2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (bxrdad1, Animisha, beeboss, aliaksej, clothearednincompo, busa, 36251, 7 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by LELES
Look what the site says about the s920: Premium audio technologies, Powered by Onkyo
Developed in collaboration with Onkyo, one of Japan's leading manufacturers of premium audio equipment, the ES920 features a redesigned motherboard, amplifier and audio delivery system. These premium components combine to deliver the best-in-class audio quality, producing extremely rich, clear sound with minimal distortion.
That is just marketing content. The sound system of the ES920 is not high end. You can buy some powered monitors for $250-300/pair that will have superior audio performance.

What I feel is exactly what the mp7es have more distortion. In exaggerated terms and as if the mp7es were a tape and the s920 a CD.
The MP7SE does not have audible distortion. It does not even include an amplifier and speaker system. You can hook it up to an ampllifier and speakers of whatever quality you like. If I owned an ES920 I would not even use the builtin speakers.

The only thing that would cause me to prefer the sound of pianos in the ES920 is if the samples are larger with longer sustain before looping kicked in. The builtin speakers of the ES920 would only be an added bonus that I would not use very often.

C
C
I completely disagree. I’ve got some decent 5-inch Tannoy studio monitors, and the ES920 internal speakers sound better. They’re good enough that I use them with no additional PA at a lot of acoustic gigs, even in pretty big concert halls. And when I’m playing a gig with a PA the internal speakers are better than floor wedge monitors. Any “looping” artifacts are not noticeable when playing actual music. The ES920 is a great instrument as is, with its internal voices and speakers. Adding extra cables, computers, VSTs, and external speakers is a lot of hassle for nearly zero musical benefit. Spend your time playing music, not diddling with hardware.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I completely disagree. I’ve got some decent 5-inch Tannoy studio monitors, and the ES920 internal speakers sound better. They’re good enough that I use them with no additional PA at a lot of acoustic gigs, even in pretty big concert halls. And when I’m playing a gig with a PA the internal speakers are better than floor wedge monitors. Any “looping” artifacts are not noticeable when playing actual music. The ES920 is a great instrument as is, with its internal voices and speakers. Adding extra cables, computers, VSTs, and external speakers is a lot of hassle for nearly zero musical benefit. Spend your time playing music, not diddling with hardware.

Tannoy is not a good monitor speaker. My Behringer truth crushes CLP-735 in terms of sound quality and loudness.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know that are models with different proposals, but as for sound quality, you think the es920 sounds much better than mp7es, since it had some improvement as new chip, motherboard and collaboration of onkyo.

I thought I might have someone here on the forum who had tried both instruments side by side to give an opinion

In my case it matters, Because I was going to buy an MP7es, because I prefer the functionality of it and the fact of having more voices but when I compared the audio samples available audio on kawai's website I found that the Es920 It does make much better.

What I feel is exactly what the mp7es have more distortion. In exaggerated terms and as if the mp7es were a tape and the s920 a CD.

At face value, it can be argued you’ve answered your main question - ES920 or MP7?

One of the reasons why a given person’s YMMV so often varies is that there is usually more than what meets the eyes …. and ears …. and fingers …. and etc than what is perceived during initial impressions.

I think many of us could agree that since the ES920 is a newer design, it might sound somewhat different …. maybe better than a SE model MP7, but i would not expect there to be a noticeably big difference between the two. On the other hand, it seems as though you/your ears did detect a big difference. Since we all have different ears, maybe this is enough to explain the differences you heard between these two …. but maybe not, maybe there are other reasons, such as, how, exactly, did Kawai make the recordings you compared?

This ties in with your hope to find side-by-side comparison. At face value, I think it is impractical and possibly impossible to provide a realistic, apples-to-apples, side-by-side comparison of these 2 DPs. Logically, the most likely mode to compare would be what they both sound like through headphones or perhaps through the same pair of studio monitors. ES920 has headphone-specific sound features, MP7 does not BUT it has a lot if sound-effects features/controllers etc to further make a side-by-side comparison flawed by default.

This gets to another aspect you noticed …. MP7 sounds “distorted” …. as though a tape recording …. but ES920 sounded like “CD “ quality…? Again, i would not expect to hear this big of a difference, but you did, either because maybe this is how your ears work, or maybe this was influenced by the the way in which the AV “youtubes” were produced to work …. ? Either way, since some people like distorted sound, the effects and controllers in the MP7 allow you to make wide adjustments from dry to dripping wet sound effects …. and the MP7 effectively has several amps built-in, to include Suitcase, MStack, JCombo and FBass 🙂

Last edited by drewr; 04/05/22 10:41 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,720
Posts3,204,062
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission