2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (Bett, 36251, Auntie Lynn, anotherscott, accordeur, 80k, 14 invisible), 4,163 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Absolutely beautiful, and the tone and resonance is amazing! Congratulations!

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
M
M
Amazing, congratulations!

Current family:
Kawai K-500
Kawai CA98
Fischer Grand (~1927)

Estranged lover:
Boston GP-178
D
D
so gorgeous, I am only slightly jealous.

Kawai RX3
Yamaha CLP 785
Roland FP 30
Originally Posted by gates_2
After much consideration I decided to part with my 11 year old Charles Walter 1500 and upgrade to a grand.

I began my search where I left off as a music major with a concentration in Piano Performance way back when in 2009- playing on Steinway D's and B's. I'd finally reached a point in my career where this was attainable. After visiting basically every piano store in Austin and San Antonio, including both Steinway galleries, I had the ability to play on multiple B's, a Bosie 214 VC, a new Yamaha sx7. I was surprised I didn't immediately fall for the Model B. The only piano I really enjoyed was the concert loaner in SA which had obviously been prepped to a high degree. I then stopped by the Kawai dealer(our last top of the trip), in SA. After playing a gorgeous but slightly unsatisfying SK5, I arrived at the SK7. The dynamic range and subtlety of tone blew me away- I was expecting to hate the Kawai/Yamaha sound instead thinking a Boise/B/Old European brand would be my preference. The action is such a joy to play and the piano sounded and felt fantastic from the beginning. I had no intention of buying that day but after an amazing offer, it was settled. Ironically, the S&S dealer in SA literally rolled his eyes and said "good luck with that" when I mentioned I was going to try this piano out.

Good luck indeed.

I hope to record with the instrument and rekindle a passion almost lost.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You played several of the pianos that I have on my list of "to try before buying." I was wondering if you would mind ranking them in order of preference, pretty please? I know preference is very subjective, but I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone with a performance degree. Many thanks in advance.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member
Hard to imagine a nicer piano. Congratulations!

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
S
S
As someone who wants an SK-7 but does not have the opportunity to try one first, do you think placing an order would be a wise decision ? I’ve played an SK-6 and SK-3 and I’m just in love with Shigeru Kawai’s. Thanks.

K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by ScrubNinja
As someone who wants an SK-7 but does not have the opportunity to try one first, do you think placing an order would be a wise decision ? I’ve played an SK-6 and SK-3 and I’m just in love with Shigeru Kawai’s. Thanks.

I would hesitate buying something you don't try out first. But owning a new SK-7, it also hard to think that someone could be disappointed with Shigeru!

G
gates_2 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Agree I would definitely want to play on the specific instrument before committing to such a big investment. Would be worth flying somewhere to try if one was in stock and you are strongly considering it.

B
B
Shigeru is a better choice than Steinway in many ways. 50% of the cost of a SS is perhaps marketing. Who cares?

piano groupbuys
G
gates_2 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Here is a Christmas tune from John Williams. No EQ, straight from the mics. Loving the instrument more each day.

B
B
Huge congratulations! I just recently came to greatly appreciate the Shigeru and had the good fortune of playing the pianos at Kim’s pianos in Stanton. CA while on a business trip. They had many big grands to play and I felt like a kid in a candy store. I’ll rate them in order with my best explanations. All subject to my layman’s opinion.
#5 Bosendorfer - not fair, they only had a 5’8” model that couldn’t hang with the big boys - and it was not in perfect tune.
#4 Bluenther. Very nice. Smooth, sounded evenly throughout, but nothing made me want to continue playing it.
#3 Estonia 225. I really liked this one. But the upper mid was not as sweet as the Shigeru.
#3 Bechstein. 1st time ever playing one. Better than the others. Sorry for the lack of descriptions on this and the previous ones, because…
#(expletive)1! Shrgiru Kawai. Ok it it is a bit unfair to compare a 9’ Kawai to 7’ other makes. The 9’ made me FEEL like I was playing in a concert. So, to be more fair, I also played the 7’ Kawai. The 7’ Kawai has all the same delightful overtones, perfect touch, evenness, as the 9’ version. I can’t explain it well, but it is like the difference from going from regular 2-channel stereo to surround sound. The Segiru Kawais engulfed me in sound. And every bit if it was perfect, out of this world, regardless of where I was playing on the keyboard. Whereas the others all had some small thing that I could point out as being less than ideal, I could find no fault with the Kawais.
Btw, played an older Yamaha C7 there, perfectly tuned and I hate to say my Kimball (with its many flaws) will easily hang with it but, it does.
I want to congratulate you on you purchase. I can only hope that with all the used Yamaha hype, I might be able to actually find a deal on a used Shrgiru that I could afford.

N
N
Sensational piano - well done. Great performance of the Nocturne which I am currently studying! I will have to post a video one day when I can play it half as well as you have done.

2006 Steingraeber & Söhne E-272
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 168 vs Yamaha C2X?
by Emeraldwynn - 07/01/22 09:48 PM
Mason Farrell
by Robertle - 07/01/22 08:57 PM
Bichord damper not damping
by Alto - 07/01/22 07:21 PM
Reshaping hammers by gang filing
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 07:13 PM
Regarding hammer swing test
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 06:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,770
Posts3,204,777
Members105,692
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission