha and had put a traditional Japanese textile on the piano, any one at the Yamaha factory would have known (or cared). Which is entirely understandable. But it does speak to the difference between a massive corporation and a small-ish business. I definitely appreciated the response from Tallinn, and I’d love to visit their factory in person some day.

An interesting story, indeed, Sgisela! And, quite a contrast regarding the two piano makers, in terms of responding to customer/potential customer emails/inquiries. Of course, you are right in that Estonia is a much smaller piano maker, and more apt to respond to emails from current customers or potential customers.

In all honesty, I'm a huge fan of Yamaha pianos, and meant no harm or animosity toward the company. But when the OP, deba123, said they tried to contact Yamaha and never received a response, it prompted me to write the comments I wrote. And, as I mentioned, I've had similar experiences.

Also, FWIW, even if deba123's questions about the construction materials of the Yamaha models mentioned was somewhat vague or broad, or a difficult question to answer, someone from the company could still have responded and said they didn't have the info, but would try to find the info and get back to them; any reply/response would have been better than no reply/response.

Again, this may be common with most all large companies/corporations, to not respond to costumer service inquiries, I'm not sure.

I will say, however, that I think Rich Galassini and Sam Bennett did kind of touch on the answers to deba123's questions regarding the construction materials of those particular Yamaha piano models, or similar models; so, all is not lost... Thanks Rich and Sam! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Actually, some of the cabinet parts are plastic, and hollow when tapped. Styrofoam has also been used on keybeds

D
deba123 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
Actually, some of the cabinet parts are plastic, and hollow when tapped. Styrofoam has also been used on keybeds
Are you sure about plastic and styrofoam ?? Yamaha using them?

DM

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,520
Members105,374
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission