2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Carey, ChristoVanRensburg, AndrewJCW, bwv543, Calavera, 8 invisible), 560 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
hi guys, would appreciate your opinion and/or recommendation

I have a Kawai 920 which I mostly play at home and sometimes do light gigging.
I use the Roland Z stand at home (I have 2, the other one is unpacked in my trunk).
I quite like the Roland Z stand but it has 2 drawbacks:

1) it sometimes have wobble from left to right when played loud and fast across the keyboard. Not a huge deal breaker as I can still play whatever I want but it sometimes I wish it would not move whatsoever like a real piano.

2) The stand may cause a few buzzing frequencies sometimes depends on the note(s) played and the board's position.

I wonder whether buying Kawai's built in furniture stand for the ES920 may help to remedy these situations. Would appreciate input from people who have it regarding

1) Does it hold the board with no wobble at all?
2) Do the speakers buzz or have unwanted behaviour with the Kawai stand?
3) Is it easy to dissassmble the keyboard from the stand for when I'd like to take it to a gig?
4) How does the stand touch the ground? e.g washing the floor with water would be an issue (wood touches floor..)?
e.g my Z stand has rubber feet, I know of some stands that have wheels so these are great to seperate it from the floor.

---

Also I use a Korg Krome 88 gig bag https://www.korg.com/us/products/accessories/sc_kross2_88_krome88/

The Case is good so far, weights about 2.2 kilos but pretty thin, a bit longer than the keyboard (by ~4 cents) and the wheels won't last as they are not quality. It doesn't fit my small car due to the wheels and by moving the seats and taking it out of the car the case gathers some wear, so I'm looking to replace it.

My car's width (internally, backseats) is 139.5 cm, and the ES920's 134cm. So without any gig bag It'd be easy to fit the keyboard inside. Ideally I'd like a bag to have the external length of max 139cm ... is there such a thing? or.. a case with detachable wheels? or should I use a non-wheeled case and a hand cart (that sounds like a chore though!)? or other solution? appreciate the help. Since I can't go to a store due to Covid for a while.. thanks!!

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Chummy, The furniture-type stand would be impractical if you want to take off the ES920 every now and then.

I use this stand:

https://www.bax-shop.nl/pianostandaards/stagg-mxs-a1-standaard-voor-mixer-of-keyboard

It is rock stable and cheap, and can be easily adjusted in height and width (independently!). I like it much more than any X or Z type stands.

The same stand is sold under different brand names, see what is available in your area.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I bought Kases 88 note keyboard bag. I researched and measured many. I also didn't want to spend too much for a softbag. There are many oversized bags with thicker foam but I think you have to be just as careful with any soft bag. The measurements of bag appear a tat smaller but I figured in a soft bag will stretch a little. I bought if from this vendor. At the time it was the cheapest I could find. I was considering a Gator 88 slim because I had owned one before. About four years ago I paid $89.99 and I thought that was fair but now (and before Covid,) the bag sells for $149.99. I considered that price gouging but it has more foam and might make you feel more secure. good luck.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
S
S
In your case I'd consider having two stands: Kawai's furniture stand with the triple pedal bottom bar set up at home and a simpler, more transportable setup for gigging.

The main disadvantage is that the piano will inevitably feel somewhat differently when out on gigs...

Kawai CA79
O
Off Offline
O
I built my own stand for my ES920 and it is rock solid.

I used 2*12 to make sure it is solid and it looks better.

I painted it black with paint from the hardware store.

I also used these "Threaded Insert Nutsert, 1/4"-20 x 15mm Screw in Nut Threaded Wood Inserts, for Wood Furniture"

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Ins...hy=9002363&hvtargid=pla-888208336716

This way you can easily use a drill to screw them fast and easy and transport.

It is a bit more work and a bit heavy but it is worth it.

I can't stand a digital piano that wobbles.

Last edited by Off; 01/30/22 12:04 PM.
W
W
I'm thinking about building a stand for my ES920 and would be curious to see yours. Would you mind posting a photo or two of it? Thanks.

O
Off Offline
O
Its too much work for me to post pics here, you can pm an email, and I can send it that way.

It is not the prettiest stand because I am really busy and don't have time to make a pretty one but it's not that bad at all.

Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Very Interesting insight guys
I don't really have the time to make my own stand sadly frown I wish I had the hardware and the expertise though it sounds lots of fun!
Interesting comments regarding the furniture stands.. for gigs the Z stand is fine, the wobbling is hardly noticeable but since 90% of the time I play at home... whether its band rehearsals or for my own enjoyment I'd rather not settle for anything but the best. I couldn't find the Stagg stand, but I did find this:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11650/589106

It's an Onstage table style, and it seems to have better versatility in changeable height/depth than the Z stand (and surprisingly it's cheaper! maybe cause it's the "Roland" name?)
What do you say about this guys? I don't have a shop I can go to right now but I'm able to order it, have any of you have experience with this particular product? I also never had any "table" stands but many people have told me to stay away from them, I should have asked "why that is" haha...

I am not in the US so I couldn't manage to order from Kaces but I can order from Thomann (EU) I saw the Gator Slim while the prices is OK I wonder about those soft cases in general
if the keyboard dimensions are larger than the "internal dimensions" but will fit the "external dimensions" that means it won't fit for sure, right?
Something like this : https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gkb_88_slim.htm Width and Height are perfect. The Internal Length is 132 , external 135 and the kawai is 134.5 lol... it means I'm screwed? also do any of use guys who gig use a hand cart to ferry these keyboards or just carry em like that (I'm a guy so I don't mind, the problem is straining over time, and walking some distances where the car cannot be parked super close)

Thanks again for the helpful comments

C
C
I like the Kawai bag made for these keyboards. A bit more expensive, but it’s light, has decent wheels, and it fits exactly.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On-Stage KB9503B Adjustable Height Piano Bench
by TheophilusCarter - 08/12/22 10:15 PM
Cant i identify a piano, need help
by Orisolo - 08/12/22 09:34 PM
1983 Yamaha C7 Concert Grand Piano
by Joshua Lauriston - 08/12/22 05:39 PM
The Fugue, a Form or a Technique ?
by Sidokar - 08/12/22 06:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,369
Posts3,215,892
Members106,074
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission