2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I seem to recall having read about English language books on classical piano music with attention to individual works. For the life of me, I can't find the names of those. I wonder whether some of you may be aware of such books.

I have a German one by Klaus Wolters (which includes his own difficulty ratings for very many works) and there exist two further ones in German: "Reclams Klaviermusikführer" and "Harenberg Klaviermusikführer", but these both seem to be out of print. Surely there must be a number of similar books in English?

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I just came upon the name of one of them: "Pianists Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature" by Jane Magrath. If anyone has experience with this one, please chime in! smile

Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for those links, dogperson. Yes, there is also the Hinson book, which Sam mentions using.

B
BDB Offline
B
Hutcheson and Ganz: The Literature of the Piano.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Hutcheson and Ganz: The Literature of the Piano.

Thanks for that suggestion. I found a (somewhat error afflicted) OCR'ed version on the internet, and it looks interesting (highly opinionated, but that's quite fine by me).

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The Hinson book is probably the most comprehensive. He has passed on now, but the latest edition has a new co-author, so it is continuing to e updated. Of course, if you don't need the latest edition, the older editions are still great, and available used. The Magrath book is for "teaching" literature, so it does not include more difficult pieces.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
The Hinson book is probably the most comprehensive. He has passed on now, but the latest edition has a new co-author, so it is continuing to e updated. Of course, if you don't need the latest edition, the older editions are still great, and available used. The Magrath book is for "teaching" literature, so it does not include more difficult pieces.

Sam

Thanks, Sam! Even the German Wolters book refers to Hinson's book when it comes to American composers (where Wolters is a bit thin on the ground). Unfortunately, it is very expensive over here in physical form, but interestingly the Kindle version is rather inexpensive ...

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Sam

Thanks, Sam! Even the German Wolters book refers to Hinson's book when it comes to American composers (where Wolters is a bit thin on the ground). Unfortunately, it is very expensive over here in physical form, but interestingly the Kindle version is rather inexpensive ...

My copy has 1169 pages. Just printing it would be expensive. It is really astounding how much work went into producing this book. And how much knowledge Hinson had of the piano literature. The first printing was in the 1980s - so the book was probably first conceived using index cards, pen and notebook, and typewriters.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am looking at Hinson's book, but I find the text remarkably unspecific. For instance, Schumann, Unpublished Pieces from Album for the Young "Contains seventeen pieces originally intended for Op.68. Some are surprisingly fine, while others are not up to the standards of those included in the original collection." Why not say which pieces are suprisingly fine and which ones are not up to the standards?

Still, of course, what Sam says is also very true.

It is really astounding how much work went into producing this book. And how much knowledge Hinson had of the piano literature.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I’m thinking about getting the Magrath book but the main criticism is that it does not provide a way to find pieces by level. Did anybody create a spreadsheet to allow easy lookup by level? Does the Hinson provide that?

Online Content
Originally Posted by Animisha
I am looking at Hinson's book, but I find the text remarkably unspecific. For instance, Schumann, Unpublished Pieces from Album for the Young "Contains seventeen pieces originally intended for Op.68. Some are surprisingly fine, while others are not up to the standards of those included in the original collection." Why not say which pieces are suprisingly fine and which ones are not up to the standards?
I can think of several reasons. To save space. Not wanting to take the time to make judgements about 17 pieces. Most probably, Hinson thought that amount of detail was not important. When one is discussing thousands of pieces, one has to sometimes make the decision to be brief, especially on the less significant pieces.

Online Content
The second half of David Dubal's The Art of the Piano contains 300 pages about the main pieces in the piano literature. The first 400 pages are about great pianists, past and present.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I can think of several reasons. To save space. Not wanting to take the time to make judgements about 17 pieces. Most probably, Hinson thought that amount of detail was not important. When one is discussing thousands of pieces, one has to sometimes make the decision to be brief, especially on the less significant pieces.

Sam
Would you mind looking at the Magrath book regarding these same pieces? Since it is a teaching reference, there might be more detail

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The second half of David Dubal's The Art of the Piano contains 300 pages about the main pieces in the piano literature. The first 400 pages are about great pianists, past and present.

Thanks for that! I had never heard of that book.

S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
I also agree with the pianoloverus suggestion of the Dubal book.

I refer to this book all the time when looking for new pieces to explore. The descriptions are brief, but give you a general gist of the piece as well as technical demands.

There are also suggested recordings which I also find quite useful.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Sam
Would you mind looking at the Magrath book regarding these same pieces? Since it is a teaching reference, there might be more detail

The unpublished from op 68? She has a short description of 3,10, and 16. All she says about 3 is that it is a copy of 68/8.

No book can cover every piece, especially unpublished ones. If you are really interested in something, find a copy, play through them, and make your own judgements.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No book can cover every piece, especially unpublished ones. If you are really interested in something, find a copy, play through them, and make your own judgements.

Of course. But we could make a Wikipedia of Piano pieces, and then everybody could contribute by writing about the pieces they know.

However, imagine the discussions... This piece is a true hidden gem.... Object. It is utterly boring.
Still, such a great project it would be. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Of course. But we could make a Wikipedia of Piano pieces, and then everybody could contribute by writing about the pieces they know.

However, imagine the discussions... This piece is a true hidden gem.... Object. It is utterly boring.

YES, to all of the above! smile

Online Content
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
[quote=Sam S]No book can cover every piece, especially unpublished ones. If you are really interested in something, find a copy, play through them, and make your own judgements.

For starters, this has already been done by Hinson to a depth(over 1000 pages) that few people would want to go. But more importantly, I think for something like this to have much meaning, the people writing about each piece have to have great knowledge of the piano literature and a very high level of playing skill. Otherwise, it's just the opinion of some random internet poster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission