2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (Auntie Lynn, anotherscott, accordeur, Charles Cohen, 80k, CraiginNZ, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 4,317 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3202084 03/18/22 07:18 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Last December I reported here how I finally settled on a Seiler ED132 as my new piano. I delayed receiving it (nine long weeks!) until I had moved house (why subject the piano to an additional move?). But getting used to it since I took possession of it four weeks ago, has been, and still is, something of a journey. In case some of you are interested in the details, I'll relate the pertinent points here.

First up, one or two who replied to my earlier thread asked me to post pictures once I had the piano. Of course, you can easily find pictures online, but what those pictures don't show are close-ups of the lovely lines in the Seiler. So I'm attaching a couple of such pictures here. Personally, I love the case design of the 132.
[I can't see how to do this. Can you only upload a link and not directly load a picture?]

Previously I had only played my U3 using the middle pedal (because I couldn't stand the bright sound in my all-concrete/tiles living room). That had two effects on how I perceived my new Seiler. First, the Seiler was too loud and not mellow enough (my wife disagrees on both points). My living room is not large, and the piano has to be agains a brick wall (although I have it about 150mm from the wall). Putting a couple of thick blankets behind the piano has helped. My ear has also made the predictable adjustment, although I'm still certain the piano is not sounding its best. I know this because some notes sound warm and resonant, others are either slightly dead or thin. Some bass notes sound a little growly. It was tuned three weeks ago (five days after I got it), but I'm sure it needs tuning again already. Perhaps tuning itself will fix some of the 'problems'. Certainly, the fact that some notes sound really nice and others not so suggests that the whole piano has the potential to sound "really nice."

The second effect of playing (my U3) only when using the middle pedal, I now realize, is that I lost the ability to play quietly. You don't have to try very hard when you have a thick felt between the hammer and the strings! And, of course, the dynamic range is greatly reduced when using that pedal. At first, when playing the Seiler, I was disappointed that I couldn't easily play softly. But the fault is with me, not with the piano. After making adjustments to my technique, I find the Seiler can have a whisper quiet voice; it is capable of great delicacy. Playing the final movement of Schubert's earlier A major sonata (D.664 / Op.120)—and any Mozart—beautifully demonstrates the Seiler's delicacy and clarity. Boy, does it have clarity! At the same time, Brahms' G Minor Rhapsody is thunderous (the opening lines).

What I have found less successful on the Seiler is something like Earl Wilde's transcription of Rachmaninov's Vocalise. In nearly every bar you have chords where almost every finger of both hands is playing at once: the texture is so thick. On the Seiler, I haven't been able to make it sound good. Might that be tuning? It is surprising, given that one of the outstanding strengths of the Seiler, it seems to me, is its clarity.

Curiously, some days I like the Seiler a lot; some days I find it less attractive. Some days it sounds rich and warm; other days the treble especially sounds just a little hard. The action is light and responsive; yet one day it felt more solid (I liked that) and the sound warmer (which I like a lot). Is that normal for a new piano? So some days I have wondered, "Did I make the right decision with this piano?" And other days I have thought, "Wow. This is a quality instrument."

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I can help you upload images. You can’t upload them directly here, as far as I know. I use Imgur. Sign up for an account here:

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210076633-Create-an-Account

upload your pictures, which I do from the mobile app, and then select each one and Copy Post Link and post that here using the image button in the Full Editor. That way, the image will be displayed inline with your message.

Your piano sounds exciting! I’m sure it takes some time to adjust to any new instrument.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
You can host pictures here on the PW site - in fact, we are strongly encouraged to do so! This way the pictures remain as an archive.

If you look in the right-hand column you will see a box labelled "What's Hot!". There you will find a link entitled "Posting pictures on the Forums."

In addition, forum member Retsacnal has created a video demonstration of how to upload pictures. There is a link in the signature at the bottom of his posts. This is the link:

http://forums.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...o-post-pictures-video-demonstration.html

If anything is not clear about this, please ask and I will try to enlighten you.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by David-G
You can host pictures here on the PW site - in fact, we are strongly encouraged to do so! This way the pictures remain as an archive.

If you look in the right-hand column you will see a box labelled "What's Hot!". There you will find a link entitled "Posting pictures on the Forums."

In addition, forum member Retsacnal has created a video demonstration of how to upload pictures. There is a link in the signature at the bottom of his posts. This is the link:

http://forums.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...o-post-pictures-video-demonstration.html

If anything is not clear about this, please ask and I will try to enlighten you.

I think there is some 320Kb limit on file size, if I recall correctly, which is why I gave up on uploading anything here.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I have just experimented with uploading a photo, to remind myself. The maximum file size is 2 Mb. I have easy means of reducing the file size to come under this limit. I appreciate that other people might find it difficult. The PW photo uploader ought to do this automatically.

K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the help in uploading my humble pics. The official website instructions may be out of date, because they didn't match what I found on the link! Never mind; I did manage to upload the pictures (after greatly reducing their size—which I did by doing a screen shot of each of the .jpg images). Here's the link: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/3202291/bernards-seiler-ed132.html#Post3202291

P
P
Well the effort was worth it that is a beautiful piano! Congrats!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Very nice!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Your Seiler looks beautiful in that room! Congratulations! I am sure it sounds great. it's a big difference to your U3 I suppose.

K
OP Offline
K
Yes, tre corda, I suppose every piano has its own sound. Perhaps some have a stronger personality than others. I find the Schimmels have a particular timbre in the mid range that is instantly recognizable, even on recordings (in fact, I have not played or even heard one in person). That the Fridolin Schimmel has that same sound is testimony, I guess, to the fact that the Fridolin is a genuine Schimmel, even despite its being manufactured in China. (Cf., for example, the 182 Schimmel grand on this Piano Works recording [lovely playing, too, Sam!] with the Fridolin 130 on this Merriam Music recording. Listen especially to the notes above and below Middle C. Schimmel C182T:
Fridolin F130:
). I guess scale design, when faithfully executed, contributes hugely to a piano's distinctive sound.

I really, really wanted to audition the Fridolin, but it is not available here in Korea at this point in time. Schimmel in Germany were very helpful and offered to ship me a model. But that's a fair bit of money to sink into a piano you haven't tried. Perhaps one can be disappointed with the real thing after hearing a recording, although it was the opposite with the Seiler: it has a warmer, richer sound that any of the YouTube recordings would suggest.

I'm not sure if I can identify a particular Seiler sound, however. Perhaps others with more experience with Seilers can?

P.S. I notice that I didn't include a picture higher up on the case of my piano, where one can see the same kind of design repeated. I've added that picture now (http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre.../42/Number/3202291/what/showgallery.html).

P.P.S. I mentioned in the original post how the sound of the piano seems different from day to day. Today the piano seemed to sound better—and feel better—than it did yesterday! Strange.

Last edited by kiwiinkorea; 03/20/22 06:07 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Kiwi
Congrats on the beautiful new piano! Enjoy

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations, Kiwi! I suspect that as you and your piano continue to get to know each other, you will make little adjustments to your playing such that you like the piano more and more of the time, and have less of those days where you scratch your head. If you do want to see more discussion and get more opinions, you may think about reposting to the main piano forum rather than this sub forum. More people will see it there.
With regard to the thick chords, I do think it’s possible that the tuning will help a lot. I had my piano tuned recently, and the things with thick chords and lots of different/moving harmonies sounded much much better after tuning. The other thought for this would be related to pedaling, and it may be that you want to back off or change the pedaling more frequently? The damping on different pianos can be quite different, and maybe what worked on your old piano (especially if you were mostly playing with the mute pedal) is going to need to be adjusted to get the effect you want.
The piano looks beautiful, and thanks so much for sharing!

K
OP Offline
K
Oh Sgisela, I didn't realize I had posted on a sub forum. Thanks for the tip; I will repost it now. And thanks to all those who have replied so far.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Regarding Fridolen Schimmel, I presume yes it a Schimmel or rather as ir says "designed by Schimmel" (near the right hand side of the fallboard.(cheakblock)
https://cooperpiano.com/pianos/upright-pianos/fridolin-schimmel-upright/

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason Farrell
by Robertle - 07/01/22 08:57 PM
Bichord damper not damping
by Alto - 07/01/22 07:21 PM
Reshaping hammers by gang filing
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 07:13 PM
Regarding hammer swing test
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 06:59 PM
Kawai NV5 sustain pedal problem
by John Dean - 07/01/22 05:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,769
Posts3,204,765
Members105,692
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission