2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
96 members (Animisha, AaronSF, 13bwl, beeboss, Boboulus, Alex C, Beemer, BravoRomeo, 21 invisible), 906 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3186939 01/20/22 06:16 AM
S
Senahoi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am currently in the hard choice of looking for a grand piano. Kawai GX2 and Yamaha C2X are in the closer range, but that's not my Question. My Kawai Dealer told me he would prefer the ATX System (with some Speakers) over the Aures system, cause it disturbes the Soundboard. (In opposite of the Yamaha Dealer, that want to sell me just the most expensive available).

I mean, drilling holes in the Soundboard and driving some Screws into it cannot be good.

What do you thing about that topic, is he right?

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I don't think either are the best solution as I prefer a simple acoustic piano plus a (cheap) digital piano in combination. However I'd suggest it isn't the technology but the result that counts - if you play both options which do you prefer? If possible play them blindfold so you don't know which is which.

S
Senahoi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
well that’s no option for me. 1 piano must do both worlds. the new silent systems are great. i fear that my war is not trained enough atm. to hear the difference.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
That's OK, some folks like the silent piano option, others don't, we are all different.

From a theoretical standpoint I don't know which silent option is best. The hifi techie side of me says that the soundboard would be a shockingly bad material as an ideal speaker cone should be rigid and light. On the other hand it might be better, perhaps, as a bass transducer as it has a good large surface area. Which is actually the better solution is going to be detemined by how good a job they have made on the design rather than the technology choice I think.

If you can't tell any difference, perhaps just pick the cheapest one?

D
D
I’ve had more than 1 dealer who sell both Yamaha and Kawai say the transducers in the Aures and Transacoustic are a mixed bag. I haven’t played a transacoustic (last time I checked production had stopped due to chip shortages and a pending new model).

I did play an Aures 2 grand and a Yamaha grand with speakers mounted under the piano and wasn’t knocked out by the Aures. There’s a considerable price difference with Yamaha between the silent and transacoustic models, less so with Kawai.

When Yamaha are adding playback to their disklaviers they don’t do it with transducers but with powered monitors bolted to the underside of the piano:

My pending grand will use speakers rather than transducers, either as per Yamaha or active monitors.

Last edited by dhts; 01/20/22 05:27 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Senahoi
My Kawai Dealer told me he would prefer the ATX System (with some Speakers) over the Aures system, cause it disturbes the Soundboard. (In opposite of the Yamaha Dealer, that want to sell me just the most expensive available).

I mean, drilling holes in the Soundboard and driving some Screws into it cannot be good.

What do you thing about that topic, is he right?

I have asked this question here in the past as well, but no one seemed to know. I decided to go for an ATX system instead of Aures because:

1) the one time I had the chance to play a K300 and a K300 Aures next to each other, the one without Aures sounded better. There can be other explanations for this though.
2) it is hard to see how it can not affect the acoustics. The soundboard should vibrate. I don't think the holes and screws are going to make much of a difference but the transducers themselves constitute a serious amount of mass. These are directly mounted on the soundboard.

Of course there are also advantages to the Aures system so in the end it is a matter of what is more important to you. Sometimes you should tolerate some disadvantages to benefit from advantages. But I figured that I wouldn't use the aures capability often, so I didn't want to take the risk of any disadvantages that would be important to me.

S
Senahoi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
To be honest, i think the whole Transacoustic and aures thing is bullshit after 1/2 year of owning a ta2 system. it is sometimes fun to add some violins or choral to the piano voices but in the end it is just a gimmick. the real problem is, that when playing the digital piano and turn down the volume, you dont learn how to play piano forte because you trick yourself into a wrong feedback, that is not the problem when using headphones. if there is only a small disadvantage i will go for the silent system and put a speaker below the piano for my wife.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
To be honest, i think the whole Transacoustic and aures thing is bullshit after 1/2 year of owning a ta2 system. it is sometimes fun to add some violins or choral to the piano voices but in the end it is just a gimmick. the real problem is, that when playing the digital piano and turn down the volume, you dont learn how to play piano forte because you trick yourself into a wrong feedback, that is not the problem when using headphones. if there is only a small disadvantage i will go for the silent system and put a speaker below the piano for my wife.

Isn't this the problem with all digital pianos? Acoustic pianos do not have a volume control except the volume control provided by the lightness of your touch.

S
Senahoi Offline OP
OP Offline
S
btw. was at the Yamaha store today. the transacoustics system is superior to the aures system. the transducer touches the soundboard only with that needle. nothing else. nevertheless, I did not like the Yamaha grands.... funny how the ear and taste changes over a year.

A
A
I did not particularly care for the aures features on my Kawai K300 aures. The silent system was awesome though. The acoustic sound was great- not sure the aures speakers affected the sound or not…

That being said, after experimenting with an aftermarket silent system briefly on a grand, I am much happier now having my grand piano and a separate digital for my silent practicing needs.

Working on:
Bach Preludes and Fugues (Assorted)
Beethoven Appassionata Sonata
Chopin Scherzo #3

Practicing on:
Yamaha NU1X
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
N
N

I have a different opinion on the ta2. I bought it to consolidate digital and acoustic into a single instrument. I can use it for recording, midi in or out, Bluetooth out via the transducers, silent via headphones, or playing different instruments as accompaniment. For me it was definitely worth the purchase. If playing headphones is the goal then the silent model instead of transacoustic is probably the best approach.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,112
Posts3,192,233
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission