Ferruccio Busoni arranged the Andantino from W.A. Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 9 into a composition for solo piano (as opposed to its original form, for piano and orchestra) in 1913.

The Mozart - Busoni arrangement, or the "Andantino" (as I like to call it) is an arrangement I find extraordinary. I'm learning it for a short recital my piano teacher is setting up this summer.

Busoni left his own cadenza (in place of Mozart's) for the arrangement, which he expects the performer to utilize, but my piano teacher has subtly implied that he may make me play Mozart's original cadenza in its place.

I'm personally torn: I like both the cadenzas quite a bit.

I was initially quite against Mozart's own cadenzas for most of his piano concerti for a long time, but I've grown to understand them and adore them. I mean, who could hate Mozart's cadenza, especially for the Andantino of the Ninth? The sublimity of the cadenza is heartbreakingly operatic!

That said, I also like the contrast Busoni provides to the piece, by switching to the major key for his cadenza. It provides light to a rather tragic piece.

I'm not really sure which cadenza to play for this particular arrangement. I would like to hear some opinions on both the cadenzas so that I can be a little bit more educated on the pros and cons of using the Mozart cadenza vs the Busoni cadenza in this arrangement.

Egon Petri and Hamish Milne have recorded the Mozart - Busoni arrangement (and expectedly, with the Busoni cadenza).

No one I've seen plays this arrangement with Mozart's cadenza, but obviously, if one is playing the original Andantino, that person would play the Mozart cadenza. (As evidenced by pianists who specialize in Mozart, like Murray Perahia.)

Here's a comparison:

(Egon Petri)

(Murray Perahia; skip to 10:02)

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.