2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3198683 03/04/22 12:35 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Looking still to get a grand piano but professional musician friend, just offering 2 Hammond organ options since he is moving across country. He has Hammond M -103 and an S 6.

I just have learned a ton about pianos but have not played organ since studied pipe organ one summer in high school.
Should I jump at this opportunity or pass? I don't know their value.
The grand piano I will get, is it crazy to get an organ.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Questions:

. . . Do you know the market value of those organs ?

. . . Do you have enough space to keep those organs ?

. . . Does everything on those organs work ?

. . . Do you have a use for them ?

I ask, because decent digital emulations of Hammond organs are available, for very reasonable prices. They're much easier to move around (the Ferrofish is an extreme example), and less likely to need repair.

OTOH, a digital emulation of a Hammond is not a Hammond.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The M103 is a lovely thing, I used to have one and it was great, a proper tonewheel organ with valves in a console case. If I were offered one tomorrow I'd take it, as long as everything worked properly on it. If there is a Leslie cabinet with it, so much the better. I don't know their value in the US but here in France I'd hope to pay €600 - 1000, more if there is a Leslie. I think Hammonds are cheaper in US as there are lots more of them; also I think values of console Hammonds are depressed as digital emulations are really good these days.

The S6....I've never seen one but they have a valve tone generator (no tonewheels) and a single keyboard with chord buttons a bit like an accordeon. This would be for real enthusiasts or a museum, I've no idea what they are worth.

Is it crazy to have a Hammond and a piano? Absolutely not, in my view, every home should have (at least) one of each.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Can you clarify more by what you mean that the S6 is a museum piece? That is the only one available now. It seems the other organ is or was the best option. If it doesn’t have much practical use or fun to have in addition to a piano
then I should probably pass. Comparison to an accordion doesn’t seem like an endorsement. Thank you for your help

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
A Hammond organ and a piano are so completely different instruments, requiring different technique, If you want to play the organ as well as the piano, there is no reason not to get both

P
P
You mentioned studying pipe organ, and I presume you know that the Hammond is a much different animal. If you play jazz or rock & roll, go for the Hammond. But Hammonds are generally unsuitable for playing the core organ literature (e.g., Bach or Widor).

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by N Artur
Can you clarify more by what you mean that the S6 is a museum piece? That is the only one available now. It seems the other organ is or was the best option. If it doesn’t have much practical use or fun to have in addition to a piano
then I should probably pass. Comparison to an accordion doesn’t seem like an endorsement. Thank you for your help

No two ways about it, the M, assuming it was working properly, would have been a decent practical instrument, two keyboards, bass pedals, drawbars, all the things that make a Hammond such fun to play. The S6 is such an oddball that I can't think of anybody who'd want one...they only made them in 1958 so presumably they were a tough sell even then. As an instrument to learn to play the organ (in any style) it would be absolurely useless, rather like buying a steamroller to learn how to drive.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank all of you for your replies. You saved me from buying the lesser of the two instruments. Traditional Hammond organ was gone.
The focus should be the piano anyway. I just talk to have time to play that, not having a competing instrument. It would’ve just been fun to own an instrument that at some level belong to a well-known rock band.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission