2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (CentauriB, Adypiano, Animisha, bwv543, Charles Cohen, AndrewJCW, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 394 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3207125 04/06/22 04:46 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all!

I am looking for a digital keyboard for my apartment. Someone is selling the Yamaha P-515 with the 3 pedal stand, no bench, for $1150, is this a good deal on a minimally used piano?

I have never bought second-hand before, do you all recommend it? Anything specific I should look for when I view it?

Or should I just splurge the extra $500 and get a new one?

Thank you for your input!

D
D
If you were to buy a new one, the prices listed just for the piano itself are $1599. Then you would still have buy the stand AND the three pedal piece to attach to the stand - they are sold separately. So the actual cost of a new one with stand and pedals would be closer to $1800. That said, if the piano is in good condition it might be good for your current situation and pocket book.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Purchasing used can be hit or miss for sure. Sometimes - depending on what information you have - you can get some sort of estimate about the chances of everything being fine - at least for a long time (if the purchase is made). Just check out the condition of it ------ any nicks or bumps, scratched up etc. Not that it always matters ----- but it is information too obviously.

True ----- the 3 pedal stand most likely requires the yamaha custom bench for convenience of integrating pedal with the P-515. And the P-515 typically comes with the single damper/sustain pedal ------ the one that doesn't half-pedaling (which probably doesn't matter too much for many people). The FC3A (a different pedal) has half-pedal function that is compatible with the P-515, which can be purchased at any time.

C
C
Sounds like a great deal to me. Especially since it can take a while to order a new one, if it's not immediately in stock. Make sure it turns on and plays...

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoman512
Hello all!

I am looking for a digital keyboard for my apartment. Someone is selling the Yamaha P-515 with the 3 pedal stand, no bench, for $1150, is this a good deal on a minimally used piano?

I have never bought second-hand before, do you all recommend it? Anything specific I should look for when I view it?

Or should I just splurge the extra $500 and get a new one?

Thank you for your input!

Depends.
If it's practically unused, it's ok.
If it's battered, then no.
Bear in mind that there is a story the seller has, and you want to understand the motive behind the sale, how old it is, how often they play it, what work has been done to it, whether there are pets in the house/smokers living there, etc.

You will want to know in advance how to operate it, and thoroughly test whilst you're there.

Look for notes next to each other with totally different weighting; clicks or strange noises on key press; any resonances coming through the speaker grill; and artifacts such as dropped notes, etc.

Check for visual damage, have a look underneath too.

Bear in mind that this is an old piano now: will be replaced in a year or two. The used value will drop then. Take with you a pen drive containing the latest firmware---check to see if it's loaded when you get there.

Check that the ports work. Check the outputs and inputs, any USB inputs/outputs, and, check headphone output works.

Last edited by Doug M.; 04/06/22 05:49 PM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
T
T
This could be a great deal. I sold mine for $1200 on eBay, with everything included.

As others said, check for damage and make sure all the ports, outputs, inputs, & connections work. And keep in mind the risk inherent in buying used: no warranty, potential for issues later, things may not work intermittently and may have worked while you tested it. Remember, it’s essentially an as-in sale. However, if everything works and you get a good vibe from the seller and think they took really good care of it, then go for it. Digitals can last a very long time if well-cared for.

Otherwise, if things aren’t working, if it looks bad and hasn’t been maintained, or if the seller doesn’t give the vibe of someone who really cares for their devices, then go for the new.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for the response! How would I check the latest firmware?

Also is there any news on a newer model coming out? I haven't been able to find anything.

Last edited by pianoman512; 04/13/22 12:22 PM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You just push the 'function' button a few times, until you get to the 'system' menu. Then use the up or down buttons to scroll to the 'utility' option. And then use the right-arrow button to get into the utility area, where the up or down can be used to scroll to the option could 'version'. And once the 'version' label is highlighted, then just push the right-arrow button in order to get the version information to show up, such as 'v1.04'.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I sold my 515 for about the same, complete, without the seat mainly because I wanted it shifted and a new one installed with the minimum of fuss. A charming lady bought it, just when the pandemic was making itself felt. I usually sell quite cheaply; since there's no warranty and of course, it's been used. And over the period I have these things, it can be a very cheap hobby/facility.
I guess I could run with that philosophy, and purchse a high-ender .. . . . . .
Nah. Too mean by far.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Also is there any news on a newer model coming out? I haven't been able to find anything.

No.
The market for digital pianos and live music has been heavily hit by the situation with microchip shortage, shipping back-logs, and poor levels of productivity in covid hit factories.
Basically, we've been expecting a host of new instruments which haven't yet panned out. There has been no news.
We're just all hoping that the sector recovers in due course.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Wouldn't worry too much. If one came out, the action would be so light (we love to complain about how heavy it is, and crusty too) and it wold have no crusty feel to it.
Bit like a Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie but without the puff-pastry lid on it. Who on earth would buy one o' those?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

Wouldn't worry too much. If one came out, the action would be so light (we love to complain about how heavy it is, and crusty too) and it wold have no crusty feel to it.
Bit like a Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie but without the puff-pastry lid on it. Who on earth would buy one o' those?

I would forget the snipeing and focus on what you want.
The used value being asked for is not the value you're going to buy the instrument for.
What you do is you...
1) First get the story about why it's being sold.
2) Then you enquire about the environment where the instrument is living
3) Ask has it been gigged with
4) You ask if there has been any work done on it in the past, and if there are any physical or functional defects
5) You decide on that basis if you want to go test the model
6) You test the model.
---If it's in tip top condition and feels good to play
And
---If it sounds just great to your ears
And
---If it plays better than alternative models you've tested in the store and in your friends house
Then
***you say: "I do like this instrument and I'm interested in buying it... What's the best price you can do for me?"

That last bit is important: you're offering to give them money there and then for the instrument, they're almost there....They just need to give you a better price than that offered.
How much better?
The best thing is, most people have a lowest price in mind, and they want the sale. So, you'll likely get it for their lowest option.
If the price drop is less than £50, you let out a audible: "hmmm....that leaves me with a choice"... If they were hedging their bets, they might then drop to their lowest sale price.

Last edited by Doug M.; 04/13/22 06:06 PM.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I mostly agree with Doug, excepting, “I do like the instrument and I’m interested in buying it….what’s the best price you can do for me?”

First of all, we never show our cards, so you have to be cool and act as if you’re doing the seller a favor by getting this “half-decent” piano off his hands.

Second, you make him an offer he can’t refuse, but never ask “what’s the best price you can do?” Why? because at this very moment he will catch your bluff and know you don’t have a royal flush; he will then go “all in” and kill you on the price.

Third, if for some unknown reason he does ‘refuse’ your offer, simply wave him off and walk towards the front door as confidently, cool, and collected as you first walked in……….

I assure you he will quickly reconsider and stop you right before you leave, “okay, I accept your offer!”

Let me know how it goes……

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I mostly agree with Doug, excepting, “I do like the instrument and I’m interested in buying it….what’s the best price you can do for me?”

First of all, we never show our cards, so you have to be cool and act as if you’re doing the seller a favor by getting this “half-decent” piano off his hands.

Second, you make him an offer he can’t refuse, but never ask “what’s the best price you can do?” Why? because at this very moment he will catch your bluff and know you don’t have a royal flush; he will then go “all in” and kill you on the price.

Third, if for some unknown reason he does ‘refuse’ your offer, simply wave him off and walk towards the front door as confidently, cool, and collected as you first walked in……….

I assure you he will quickly reconsider and stop you right before you leave, “okay, I accept your offer!”

Let me know how it goes……

Part of it is to make sure you've already checked out the sold listings on Ebay for the used instruments. If you know the range they've sold for and note down the condition status of the listing, then you can get an idea of what it's likely worth.

Without that info, how do you know what's fair and when to choose another option instead?

I'm going off the wheeler Dealer trick of expressing clear interest in the instrument before discussing price. In my opinion, if a person has an attachment to their instrument---which most will---showing you appreciate the instrument is a good thing. Sure you can mention that you've got a few other instruments you're interested in ---just before you test the instrument---so that they can believe you have somewhere else to buy from if the price can't be agreed.

I guess you could take the view that you want a great deal---get the most money off etc. My view is that if an instrument in good condition is offered at above market value, you should be willing to pay within the range of the sold listings on eBay. It's find to mention before you test that you've seen them go on ebay between x and y price. That way, if you find issues in the test, you can offer accordingly.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone ever played this rep?
by DebussyDiva - 08/08/22 01:35 AM
Pick One
by jz112896 - 08/07/22 08:29 PM
Beethoven Op.2/3 Thirds Practice Technique
by babooshka - 08/07/22 06:42 PM
How to practice opening of Beethoven Op.2/3
by babooshka - 08/07/22 05:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,289
Posts3,214,620
Members106,029
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission