2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3183717 01/09/22 02:24 PM
U
OP Offline
U
Why can't I find a side by side comparison? I've heard Kawai is the future of pianos. Now in all seriousness, I suspect the NV5S is better than the NU-1X, somehow.

There appears to be issues with the NU-1X firmware affecting the actual playing experience, this makes me real wary. The NV5s also comes with an actual screen, unlike the Yamaha.

Any owners?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The NV5 is about 40% better and cost about 50% more.

Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by Usheraname
Why can't I find a side by side comparison? I've heard Kawai is the future of pianos. Now in all seriousness, I suspect the NV5S is better than the NU-1X, somehow.

There appears to be issues with the NU-1X firmware affecting the actual playing experience, this makes me real wary. The NV5s also comes with an actual screen, unlike the Yamaha.

Any owners?
so when you can’t find a side by side comparison; compare it yourself!

I did it. And it is not as simple as the first reaction says.

Yamaha NU1X PE digipi. CLP-725 WH as a 2nd one @mylove. Dead Roland D5 synth.
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ
The NV5 is about 40% better and cost about 50% more.
-.-

Hahah alright, What is better about it?

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by deafital

Any owners?

Give me those juicy details from your experience! I can't test them side by side yet.

U
OP Offline
U
ABORT MISSION apparently the YAMAHA has a severe issue going on.

Sigh

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Disregarding the loud note problem that I experienced when testing the NU1x, the action in the NV5 is the same Millennium 3 action as in a K200. The action in the NU1x is the same as Yamaha's smaller/cheaper upright. The NV5 has a soundboard, a more realistic damper mechanism, and is the best looking hybrid on the market. However, in my opinion, the NU1 sounds better through headphones due to the binaural samples.

Kawai NV10
J
J
There's no severe issue. If you're talking about the loud note issue, that's completely overblown. I've had the NU1X for about six months and I've run into the loud note issue only once. I'm not sure how it was like before the firmware fix, but it's definitely not a major issue since they updated the firmware.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by jon123
There's no severe issue. If you're talking about the loud note issue, that's completely overblown. I've had the NU1X for about six months and I've run into the loud note issue only once. I'm not sure how it was like before the firmware fix, but it's definitely not a major issue since they updated the firmware.
What do you usually play, though? I'm a formal student.

Any owners?

Give me those juicy details from your experience! I can't test them side by side yet.
Only 1 juicy detail
At the first comparison I did know immediately that for me the NU1X did win it, in sound and above al in action. Afterwards I did read the online comparisons over and over and started to doubt, so I went for a second time to the shop. The look of the seller ;-) This time I needed much longer, but in the end the NU1X did win again, although with a much smaller marge than before.

So now I’m not as negative towards the NV5s as before. I did try also very short the N1X and the NV10S. This one was for the NV10S. So you cannot say I’m against KAWAI. Well, I do like the name YAMAHA much more, it makes me smile HAHA, instead of cry AIAI

For a starter, the NV5s cannot sound and feel like the NU1X and the NU1X of course cannot sound like the NV5S. If, in my case the NU1X feels (and sounds) exactly like I want, there is no discussion, otherwise, the NV5S has much more to offer.

Disclaimer
I do like the action of an upright over a grand. Playing on a grand piano always feels a bit like turning a screw into a cotton ball for me. Maybe it has something to do with my past of playing the tough touch of pipe organs. What sound is concerned there is also a big difference. In a way you could say the sound of the NU1X is somewhat outdated* but that itself is not only a disadvantage because a lot of music is ‘outdated’ too. ;-)

So you have to compare yourself, or if a music school is involved: organise an excursion.

*With online comparisons you have to filter the records with mic I think

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by deafital; 01/10/22 08:33 AM. Reason: Video is of NU1 without the X

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not really comparable, as the environment, recording technique, and pieces performed are completely different...

However, here's a video from user "Ruminative Rat" (post link)

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Not really comparable, you say, but still you had to show (off) the NV5S!

Now, the Kapustin piece uses plenty of ‘same-note’ repetitions and the NV5S handles them very well; granted, the pianist has a little something to do with this, but yes, impressive; and considering that the NV10S’ perceived advantage over the NV5S is this so-called repetition-rate, it really makes me wonder how much of an advantage there really exists in real-life applications; other than subjective perspectives, “grand action is inherently better” because, you know, gravity!

Congrats to the two pianists featuring the NU1X and NV5S, and yes, as James says, the pieces ‘place completely different demands’, but one thing we can all agree on is that these are “real” instruments and not “lifeless digital toys!”

I don’t believe anyone can go ‘wrong’ with either/or, but it ultimately will come down to personal preferences, and, in reality, both instruments are phenomenal!

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Not really comparable, as the environment, recording technique, and pieces performed are completely different...

However, here's a video from user "Ruminative Rat"
The comparability is also not that small. Thank you! This is too fast for me to be called musical. It also leads me to my suspicion that among people who value speed above average, the NV5S will score higher.

BTW
It also seems to me that the tones of the NU1X are more tightly defined (in a smaller frequency range) than the tones of the NV5S. (Graphically the tip of a ballpoint pen versus a pyramid) That also depends on the chosen piano, in this case I compare both first pianos. The second of the NV5S (not the SK) I find much more comparable to the first of the NU1X

E
E

Any owners?

To emphasize what has been discussed in this and other forum threads, and as a Yamaha NU1X owner, I have not experienced the loud note problem on any occasion since I purchased the piano in June 2021 until today. This software issue was resolved (almost entirely) with version v2.10 released in 2019. Each case is different and it may appear at some point (or not) but today, for me, it is a non-existent problem and does not worry me at all.

Regarding the difference with the NV5S, I did not test it because it was released just after and I tested the NV5. If the NU1X had not existed I would have bought an NV5 as it is the instrument that came closest in concept and expectations. In this thread I commented why I chose the NU1X over the NV5 in case they are of interest: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3163629/

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You've got to play them in person to know.
I got to play both on the same day and had a very strong preference for the action of one, and the pedal of the other.
I look forward to doing this again sometime in the future to see if my observations are the same, or if they're affected by individual instrument "prep" (of the action) or software/firmware updates. Have not spent more than an hour playing either, to be fair.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Q
Q
Originally Posted by Kawai James

However, here's a video from user "Ruminative Rat" (post link)

Thanks for sharing this. I’d never heard of this composer before. I love this piece and will be checking out more of him for sure.

Last edited by Quatschmacher; 01/10/22 08:41 PM.
L
L
I went through the same process couple months ago to choose a new digital / hybrid piano.
Coming from a CA-79 (before CA-98) I was happy with the CA-79 but I didn't want to get the same thing again and I felt the Ca-79 was kind of having some weird clicking noise in the action, as my Ca-98 had, too.
However I loved my CA-79 and it was really nice to play. Sound through headphones was really good!

At that time I lived in Germany and we as germans don't know how lucky we are that we can just compare all these heavy duty pianos side by side at big and small music stores. Now living in the U.S. I realize that a side by side comparison between Kawai and Yamaha in the same room next to each other is not really possible as the dealers carry either or.

Long story short: I also tested the NU1X and the NV5s multiple times. I really loved the NU1X instantly when sitting down playing it, it just feeled and sounded so good. I also liked the NV5s, I felt it has more power when playing louder also because of the soundboard, however I felt the natural set-up of the NU1X speakers create a more "player like" sound.
I honestly also prefer that the NU1X has the speakers not on top but facing forward, that way the top is a nice clean polished flat surface rather having the speaker cloth like the NV5s.

Sound: when playing through speakers the NU1X sounds better to me. It's rich and full and sounds really good. However the SK-EK Rendering sounds superb through headphones, even on my old CA-79.
I also really like the built in audio interface in the Yamaha. When connecting a VST you just connect it to your Laptop and sound will come through the Yamaha. With the NV5S I believe its similar to my old CA-79, you also have to do another wire to route the audio.

You cannot go wrong with either instruments. I chose the NU1X and really love playing it. The CFX might be "outdated" but so are many VSTs like Garritan etc... they are also not sampled in 2020 but rather 4-5 years ago.

You also have to decide for yourself if the higher price of the NV5S is justified to you. What are you getting more that you would justify this price difference? Newer Piano sample, soundboard etc?

Good luck and have fun picking your instrument smile

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
I just discovered a hefty price increase of the NV5s (in the Netherlands, although, for this it was less expensive than elsewhere).

Last edited by deafital; 01/18/22 10:35 AM.

L
L
I just discovered a hefty price increase of the NV5s (in the Netherlands, although, for this it was less expensive than elsewhere).

how much? I remember it was going for 5899 Euros in Europe wasn't it? It's listet for 6300 Euros on Thomann now.
Kawai US MSRPs $10k *lol* ...

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
Originally Posted by lovelovemale

how much? I remember it was going for 5899 Euros in Europe wasn't it? It's listet for 6300 Euros on Thomann now.
Kawai US MSRPs $10k *lol* ...
the place where you can compare it with the Nu1X where they are neighbours: https://www.oostendorp-muziek.nl/digitale-piano/kawai-novus-nv-5s-pe-digitale-piano-kopen so from ca. €5999 to €6495

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission