2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
(is the salesperson also on PW? if that's the case I gotta say this thread is rather cheeky)

Was told once, by a high-profile piano pro member here, that the piano business was a relatively small world, collectively, and most everyone in the piano biz knew, or knew of, everyone else in the piano biz. So, it's quite possible the salesperson in question is a member here, or at least lurks on the piano forum?

Maybe, maybe not.

Rick

Rick, I've heard that said as well. And I would go so far as to say, anyone in the business of selling pianos should be paying attention to this forum.

So, to cygnusdei's comment, if the piano salesman is here, then he can take this thread as a chance to learn something!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
We all have our opinions and tastes that lead us towards certain piano brands. Bad mouthing other brands will only insult people who really do have common interests and ultimately hurt the entire piano industry. That's the way I view it.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
As distasteful as we all find the FUD approach to selling, I have to wonder if it "works" more often than not. Otherwise, salespeople would quit doing it. Wouldn't they? Or is it more an act of desperation?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by Rickster
(is the salesperson also on PW? if that's the case I gotta say this thread is rather cheeky)

Was told once, by a high-profile piano pro member here, that the piano business was a relatively small world, collectively, and most everyone in the piano biz knew, or knew of, everyone else in the piano biz. So, it's quite possible the salesperson in question is a member here, or at least lurks on the piano forum?

Maybe, maybe not.

Rick

Rick, I've heard that said as well. And I would go so far as to say, anyone in the business of selling pianos should be paying attention to this forum.

So, to cygnusdei's comment, if the piano salesman is here, then he can take this thread as a chance to learn something!

I'm sure there are a lot of dealer lurkers out there. In fact, I've heard that some work the PM's pretty aggressively when a shopper from their area starts posting. I guess there's nothing technically wrong with that, but it's clear that some only take from the community instead of giving to it by participating publicly (like some of our better dealer members do).

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

At first I was thinking that there isn't a dealer of a Japanese brand in the metro** area who's active here, but then I realized that there is. At the same, that dealer is also a Baldwin dealer, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to trash the brand.

**I live on the western edge of the DC metro area. I seldom cross over into Maryland, and tend to forget that the metro area really extends almost to Baltimore. Heck, some people even consider the whole states of West Virginia and Delaware, along with Maryland and Virginia to be the "Capital Region."

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
With as sleezy as he sounds I'm surprised he can sell a piano to anyone! Who does that?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I'd be inclined to thank the buyer with a nice card and a bottle of something expensive.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on the other salesman (no matter how satisfying the irony of a "commission" might feel).

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by DiarmuidD
I wouldn't waste my time or money on the other salesman (no matter how satisfying the irony of a "commission" might feel).

I think a lot of you are taking Keith's question seriously, when it was obviously a joke 🤣

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly,
Piano salesmen just gotta lie.....

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by twocats
Originally Posted by DiarmuidD

I think a lot of you are taking Keith's question seriously, when it was obviously a joke 🤣

I know it's a joke. I just wasn't sure if he wanted to run with it!

D
D
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

At first I was thinking that there isn't a dealer of a Japanese brand in the metro** area who's active here, but then I realized that there is. At the same, that dealer is also a Baldwin dealer, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to trash the brand.

**I live on the western edge of the DC metro area. I seldom cross over into Maryland, and tend to forget that the metro area really extends almost to Baltimore. Heck, some people even consider the whole states of West Virginia and Delaware, along with Maryland and Virginia to be the "Capital Region."

With a bit more extended definition of the DC metro area, like you said, there are actually a few dealers of new Japanese brands that do not carry Baldwin.

I somehow have a bias of thinking of a particular dealer in this area that may have staff behaving that way. But I should keep that to myself, since I haven't been there for quite some time, I don't know every salesperson in that shop (and they come and go anyways), and my experience with them has not been 100% negative either.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Davdoc

With a bit more extended definition of the DC metro area, like you said, there are actually a few dealers of new Japanese brands that do not carry Baldwin.

I somehow have a bias of thinking of a particular dealer in this area that may have staff behaving that way. But I should keep that to myself, since I haven't been there for quite some time, I don't know every salesperson in that shop (and they come and go anyways), and my experience with them has not been 100% negative either.

Yeah, definitely multiple dealers of Japanese brands. I was just thinking of those who sometimes participate here.

I've visited the regional Yamaha shops multiple times (once as a consumer and several to attend PTG meetings -- pre-Covid I'd go if the technical session looked interesting). The sales folks have always been pleasant. There's also a multi-location Kawai dealer, but I have never been there.

A
A
Something similar happened to me recently when someone badmouthed another piano that I know is perfectly equal with one I was looking at but that they didn't sell. Totally turned me off. So even though I preferred the piano model they had, I ordered it from someone else. I'm in the tri-state area with plenty of options. Salespeople should be interested in finding the piano suited for each person, it builds trust in the relationship. Badmouthing another brand that they don't offer just makes it seem like they only care about the sale not at all about the customer. It also assumes the customer knows nothing, which is often not the case. Haven't they watched Miracle on 34th Street? lol

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amykpiano
Haven't they watched Miracle on 34th Street? lol

Yeah! thumb

A Christmas classic. Unfortunately, we didn't watch it this year. Is it too far past Christmas to watch it "seasonally"? smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
So even though I preferred the piano model they had, I ordered it from someone else.

[Linked Image]

A rising tide lifts all the boats
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
As distasteful as we all find the FUD approach to selling, I have to wonder if it "works" more often than not. Otherwise, salespeople would quit doing it. Wouldn't they? Or is it more an act of desperation?

FUD absolutely works. Have you ever seen this exact approach with our political candidates who have the most experienced and most highly paid experts guiding them every step of the way and creating their advertising? Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent promoting FUD style marketing. It for sure works even on people who hate and resent it.

Even though the outcome of this particular example was fun because FUD backfired, it also wasn't well executed FUD so it is more a comment on both the approach and skill of the salesperson in question. Other sales people might get deals over me regularly with this approach only the do a better job at it and likely I don't ever even find out what happened.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
A
A
Never too late! Or too early for next year!

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Something similar happened to me recently when someone badmouthed another piano that I know is perfectly equal with one I was looking at but that they didn't sell. Totally turned me off. So even though I preferred the piano model they had, I ordered it from someone else. I'm in the tri-state area with plenty of options. Salespeople should be interested in finding the piano suited for each person, it builds trust in the relationship. Badmouthing another brand that they don't offer just makes it seem like they only care about the sale not at all about the customer. It also assumes the customer knows nothing, which is often not the case. Haven't they watched Miracle on 34th Street? lol

Yea, it is a lot easier to do business with someone you like, or at least have a good first impression. As I've followed this thread, I was thinking that perhaps Keith's customer may have had a good enough first impression with the other salesperson in question, since she initially looked at the Japanese made piano at the other dealer (at least this is what I assume).

The problem that steered the customer back to Keith for a second time, was the salesperson's rant about what a mistake the customer had made buying the other piano, and not giving her a chance to tell him why she called in the first place, and telling them the full story that she actually wanted to buy the Japanese brand from them.

It seems like the salesperson snapped and became hostile and vindictive toward the customer and the Chinese made piano brand she mentioned she had purchased.

However, we know not all salespeople, piano and otherwise, are cut from the same mold. I will say, and this is just my opinion, it is difficult to embrace a salesperson as a friend. They are looking to make a sale, and, hence, a commission/profit, from the sale. On the other hand, it is nice when a salesperson actually does seek to make the customer happy, before and after the sale.

I remember reading the biography of H. Ross Perot. He said that from a very young age, and throughout his entire working career, he never made a dime unless he sold something. I'm thinking if a salesperson wishes to have a long career in commission sales, they need to have good people skills, likeability and be somewhat charismatic and honest, especially if they want repeat customers. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

FUD absolutely works. Have you ever seen this exact approach with our political candidates who have the most experienced and most highly paid experts guiding them every step of the way and creating their advertising? Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent promoting FUD style marketing. It for sure works even on people who hate and resent it.

Even though the outcome of this particular example was fun because FUD backfired, it also wasn't well executed FUD so it is more a comment on both the approach and skill of the salesperson in question. Other sales people might get deals over me regularly with this approach only the do a better job at it and likely I don't ever even find out what happened.

Sad to say, you are totally correct.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
FUD absolutely works.

Thinking of the tech who recently cast doubts on a Shigeru Kawai, and it turns out he was the person I thought it was and has a partnership with the Yamaha dealer! So sleazy.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission