2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (80k, BMKE, Alan F, Bett, Carey, belcanto89, 15 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3204556 03/28/22 05:09 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I have read that the (tr) sign in sheet music is a trill which means changing fast two notes. My question is: which notes should I play as a trill in the following example, how many times, how fast:
https://ibb.co/GPmmNq

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Your link is not working, at least not for me. Trills involve 2 notes - the written note and the upper note. In Baroque music, you generally start on the upper note. Sometime after 1750 or so, the style switched to starting on the lower note. There is no definite date when this happened. Usually trills are "measured", meaning you play some number of notes that fits in time. What you do is really up to you. Are you taking an exam? Then you probably have to play what is expected. Is it important to you to play in the correct historical style? Then stick to the appropriate style.

Ultimately though - does it sound good to you? That is what is important. Smooth, no hesitations or obvious irregularities, one note is not louder than the other, one note is not longer than the other...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for your answer. The song is G major Menuet, KV 1 from Mozart
I try to reupload the image:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by trickybilly; 03/28/22 11:20 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That's very early Mozart. - what was he - 5 years old? I would start on the upper note.

Here are some options:

six notes. F# E F# E F# E
six notes including turn. F# E F# E D E
eight notes. F# E F# E F# E F# E
eight notes including turn. F# E F# E F# E D E

All of these take one beat, going to the D on the next beat. Use a metronome to make sure you aren't taking too much time.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Ha! I'm working on this piece right now and this particular trill is a challenge for me as well (to bring it up to the tempo I want). Following my teacher's suggestion, I'm playing it as:

E F# E F# E D E

I like how it sounds this way. I'm using the metronome to help me fit these notes inside one beat. The first 4 notes fit into the first half of the beat, and the turn into the second half (kind a like a triplet, so they're more spaced out).

Fingering: I started with 2 3 2 3 2 1 2, but then switched to 2 4 2 4 2 1 2 and it feels *much* more comfortable.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Talao
I am far from an Mozart expert, nor a trill historian, but I was taught that for early Mozart the trill begins on the upper note; the explanation is that he followed the instructions of C.P.E. Bach. In later Mozart, it begins on the primary note. Of course, I can be very wrong! Did you discuss trill conventions with your teacher?

P.S. this is why I play a lot of Romantic music 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would play eight notes with a turn: F# E F# E F# E D E with fingers 3-2-3-2-3-2-1-3 (preparing for the D with 2). If eight notes is too much then you can do six. I would stay with an even number so that it's easy to measure (either two groups of four or two groups of three).

Originally Posted by dogperson
I am far from an Mozart expert, nor a trill historian, but I was taught that for early Mozart the trill begins on the upper note; the explanation is that he followed the instructions of C.P.E. Bach. In later Mozart, it begins on the primary note. Of course, I can be very wrong! Did you discuss trill conventions with your teacher?
You can also do a suspension of the previous note that goes into the trill but that wouldn't work here because the previous note is staccato.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I would play eight notes with a turn: F# E F# E F# E D E with fingers 3-2-3-2-3-2-1-3 (preparing for the D with 2). If eight notes is too much then you can do six. I would stay with an even number so that it's easy to measure (either two groups of four or two groups of three).

You can also do a suspension of the previous note that goes into the trill but that wouldn't work here because the previous note is staccato.

Thanks but I’m not sure I made my question clear so let me try again:

Does the beginning note change, depending on whether it is an early opt late Mozart work?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks but I’m not sure I made my question clear so let me try again:

Does the beginning note change, depending on whether it is an early opt late Mozart work?
I'm not sure about that. I was just adding to your explanation as I have seen trills written out like that in RCM books. Probably Sidokar will now chime in with a detailed explanation of the historical evolution of the trill. wink

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not sure about that. I was just adding to your explanation as I have seen trills written out like that in RCM books. Probably Sidokar will now chime in with a detailed explanation of the historical evolution of the trill. wink

I can chime in, if someone is interested.
smile

Blüthner model 6
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sidokar

smile

Thanks much for your offer. Your knowledge would be much appreciated

Talao

The only trill convention we spoke of so far was the "start on the beat" vs "start before the beat" for short ornaments like mordents. When I asked him about this trill, he played the piece himself and told me to play it the way I described. He has a DMA in piano performance, so I usually do not think twice when he tells me to do certain things certain ways. This, of course, doesn't mean he's never wrong and he could very well be wrong here. It's sounding like the thread is converging to starting on the F#. I'll bring this up with him in our next lesson. I was getting so good at this trill starting on the E. Darn it! :-)

Talão

I have the Henle Urtext edition of this piece and it doesn't have a staccato dot.

Talão

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Talão
Talao

The only trill convention we spoke of so far was the "start on the beat" vs "start before the beat" for short ornaments like mordents. When I asked him about this trill, he played the piece himself and told me to play it the way I described. He has a DMA in piano performance, so I usually do not think twice when he tells me to do certain things certain ways. This, of course, doesn't mean he's never wrong and he could very well be wrong here. It's sounding like the thread is converging to starting on the F#. I'll bring this up with him in our next lesson. I was getting so good at this trill starting on the E. Darn it! :-)

It would be much appreciated if you would ask. This is something I rremember ftom several years ago— but my memory or the information could be faulty. 😊

Question for the group: does the fact that we are coming to the trill from the F# (which appears to be the recommended starting note) have any influence on the trill's starting note?

I played it both ways just now and I don't have a clear preference in terms of beauty to my ears.

Talão

It would be much appreciated if you would ask. This is something I rremember ftom several years ago— but my memory or the information could be faulty. 😊

I'm happy to ask. I'll report what he says here. My next lesson is this Friday.

Talão

B
B
Question for the group: does the fact that we are coming to the trill from the F# (which appears to be the recommended starting note) have any influence on the trill's starting note?
Normally, when coming to a trill from the note above (the auxiliary note), it's better to start it from the principal note rather than repeat the auxiliary note again immediately. I agree with your teacher here.

If the trill was approached from any other note in Mozart, I'd play it starting from the auxiliary note.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

I played it both ways just now and I don't have a clear preference in terms of beauty to my ears.

It does but it also depends on the context. Here it is a cadential trill and there isnt any melodic issue, so i would start on F sharp. The dots and the slurs are editorial and are editor suggestions.

Blüthner model 6
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar

smile

Thanks much for your offer. Your knowledge would be much appreciated

Thank you for asking. Here are a few elements.

The baroque period is a very long one over 150 years. In that period there has been a number of different ways to play the trill. There are numerous ways to vary it and there are different trills, short or long, prepared, accelerating, with a stop, with a termination, ….

There is no consistent and unique way to start the trill in the baroque music. It depends on the exact period, country and composer.

Though it is true that toward the end of the baroque, typically end of the 17th century and first half of 18th, there is a consistent trend to start with the upper note. Which is what CPE Bach exposed in his treatise. That was largely under the influence of French keyboard practice, but there are a number of documented cases, though not the majority, where starting the trill with the main note is better or using a prep note played in anticipation of the beat.

Mozart was trained by his father. The influence of CPE Bach is not really obvious, unlike Haydn who we know was following his direction. For example, CPE Bach does use very often the turned trill sign (chevron and turn underneath) which Haydn also uses occasionally but which Mozart never used.

So, in his early years, the best is to look at what Leopold Mozart explained in his Violinschule published in 1756 and which had a considerable success. Leopold Mozart is following a lot of the Italien ornamental practice like the one of Tartini or Geminiani.

So, in general Mozart style owns a great deal to the Italian cantabile, unlike CPE BACH or other german composers who have a more harmonic heritage from Bach father. Mozart has a very vocal and melodic way of writing, like Chopin later on.

The trills and other ornaments must be decided based on that melodic continuity. In general, for the very young Mozart (5 to 8 years) the trill would start on the upper note. The music being fairly simple, that is a rather reliable rule, even if there are probably some exceptions.

Later on, Mozart has been influenced by his time, so certainly went away from his father teaching and evolved his practice according to the practice of musicians around him.

The trend to start the trill with the main note seems to pick up around circa 1775, where a number of italien treatises come back to the old Italian vocal legacy. It then starts to generalize in other countries but most experts would agree that both ways coexisted for a long time. Even Chopin who followed Clementi approach still uses trills which can start with the upper note or the main note depending on the case, when on the other hand Czerny trills almost always start on the main note.

For Mozart, we dont have any written documents that describe directly his point of view, so we are limited to study what most common treatises of the time say as well as his compositions where occasionally he would explicitely write the trill.

The outcome is that it is fair to consider that the basic short trill can start on the upper note or the main note. The upper note would probably be the most common case, but maybe not as frequently as with CPE Bach. Main note trill makes sense in a number of situations when there are appogiaturas (small notes), or descending stepwise motion. Like for Chopin it is essential to keep the cantabile melodic line rather than disrupt it with a dissonance. Cadential trills are usually started on the upper auxilliary, assuming it is the dissonant note. For long trills if nothing is indicated, I could start them on the main note with possibly a stop and a termination.

Blüthner model 6
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sidokar
Thanks very much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bösendorfer 225 from the Chromatic Vortex
by James Gordon - 06/27/22 06:03 PM
Replacing fallboard decal
by Acceber - 06/27/22 03:44 PM
Your "Best Digital Piano" Opinion Requested
by IraBob - 06/27/22 02:18 PM
Yamaha rant
by WTF Bach - 06/27/22 01:58 PM
Crowdsourcing Fingerings and Solutions
by Papa D - 06/27/22 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,698
Posts3,203,783
Members105,659
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission