2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (beeboss, Calavera, AJB, FrankCox, Animisha, Flygbladet, DSC, Hecarim, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 563 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Preamble
OK, the forum is named "Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards" but it became mostly a "Digital Pianos" forum. Not sure about what exactly the "Electronic Pianos" are (it looks redundant with the DP part) but, then, there is the "Synths & Keyboards" and, funnily enough, some of the DP guys forget about the forum scope and criticize when someone ask a question on synths, controllers etc.

End of preamble a.k.a. cut to the chase a.k.a. stop beating around the bush smile

Enough with Kawai, Yamaha, Roland!!! Let's vary the diet a little. smile

I found the demos below entertaining (I am glad they are short smile ).

It is a pitty he quickly go through some of the patches.

FWIW I am not a huge fan of organs (keyboard category I suppose?), with a few exception and I think the use of organ, at least, those used in pop/jazz, boring.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Nice!!

😋 Funny you should start this thread right this moment -- I just finished two hours of experimenting, key mapping, drawbar and other controls mapping, sound testing and so on because I am rather interested in (Jazz) Hammonding.

I am building a setup around the Acousticsamples B5v3 virtual Hammond library (a sampling/modeling hybrid). There are some software troubles to shoot/workaround but the sound is very convincing.

Boring? Heck no! Here are two definitely not boring (let's say, mind-blowing) examples that hugely inspire me:

Cheers and Let's Jazz,

HZ

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Whenever I hear an organ I reach down to tighten my roller skates. Too bad folks lost interest in organs and roller rinks. My cousin's son had a B3 when we were young, I had no idea it would become a legend.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Boring? Heck no! Here are two definitely not boring (let's say, mind-blowing) examples that hugely inspire me

Booooooooriiiiiiing!!!! smile I couldn't stand more than a few seconds listening to them.

OK, just joking, kind of (except for the time I spent hearing): it is not the style of music I appreciate. This is not to say they are not talented or skilled, it is just not my cup of tea. TBH, I find much of what is called jazz somewhat boring after a few minutes, it must be more fun playing than watching (like archery, which I practiced for a few years. smile ).

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There used to be many orchestral style organ players a few decades ago. Here's Mr Tyros before Tyros existed: go to 1:15:27 for something impressive.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
I think organs are super cool. I have a soft spot for transistor organs especially like Vox Farfisa and Ace Tone, but Tonewheel is cool too!
I believe SK PRO has the best organ sounds of a portable keyboard and it even has a really nice sounding theater organ if I recall correctly, even though it's pricey.
Not sold on the interface too as it seems very menu driven, tweaking many synth engine and organ parameters. Granted, I never sat at that keyboard so I could definitely have a wrong impression here.

Also could be just me being too lazy .. I applaud people with patience to scroll through menus and adjusting every parameter to exploit the fullest. For me it has to be a knob per function interface or close to that.

I have a Casio CT-S1. A far cry from being an "organ" but it has excellent organ patches even though there's no control or drawbars (usually "non-organ" keyboards have good pianos but crap organs) I enjoy playing them very much!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Chummy
I have a Casio CT-S1

Hello,

Yes, two or three organ sounds in that Casio are nicely done for such a somewhat simple keyboard in a somewhat low price category.

I have a CT-S1 too, since just a few days. I bought it as a budget upper manual for my 'Hammond', because all the 61 key MIDI controllers at this price level are so rickety rattly that they are just undoable in my mind.

I also use a little fader MIDI controller which sits on top of the CT-S1's speaker cloth strip, and functions as nine drawbars and I remapped the knobs and buttons to control other functions of the organ like tube amp drive, Leslie rotary speed, percussion system and so on.

This afternoon I remapped the 88 keys of my Roland FP-10 to give a bass manual, partial lower manual, and the 'black octaves' (drawbar presets) for the lower and upper manuals.

Image of experimental setup here: https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/259-...sive-synth-action-midi-controller?page=2

Is great fun!

Cheers and Let's Roar,

HZ

PS No menus! when I am behind the 'organ' (nor when I'm playing 'piano').

A
A
Which is the little fader MIDI controller you use? Sounds like you created a great setup!

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
@HZPiano

yeah I agree, very neat setup and it seems the FP-10 is not very heavy too! about 12 kilos.. + your Casio and the controller we basically carry the same weight to a gig only that I carry 1 board and you have 2 :-)

playing with 2 boards is LOTS of fun. Only for my use totally unnessecary as I currently only gig solo (piano) or with a couple of singers as the only instrumentalist in which I mainly play Bass LH with Piano/EP on the RH...

I bought the CT-S1 as a "fun" portable keyboard to take out to jams, parks, friends', etc. I got the red model but I gotta say the black looks serious and sleek, Like a business man in a suit.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Nice!!

😋 Funny you should start this thread right this moment -- I just finished two hours of experimenting, key mapping, drawbar and other controls mapping, sound testing and so on because I am rather interested in (Jazz) Hammonding.

I am building a setup around the Acousticsamples B5v3 virtual Hammond library (a sampling/modeling hybrid). There are some software troubles to shoot/workaround but the sound is very convincing.

Boring? Heck no! Here are two definitely not boring (let's say, mind-blowing) examples that hugely inspire me:

Cheers and Let's Jazz,

HZ

Bloody wonderful! How did those two meet? What a combination. You could lose yourself in a drunken stupour listening to that . . . .it is all consuming. I wish . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Preamble
OK, the forum is named "Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards" but it became mostly a "Digital Pianos" forum. Not sure about what exactly the "Electronic Pianos" are (it looks redundant with the DP part)

I think EPs are purely analog, like the old Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzers. Someone who knows more than I can confirm or deny this. smile

Decent bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, RD-2000, & VR-730; Yamaha MX61; Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30; Casio PX-160 & PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I think EPs are purely analog, like the old Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzers. Someone who knows more than I can confirm or deny this. smile

It makes a lot of sense.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Which is the little fader MIDI controller you use? Sounds like you created a great setup!

Thank you! It's all new to me and takes some getting used to, because before I only had the FP-10 (as a piano controller only) in front of me with no bells and whistles to distract me. But I am starting to like this 🙂.

The fader controller is:

https://www.bax-shop.nl/midi-studio-controllers/devine-ez-creator-fade-usb-midi-controller

I suspect this is an in-store branding of a Chinese product that may be found elsewhere under different brand names.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Chummy
I agree, very neat setup and it seems the FP-10 is not very heavy too! about 12 kilos.. + your Casio and the controller we basically carry the same weight to a gig only that I carry 1 board and you have 2 :-)

[...]

I got the red model but I gotta say the black looks serious and sleek, Like a business man in a suit.

Thanks! For me things are even lighter to carry to gigs because... I don't gig 😋.

Yes, I find the looks of the CT-S1 quite stylish, modest and calm. It is the first keyboard (not counting pianos) I actually like the looks of. Of course the quality of the keybed was the first criterium, and while the quality isn't outstanding I like it better than any MIDI controller at similar prices. I also tested the CT-S100 but that keybed is strange: noisier and with black keys that bottom out hard.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by peterws
Bloody wonderful! How did those two meet? What a combination.

What a beauty indeed it is to see how two (three if we include the drummer!) people non-verbally (and thus the more powerfully) communicate through their music, reaching a synergy that, in this case, quite literally swings us off our butts.

Cheers and happy energies,

HZ

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So, interesting coincidence: the first organ post for a while, and Tony from Bonners releases a video on the brand new Hammond SK Pro Ex dual manual organ.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/23/22 07:17 AM.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Doug M.
So, interesting coincidence: the first organ post for a while, and Tony from Bonners releases a video on the brand new Hammond SK Pro Ex dual manual organ.

Nice!!

Thanks for spotting the coincidence and posting Tony's video!

Cheers and Let's Jazz,

HZ

E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Doug M.

I suggest a new thread for this. Let's shake the Kawai/Yamaha/Roland guys a little. smile

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I just had a moment to watch that Hammond Skx Pro video...

Wow! It's a beast! I like it (or so it seems)!

Just... €3700 over my current budget. Oh well... I just bought that CT-S1 so all should be good anyway... 😲

Cheers and sweet dreams,

HZ

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Interestingly, there is viable competition to the Hammond clonewheel. The Viscount Legend being the most obvious contender:

It's sampling versus modelling, just this time with clonewheels.

Hard to beat the original though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Kawai GL50
by Tuface - 05/16/22 09:34 PM
Making a book of sheet music into a ring-bound book?
by ShiroKuro - 05/16/22 02:50 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,107
Posts3,192,125
Members105,292
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission