2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Dfrankjazz, 36251, CrashTest, ChickenBrother, brdwyguy, Ed Sutton, Chris B, benkeys, 13 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 642 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi pianoworld,

Looking for fourm opinion and comments to the following options for digital pianos. User - 9 YO daughter of second year study + myself of same / lower level of skill. Looking for a decent action and sound to keep it for at least 5 years or so

Presently having 100+ years old Ed Seiler upright, but looks like it is time for it to have a calm retirement

Possible options where I live

Yamaha CLP 745 W - USD 2200
Yamaha CLP 775 W - USD 3300
Casio GP 310 W - USD 2650
Casio GP 510 EP - USD 3450
Kawai CA 49W - USD 2650
Kawai CA99W - USD 4650
Kawai NV5S (floor model) - USD 8000
Roland 706 DP - USD - 4700

For used ones there is an option of YAMAHA n1ux in WP for some USD 4400, but not sure of the condition

Kaiwai CA 79 and 59 are for order with uncertain waiting period (probably 3-4months) with prices of USD 4250 / 3300 respectively

White colour is of preference, but not critical and among those i am presently heading towards either GP 310 or CLP 775.

Thank for those who have read and doubly thanks for those who shared their opinion smile

Last edited by project44; 01/28/22 06:10 PM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Given that your daughter has played 2 years, she's heading into the zone where having an acoustic action will make a noticeable difference for her, especially if she uses her teachers acoustic every week and then comes home to a digital. I would personally go for the NV5S for her benefit. If it were just for you to plink around, I would agree the GP310 or CLP775 would be great choices.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
L
L
Welcome, project44!

It is difficult to offer advice as your price range seems to be wide, $2200-8000, but I will try.

Of course, the hybrids Kawai NV5S and Yamaha NU1X are better than the other pianos mentioned, truly in a different class. But one comes at a huge price premium and the other with uncertainties as to its condition.

Frankly, if I was looking to spend that kind of money, I would seriously consider a used acoustic piano. You could certainly get a high quality upright, and perhaps a grand if patient and lucky, as I was a few years ago. Is there a reason you are considering digital pianos?

If so, what jumped out at me from your list is the great prices of the Yamaha CLP pianos. The CLP-745, in particular, is a bargain at $2200, and should be perfectly fine for your daughter for the time horizon mentioned. Or, if spending more is not too much of a stretch, consider the CLP-775 and CLP-785, which are better.

I prefer the actions of the Kawai CA series to those of the Yamaha CLP series, but the significant price differential and/or prospect of waiting an uncertain number of months would make me think twice. These piano series are direct competitors and usually priced similarly.

All the best,
Lotus

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you Lotus and Mark,

Much appreciated.

Re acoustic that is a correct comment. Understand that the study wise we would need acoustic sonner or later. But would NV5 not be a compromise? My thoughts were to keep our old upright for some time and DP for both study and entertainment (hope that additional sounds and features would keep interest in learning as well). And should the teacher really insist on acoustic, then get one. From the pricepoint of NV5 we can get let's say K200 + clp 745 for almost the same money.

Today tried GP 310 and iam slightly confused. Action seemed a bit "bumpy" and sound samples were around okay rather than great

Does anyone consider Casio 310 as a competitor for Yamaha clp 775 or 745? Reviews online are often compare GP510 to top models like CA99 and 310 is almost identical to 510. Cost of casio 310 is right in the middle of 745/775

Last edited by project44; 01/29/22 10:10 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If you are in a position to get a k200 or k300 that is definitely what I would recommend - and if you need the headphones option and / or the additional sounds then a CLP 7xx is a great practice / fun instrument.

L
L
Project44, I have not played the Casio pianos you are considering, so did not comment on them. However, past experience with Casio has led me to believe that they make good pianos and price them to be a great value. In my opinion, the Casio GP310/510 are not true hybrids like the Kawai NV or Yamaha N pianos, but certainly comparable to the Kawai CA and Yamaha CLP series.

You are correct in saying that the Casio GP310 is almost identical to the GP510. The differences are trivial -- some minor features and a finish option -- which are not worth the extra expense.

I think that you are on the right track in looking at a less expensive digital plus the option of an acoustic in the future. I have that combination and find it priceless. You can't go wrong with the Casio and Yamaha choices you are seriously considering, especially at these prices, so go with what feels and sounds best to you!

All the best,
Lotus

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by project44
Understand that the study wise we would need acoustic sonner or later. But would NV5 not be a compromise? My thoughts were to keep our old upright for some time and DP for both study and entertainment (hope that additional sounds and features would keep interest in learning as well).
If you get the NV5 I don't think you would ever need to get an acoustic. It has the same action as the K series uprights and feels like the Ks in terms of the touch. Of course the sound is different because it's digital, but it does have a small soundboard which gives it some element of acoustic performance. And it has a real pedal mechanism. It also can do the same things a DP can do because it has a sound library and can use a vst if you choose to go that far into the digital world. Don't ignore the need and cost for maintenance on a real acoustic and the need to keep your house at a reasonable humidity level. I have an acoustic and if the NV5/10 had been available when I bought mine, I would have much preferred one of the NVs.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
As a counter point I would never in a million years give up my (very) old U1 in favor of a digital. On an emotional level the old acoustic moves me in a way that no digital ever could.

I realize this is very personal - but I can’t imagine I’m alone in this.

I love digital pianos - but to me they’re a very different beast.

C
C
The CA49, CLP 775, CA99, and NV5 are the only ones I would consider given those prices. It is really just about deciding on a budget; the price/performance gains may not be as significant to you as you go up in price. You are going to get more out of your money as you move up the price scale on those four models. As others have already said, you could easily get a very good acoustic in that price range, well below what the NV5 costs. Personally, I don't find the CA99 at as much of a disadvantage to a real acoustic as others seem to find it, particularly if you don't have room for an acoustic grand.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
As a counter point I would never in a million years give up my (very) old U1 in favor of a digital.

[...]

I can’t imagine I’m alone in this.

Hello,

You most certainly aren't!

Cheers and happy acoustics,

HZ

A
A
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
As a counter point I would never in a million years give up my (very) old U1 in favor of a digital. On an emotional level the old acoustic moves me in a way that no digital ever could.

I realize this is very personal - but I can’t imagine I’m alone in this.

I love digital pianos - but to me they’re a very different beast.

+1

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 (sold) / Kawai CS11 / Kawai ES-120 / Hammond XK-3c
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
P
OP Offline
P
Ordered CLP 745

Thanks again everyone replied!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Piano Day!
by Retsacnal - 03/28/24 09:41 PM
Tighten flange birdseyes
by JohnCW - 03/28/24 05:35 PM
What Model is my 1993 Weber?
by YosefM - 03/28/24 03:17 PM
Are piano prices in a bubble and set to come down?
by CrashTest - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Is Baltimore a major port of entry for pianos?
by Sgisela - 03/28/24 12:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,117
Posts3,344,922
Members111,469
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission