2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (clothearednincompo, AJB, aguia77, Burkhard, aliaksej, Dfrankjazz, CharlesXX, bxrdad1, Animisha, 11 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
i've owned the p515 and sold it for an es920.

After having both for some time, i think the sound is way better on the es920 (sk concert grand) .

The action rh3 is smoother than nwx, but only thing is, i notice it is little unbalanced as in, the keys are little heavier , when very close to the fallboard. Although this is only noticeable when doing arppegois, otherwise , all in all, es920 is more enjoyable to play.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jlovespiano
i've owned the p515 and sold it for an es920.

After having both for some time, i think the sound is way better on the es920 (sk concert grand)

Liking the sound very much is a very nice situation. The sounds from both the ES920 and P-515 are very nice indeed. So far, I've only been using the P-515 with the onboard speakers (and head-phones too) - with the default settings, and it sounds absolutely excellent to my ears. And that's not even using external monitor speakers. I'm flexible with sound quality. In most cases, as long as the instrument makes a sound and functioning ok ----- I'll happily play it.

P
P
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by SouthPark
True ----- the official sweetwater music store site indeed says :

Kawai has temporarily suspended production on this piano until July 2022. Sweetwater expects this piano to be available some time in late Q3 2022.

I wonder if it would be better for Kawai to suspend production ‘on this piano’ permanently, and start working on the release of a proper upgrade to the ES8; namely, the ES9!

You still have a chance to get things right, Kawai; we all make mistakes (ES-920), and there is no shame in self-correcting and admitting one’s mistakes (DG-30).

If you don’t believe me, look at Apple and the debacle that was the ‘trash can’; at some point they admitted, “we screwed up,” apologized for this monstrosity and rectified!

Rectify, I say!

The ES920 is really a good DP and not a mistake. It has features that you don't value, but others do. We enjoy it really much and it is a perfect match for now. It would be really interesting to see the number of sales of the es920.

You are right that almost 2 years production stop is quite difficult for a digital piano. But Who knows.
I wonder if that is the only DP that kawai has halted the productions.

Maybe it could be valuable for Kawai to have you on their payroll...

Last edited by playplayplay; 03/31/22 04:32 AM.
C
C
The Kawai ES920 is a great piano. I have that and the ES8, and since I’m my own roadie, the ES920 is my gigging instrument. No complaints.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
Originally Posted by SouthPark
True ----- the official sweetwater music store site indeed says :

Kawai has temporarily suspended production on this piano until July 2022. Sweetwater expects this piano to be available some time in late Q3 2022.

Very Interesting! I wonder why I didn't see it on Thomann for a while, the product page itself was deleted along with all user comment and feedback.
Q3 2022 is CRAZY though... nobody would wait that long if they just wanna play

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Chummy
Very Interesting! I wonder why I didn't see it on Thomann for a while, the product page itself was deleted along with all user comment and feedback.
Q3 2022 is CRAZY though... nobody would wait that long if they just wanna play

True chummy. Know what you mean! I read online somewhere that the shortage of the instrument production was due to a shortage in integrated circuit/chips.

Makes sense. Those higher end models sell much less so that'd be a logical reason to cut the 920 and not the ES110/520 for instance. Most ppl who come to a music store look for a beginner or inexpensive keyboard. and the ES110 provides a very good value for the $ , they sell in quantities..

Originally Posted by Gustavor90
Good Day,

Currently own a new Kawai GL10 baby grand piano and a Kawai ES520 digital piano. I also have a Yamaha P255 that I don't really use. I am thinking of upgrading from the Kawai ES520 to either a YAMAHA P515 or a KAWAI ES920. Which would you recommend and what would be the reasoning behind it? Would be use for church and a YOUTUBE channel

Thank you

BTW OP why would you want to upgrade from the 520 to the 920 (or 515)? IMO the resell value is not worth it especially for how little you're gonna gain by upgrading a board with an already solid action that has basically 95% of the sounds of its bigger brother. and the 520 is a tad bit lighter too.. it's perfect for you to take to church unless you're using organ/brass/synth sounds which seems to me that you don't since you were looking at 515/920 models in the first place.

I'd say sell the P255 if you're not using it, and wait for a worthy upgrade... or buy a keyboard that doesn't overlap with what you already have

G
OP Offline
G
So I ended up getting the Yamaha P515 and now have a Kawai GL10, Kawai ES520, Yamaha P515 and P255. I need to sell the P255 and decide if I keep the P515 or the ES520. I like the action more on the Yamaha P515 so far tho. Wish I had an ES920 to compare. Do you know a good place to sell the Yamaha P255? So far none of the actions come close to the KAWAI GL10 I have tho.

K
Online Content
K
I'm not biased or anything whistle, but keep es520, because p515 is too stiff. I like the 920, but it's a hair slower and heavier. I don't like the letoff on the 920, it's not even feeling across all the keys.

pete14 dialing up his assassins as we speak.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 04/26/22 11:12 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gustavor90
Good Day,

Currently own a new Kawai GL10 baby grand piano and a Kawai ES520 digital piano. I also have a Yamaha P255 that I don't really use. I am thinking of upgrading from the Kawai ES520 to either a YAMAHA P515 or a KAWAI ES920. Which would you recommend and what would be the reasoning behind it? Would be use for church and a YOUTUBE channel

Thank you

I'm not sure to recommend either to you.
The RHIII is a great action; however, you play a GL10 baby grand.
A better option for you---if you must have slab---would be an MP11SE or VPC1.

Both these actions are technically better than the RHIII and NWX actions: in theory, you might prefer playing the Grand Feel action or RM3 grand II.

I would however give these models a test drive to see what you really prefer (along with the FP90X).

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
A
A
I really like my P515. It is a little stiffer than other pianos I own but I have no trouble going between the p515 and my nu1x or bechstein grand. For the money, it really is a great practice instrument. CFX sample sounds great through headphones.

Working on:
Bach Preludes and Fugues (Assorted)
Beethoven Appassionata Sonata
Chopin Scherzo #3

Practicing on:
Yamaha NU1X
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
S
S
I recently bought the ES920 and have been playing it happily for about a week now. I tested the P515 two times at different stores and I just could not get used to that action all – it felt really awful to me. Maybe after some time it would grow on me but as soon as I tried the ES920 it was a totally positive experience from the get go. The speakers are a lot clearer on the 920 too; the P515s sounded rather muddy and flat to me. I was, however, impressed with the Bosendorfer sample.

Last edited by steve2603; 04/26/22 05:10 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting in that no independent pro reviewer ever mentioned that the P-515 sounds muddy and/or flat, or had issues with the sound or sound quality. It definitely doesn't sound muddy and/or flat when I listen to it. And I have very good hearing.

S
S
It could be the environment I played them in, both fairly big storehouses. I’m sure it sounds wonderful with headphones.

Have you heard it in person? It just didn’t sound impressive to me, and that’s compared to when I played the 920 with an acoustic drum kit right in front of it so the drums kept vibrating lol

But the speakers on the 920 & other newer models are usually fitted using the whole of the back compared to the P515s left and right set up, no? That surely makes a difference.

Last edited by steve2603; 04/26/22 06:39 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by steve2603
Have you heard it in person? It just didn’t sound impressive to me, and that’s compared to when I played the 920 with an acoustic drum kit right in front of it so the drums kept vibrating lol

I like to tinker on a P-515 almost every day. I bought a second one approximately six months after my first one. I just use it with default settings all of the time, and I just switch between onboard speakers and headphones.

I played the P515 and loved it, the action is just a joy to play, I'd say more responsive than the PHA50 (FP90X) I compared side by side, although loved the shape and extra features of the latter better..

You have to be careful when trying pianos because sometimes you switch them on and start to play without paying attention to what settings are in there (i.e. key touch level) since other people have been playing and changing them before you, it happened to me when I first tried the P515 hated the touch and found it mega heavy, some months later tried it somewhere else and it played like charm, I realized that the key touch setting were changed in the previous one, same like they were in some of the other pianos I tried in the second store.

I learnt to check the velocity settings before trying anything in the stores, they're often changed to 55, 60, 40... which sometimes makes a big big difference.

My 2 cents

Kawai CA97
Pianoteq 7 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
K
Online Content
K
the action on 515 feels about right when you play with the highest volume. this is around how loud acoustics are, so it feels appropriate. but at lower volume, that 85g feels way too cumbersome. we also have different density in music where it may be impractical to use a heavier action. another thread mentioned there are no dampers in digital piano, so the dynamic weight is not there the keys are too heavy to hold.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 04/27/22 07:37 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by APianistHasNoName
I really like my P515. It is a little stiffer than other pianos I own but I have no trouble going between the p515 and my nu1x or bechstein grand. For the money, it really is a great practice instrument. CFX sample sounds great through headphones.

This might be a good opportunity to gather info about the nu1x here.

Does the nu1x really have the hiss noise and also the abrupt or loud note syndrome when playing trills? I don't play trills so it wouldn't impact negatively on me.

I just read previous forum posts about the speaker hiss even at low volume settings .... and the unexpected loud note thing, which is reported to not occur for the n1x.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
If your church is anything like the one's we have in the UK, there is probably a PA system. Another option: something like the MP7SE would be really useful in a church... so many church organ settings---many of them very good.
With layering ability, it would make a much more versitile instrument that you could use in a church band setting. Also, the MP7SE can be picked up for around the same price as the ES920 (and cheaper than the P515/FP90X), but has so much more going for it from a Church perspective..

The MP11SE of course has a better action for a pianist; however, it's a lot more money and you don't get as versatile an instrument for the extra cost: just less functions and a nicer action.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,720
Posts3,204,070
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission