2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 5stringbanjo, Bostonmoores, BillBlackwell, AndreaH, 9 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
My current keyboard (61-key yamaha PSR-e363) is a bit too bulky to carry around for short weekend trips or short hotel stays, and I am hoping to find something that is both lighter and smaller and can be packed together with other luggage rather than needing a separate carrying case. It's not going to be used for anything "serious", it's just so that I have something that is better than nothing for easy transportation.

My requirements are:
- Touch sensitive keys (does not need a great resolution) with the correct width.
- 4 full octaves, preferably with as little padding as possible in the ends so it's not wider than it needs to be.
- Preferably built in speakers (which don't have to be great) or at least a headphone jack.
- Not very expensive. (I am fine with something from ebay/amazon and the like, and does not need to be from any of the bigger brands)

I know there are some folding pianos, but those don't seem to be touch sensitive, and often the keys push straight down like a PC keyboard, rather than pivoting down like proper piano keys.

J
J
if you have a mobile phone, i'd suggest you forget about built in speakers and download a suitable app. it will make your possibilities much smaller and lighter. if you take this route, you could consider:

korg microkey 49 which is very small and light but doesn't have full size keys if that matters

useful review against 2 competitors

nektar se49 which does have full size keys

review (mentions the keystation49 in passing and you might want to check that and other competitors too)

thread on ios apps for your phone:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3202969/ios-vst-v-built-in-sounds.html#Post3202969
(some useful app suggestions before the discussion descends into name calling)

thread on android apps for your phone:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...yboard-vsts-for-android.html#Post3113797

EDIT: apologies - i see you mentioned 'correct width' on the keys so korg microkey wouldn't be suitable

Last edited by jackopiano; 04/05/22 07:45 PM.
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The lightest keyboard with 88 weighted keys is arguably the Casio PX-S3000.

It's the closest thing to the touch and feel of an acoustic piano. Some people might find the keyboard too bulky. The next closest is a Yamaha Piaggero NP-32 with 76 keys. It's lighter but the keys are narrower than standard piano keys and not weighted.

For traveling, I have a Clavier Piano at home. It has an 88 soft-touch. Still touch sensitive but a number of tradeoffs already. You get a reasonable sound that isn't exactly the same as a piano. And the keys feel like a rubber band stretching & releasing.

The official site: Clavier Piano
My review:

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Check out 5-octave 4 kg compacts: CTS1, Go:keys, NP12. Or the 3-octave mini-key Reface CP.

> a Clavier Piano
I wouldn't recommend this one, grossly overpriced. Same thing sold for around 130€ named Bora BX20 etc, at least reasonable for the money. But poor touch (for synth keys), poor touch-sensitivity (only 8 irregular levels), poor sound.
There is a more compact foldable 2.5kg variant with 88 short keys.

> Touch sensitive keys (does not need a great resolution)
I didn't know resolution mattered before I got this BX20, but it makes a good VST sound bad, feels poor compared to a cheapo plastic Yamaha PSR. Even when buying a cheapo it is a very good idea to try it in person and compare with others.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jackopiano
if you have a mobile phone, i'd suggest you forget about built in speakers and download a suitable app. it will make your possibilities much smaller and lighter. if you take this route, you could consider:

. . . .

That's my thought, as well. A 4-octave full-size-key keyboard will be a lot for a backpack. I understand why you want it -- I like my full-size-key Roland SH-01 synth considerably better than my my mini-key microKorg XL+.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
C
These are the times I bring along my little accordion, or (as with my trip today) my melodica. Of course, you can't play serious classical literature on either, but if you just want to sit around playing some tunes they work great.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
A
A
I have an Alesis Q49 which I bought to travel with. It's fairly light and can be powered via a mobile phone or tablet, but is possibly a bit big for a backpack.

It's a midi controller rather than a regular piano, so can't be used without the phone/ tablet but is easy to set up and there's plenty of free apps you can use.

It also proved handy today when I was home and the electricity went off for 8 hours.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
[quote=AndyOnThePiano]I have an Alesis Q49 which I bought to travel with. It's fairly light and can be powered via a mobile phone or tablet, but is possibly a bit big for a backpack.

/quote]

5 pounds, 32" wide, and $110 US (Sweetwater). Reasonable trade-offs.

. Charles
M
M
Has anyone used the Yamaha PSSA50? Supposedly same keybed as Reface, built in sound and speakers, and supports USB midi for about $100.

Originally Posted by MoltoDiletante
Has anyone used the Yamaha PSSA50? Supposedly same keybed as Reface, built in sound and speakers, and supports USB midi for about $100.

I have the PSS-F30, which is similar. Just a different rhythm engine, basically. Very satisfied (for what it is).

I've also been chasing after the "backpack keyboard" for the last 5 years or so. There's just nothing out there that fits my requirements. The Roland GO:Keys comes closest, but still too big. I want something that will sit on my lap in the passenger seat of a vehicle, for size reference. With 5 octaves. Can't be much bigger than the keybed itself. I don't think such a thing exists.

Roland RD-2000 / Yamaha EW400 & Electone / lots o' synths
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by OregonJim
. . .
I've also been chasing after the "backpack keyboard" for the last 5 years or so. There's just nothing out there that fits my requirements. The Roland GO:Keys comes closest, but still too big. I want something that will sit on my lap in the passenger seat of a vehicle, for size reference. With 5 octaves. Can't be much bigger than the keybed itself. I don't think such a thing exists.

There's this:

https://www.amazon.ca/midiplus-X6-mini-Controller-white/dp/B01MFHGQOG/

61 keys, 33" (85 cm) wide. Measure your seat; most are narrower than that.

You may be asking for the impossible.

. Charles
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
. . .

There's this:

Unfortunately, that's just a MIDI controller. No sound generator. I'm looking for self-contained with (preferably) normal-sized keys. It's not an impossible product to make, but apparently nobody does. Anyway, thanks for looking - I appreciate it!

. . .

There's this:

Unfortunately, that's just a MIDI controller. No sound generator. I'm looking for self-contained with (preferably) normal-sized keys. It's not an impossible product to make, but apparently nobody does. Anyway, thanks for looking - I appreciate it!

Forgot to mention - 33" x 8" would be ideal (give or take an inch either way) with full size keys, headphone jack, battery power. Speaker(s) optional, but would have to be on the underside due to the size restriction. I don't really care about the thickness too much, but it has to be sturdy enough to stand on its own (no foldables).

I'm not trying to hijack the thread - it's just that the OP and I seem to be searching for a similar product.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Impressive ------ an 88 key piano that almost fits into a hand-bag. I didn't see that one before. Surprised me heheh.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I think the Piano de Voyage is what you want:

https://pianodevoyage.com/

It comes in sections and easily fits in a backpack. I have one that I am willing to sell as I do not travel much these days.

J
J
. . .

There's this:

Forgot to mention - 33" x 8" would be ideal (give or take an inch either way) with full size keys, headphone jack, battery power. Speaker(s) optional, but would have to be on the underside due to the size restriction. I don't really care about the thickness too much, but it has to be sturdy enough to stand on its own (no foldables).

I'm not trying to hijack the thread - it's just that the OP and I seem to be searching for a similar product.

it's fair enough to hold out for someone to manufacture and sell exactly what you want, but i think there's a clear reason that it's not (widely?) available. it's because there is a very workable alternative - use a MIDI controller, a mobile device (phone or tablet - which most people already own), and headphones and/or portable speaker (which most people already own). because this works so well for so many people, you might not ever see the exact product you want as there might not be the market for it. but my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
[quote=Charles Cohen]

It's not true that nobody does. I think Go:keys, NP12, CTS1 are what the respective companies think of the smallest size for a reasonable compact self-contained 61-full-sized-key keyboard. The controller-sized Bora 88-key foldables (there might be a similar 61-key compact cheapo) show that a more compact size is somehow feasible, but the sound suffers seriously on account of inadequate speakers. I'm not sure if portable external speakers are a solution these days, because wired audio inputs have mostly disappeared from the latter in favour of BT with inadequate latency.

J
J
Originally Posted by _sem_
I'm not sure if portable external speakers are a solution these days, because wired audio inputs have mostly disappeared from the latter in favour of BT with inadequate latency.

fair point - they're becoming harder and harder to find

Originally Posted by LarryK
I think the Piano de Voyage is what you want:

https://pianodevoyage.com/

It comes in sections and easily fits in a backpack. I have one that I am willing to sell as I do not travel much these days.

Yes! That's almost exactly what I described! And (I think) it fits the bill for the OP, except maybe the price (~ $1000 USD). At least we know somebody actually makes such a thing. Will have to research. Thank you!

Last edited by OregonJim; 04/07/22 12:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
MSRPs, Margins, Price Matching, DP Retailers
by bob@pei - 06/28/22 10:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,714
Posts3,204,034
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission